Vought ALVRJ Ramjet Demonstrator

TinWing

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
These photos date from 2003 - a quarter of a century after the ALVRJ ceased to be an active program.
Does anyone notice a visual similarity to the current Orbital Systems Coyote ramjet powered target?

Attachments

• PICT0014 Ramjet missile left side l.jpg
    PICT0014 Ramjet missile left side l.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 714
  • PICT0015 Ramjet missile left front tail l.jpg
    PICT0015 Ramjet missile left front tail l.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 648
Greetings All -

Nothing like resurrecting an ancient thread :D

Here's a photo of the ALVRJ under the wing of another Vought product. Photo credit to Vought Retirees Club.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xA-7A 152651 NMC with ALVRJ.jpg
    xA-7A 152651 NMC with ALVRJ.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 635
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1972/1972%20-%202203.html

Also:

Attachments

• ALVRJ_028.jpg
    ALVRJ_028.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 554
  • ALVRJ_029.jpg
    ALVRJ_029.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 517
  • db_3365_025.jpg
    db_3365_025.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 203
  • db_3365_030.jpg
    db_3365_030.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 195
overscan said:
Makes me think "Kh-31"...

Yes I agree!
If I didn't know better I would have said Soviet/Russian

Regards
Pioneer

Greetings All -

One more image from the Vought Archives....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xA-7A 734 China Lake with ALVRJ.jpg
    xA-7A 734 China Lake with ALVRJ.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 189
Mark Nankivil said:
Greetings All -

One more image from the Vought Archives....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Notice the difference in fuselage length ahead of the wire harness fairing between this picture and 028 in my June 19th post. There appears to have been two different models. ???

sferrin said:
Notice the difference in fuselage length ahead of the wire harness fairing between this picture and 028 in my June 19th post. There appears to have been two different models. ???
The shorter one is the ALVRJ demonstrator (~1974), while the longer one is a tactical derivative for a Navy requirement (~1979).

Back in early 1973 when my college AIAA group toured Vought's missile division, this is one of the projects we were shown. We were told that Vought won the study contract in competition with a Hughes proposal that would've used a AIM-54 airframe adapted to a LVRJ. It's interesting to think of that leading to an advanced, extended range Phoenix without a significant weight or envelope increase. Still, I've always loved the lines of Vought's ALVRJ concepts and I think it's a shame no production derivaive ever eventuated.

The ALVRJ has a striking aerodynamic similarity to the Hsiung Feng III Ramjet Antiship Missile of Taiwanese Navy.

Attachments

• 100465665.jpg
    100465665.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 225
Just a case of form following function. Give an engineer a brief to design a ramjet powered missile and more than likely the design will be similar because of the various needs which must be satisfied.

Attachments

• alvrj_trolley.jpg
    alvrj_trolley.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 582
Looks like this topic needs a few more images!

Here are some VAHF images.

Attachments

• ALVRJ-1.jpg
    ALVRJ-1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 347
  • ALVRJ-2.jpg
    ALVRJ-2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 328
  • ALVRJ-3.jpg
    ALVRJ-3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 316
  • ALVRJ-4.jpg
    ALVRJ-4.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 319
Good Day All -

A good shot showing the aft end of the missile, courtesy of the Vought Archives.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zLTV ALVRJ on A-7E Mar-1971.jpg
    zLTV ALVRJ on A-7E Mar-1971.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 194
These photos date from 2003 - a quarter of a century after the ALVRJ ceased to be an active program.
Does anyone notice a visual similarity to the current Orbital Systems Coyote ramjet powered target?

"Why only Russian could have all the cool supersonic stuff? We want our own Moskit!!!"

The LTV ALVRJ was a missed opportunity that could've been developed into a fairly capable ASM/AShM.

So, why this, when SM-6 already exists and massively out-ranges it.
The SM-6 is primarily an anti-aircraft missile, a modified Coyote could be used as either an AShM or an ARM also by fitting it with a Mk-72 booster it could be fired from a ship's Mk-41 VLS instead having to launch it from a land based facility.

The Coyote SSST could be modified to create a lightweight AShM or as an ARM.

Lightweight? It's Terrier-sized.
The Terrier booster could be replaced with a Mk-72 booster

Out ranges it when flown ballistically. Not as a sea-skimmer. That said, it wouldn't be able to carry much of a warhead (Coyote that is).

The SM-6 is primarily an anti-aircraft missile, a modified Coyote could be used as either an AShM or an ARM also by fitting it with a Mk-72 booster it could be fired from a ship's Mk-41 VLS instead having to launch it from a land based facility.
The Mk72 has less (quite a bit less IIRC) ISP than the Mk70 booster. Would it have enough to get it to speed?

Yes, I'm very familiar with this weapon

The thing is, SM-6 seems to fill the need for a high-speed AShM nicely, with significant range and nasty terminal effects thanks to its near vertical arrival at high speed. Granted, it's not a sea skimmer, but not many ships are set up to deal with a volley of Mach 4+ high divers either.

For sea-skimming, there is a pretty strong school of thought that faster is not always better. It forces you higher and raises your IR signature, both of which increase detection ranges. Low, slow, and preferably stealthy, is very effective.

I think a pairing of SM-6 with Tomahawk MST, NSM, or (ideally) LRASM is a very potent combo that stresses the hell out of a defender. Coyote doesn't add significantly to their problem set, especially given the tiny (barely OTH) range it offers.