• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Vought JTACMS/ATACMS (MGM-140)

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Vought JTACMS (Joint Tactical Missile System) with F-16 model found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-F-16-JTACMS-Topping-Precise-Experimental-Version-Factory-Desk-Model-/182058153075?hash=item2a6382f473:g:E-UAAOSwx-9Wvs4h

Attachments

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Lockheed Martin (LTV) MGM-140 ATACMS

The ATACMS (Army Tactical Missile System) is the U.S. Army's current short/medium-range tactical ballistic missile system. Development began in 1982, when the DOD combined the Army's CSWS (Corps Support Weapon System, started in 1980 as a successor to MGM-52 Lance) and the Air Force's CSW (Conventional Standoff Weapon) programs into the JTACMS (Joint Tactical Missile System) program. In 1985, after pre-development contracts had been awarded to several companies, the USAF pulled out of the program, and JTACMS was renamed ATACMS.

In May 1986 the prime contract for development of ATACMS was awarded to Ling-Temco-Vought (LTV), and shortly thereafter, the missile designator MGM-140 was assigned. The first flight of an XMGM-140A missile occurred in April 1988, and in December of that year, low-rate production started. The MGM-140A ATACMS became operational in January 1991, and began to replace the MGM-52 Lance SRBM. In U.S. Army service, the complete ATACMS missile round including the launch pod is known as M39. LTV's missile division was aquired by Loral in 1992, forming Loral Vought Systems, which was in turn purchased by Lockheed Martin in 1996. The current prime contractor for ATACMS is Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control.

Source:
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-140.html

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
A shame. I'll bet they wish they had it now.

Ronny

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
This is like the first Kinzhal

sferrin

Reaction score

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
I highly suspect the ATACMS replacement (Precision Strike Missile PrSM) will evolve into an air launched version. It will be smaller, lighter, and longer ranged with two per pod on MLRS and HIMARS. Two different companies (I assume Lockmart and Raytheon; I can't recall) have submissions that will be tested beginning of next year; both indicate that the 500km requirement can be exceeded now that the US has withdrawn from INF.

sferrin

Reaction score
I highly suspect the ATACMS replacement (Precision Strike Missile PrSM) will evolve into an air launched version. It will be smaller, lighter, and longer ranged with two per pod on MLRS and HIMARS. Two different companies (I assume Lockmart and Raytheon; I can't recall) have submissions that will be tested beginning of next year; both indicate that the 500km requirement can be exceeded now that the US has withdrawn from INF.
Throw a Harpoon booster on it and it'll still fit in a Harpoon launch tube.

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
The initial version will be GPS/INS guidance only, though the USMC in particular is interested in a version with terminal homing for the ASuW role. It would have more range than NSM, albeit with a much more obvious flight profile.

sferrin

Reaction score
The initial version will be GPS/INS guidance only, though the USMC in particular is interested in a version with terminal homing for the ASuW role. It would have more range than NSM, albeit with a much more obvious flight profile.
I wonder how much glide they could get out of it with some strakes installed. Maybe replace the motor with a dual pulse motor, accept some range loss, and then fly the last 10-15 miles at low altitude?