Vought E-101 Transport

Bill S

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Please forgive if this has been posted before, I did a search for Vought and found
mainly Postwar projects.

This is the E-101 Transport aircraft. Again a variation in Vought's numbering system.
From Vought Archives Enjoy!

Attachments

• E-101_Vought_Transport_Specs.jpg
    E-101_Vought_Transport_Specs.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 151
  • E-101_Vought_Transport_FrontView.jpg
    E-101_Vought_Transport_FrontView.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 181
  • E-101_Vought_Transport_Sideview.jpg
    E-101_Vought_Transport_Sideview.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 178
  • E-101_Vought_Transport_TopView.jpg
    E-101_Vought_Transport_TopView.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 162
IIRC, this looks much like an American Pilgrim design. Was that a company absorbed into United Aircraft?

Best Regards,

Artie Bob

Artie Bob said:
IIRC, this looks much like an American Pilgrim design. Was that a company absorbed into United Aircraft?

Best Regards,

Artie Bob

Funny, I was gonna say exactly the same thing! No, American Pilgrim was a division of Fairchild, just like Kreider-Reisner. All models of these companies eventually came to be known as Fairchild models. Do you know why the whole fuselage seems to be warped in the front view? Was it something to do with the scanning?

Stargazer2006 said:
Artie Bob said:

Best Regards,

Artie Bob

Funny, I was gonna say exactly the same thing! No, American Pilgrim was a division of Fairchild, just like Kreider-Reisner. All models of these companies eventually came to be known as Fairchild models. Do you know why the whole fuselage seems to be warped in the front view? Was it something to do with the scanning?

American was not a division of Fairchild, for a period it was Fairchild.
Sherman Fairchild had given up 55% of the control in his company to a financial conglomerate called the Aviation Corporation. The Fairchild Airplane Manufacturing Corporation's name was changed to the American Airplane and Engine Corporation and the Fairchild 100 became the American Pilgrim 100.

Based solely on the quoted weights it seems it would have been larger than the Fairchild 100.
The Fairchild 100 also used the Göttingen 398 airfoil and was designed by Virginius E. Clark.
Perhaps Clark was involved in this similar Vought project? Or it was sold to Vought?

The Vought listing gives "V-101" as a 1932 high-wing single-engine transport for USAAC. I believe this must have been a contender for the same specification as the Kredier-Reisner XC-31 (Fairchild 95), itself a development of the Pilgrim 100.

Attachments

• 051202-F-1234P-022.jpg
    051202-F-1234P-022.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 124
airman said:
in which year was projected ? ???

The microfilm was hard to read, it looks like it is dated in 1932

Stargazer2006 said:
Do you know why the whole fuselage seems to be warped in the front view? Was it something to do with the scanning?

Something with the drawing, or optical illusion. It was scanned in one piece,
I broke it up as that appears to be a common way of posting on the Forum,
rather than all in one piece.