Viscount to Vanguard designs

fredgell

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the design transition from Viscount to Vanguard.

Particularly the issue of a pure jet Viscount - along the lines of Nene Viking and Tay Viscount.
On forum the Vickers project numbers have 850 Viscount Major and 870 Jet Viscount - but have been unable to find any info on these studies.

There is a note on web saying a jet viscount was proposed to Continental in 1959 or thereabouts.

From, Vickers Aircraft Since 1908.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 80
Does anyone have information on the design transition from Viscount to Vanguard.

Particularly the issue of a pure jet Viscount - along the lines of Nene Viking and Tay Viscount.
On forum the Vickers project numbers have 850 Viscount Major and 870 Jet Viscount - but have been unable to find any info on these studies.

There is a note on web saying a jet viscount was proposed to Continental in 1959 or thereabouts.
Dear Fredgell, I understand the fuselage diameter of the Viscount is the same as the diameter of the fuselage lower lobe in the Vanguard's double-bubble fuselage. I did post images of stretched Viscount (the original 800 version) and early Vanguard artist's impressions/models in this site before; no doubt they've been "merged" into some unrelated topic.

Terry (Caravellarella)

The V.800 stretched Viscount in the back ground & the V.900 Vanguard......
I've been unable to find the earlier posts you mentioned re fuselage design transition unfortunately. Elsewhere Hood posted a link to Stuck on Drawing Board p51 which has a diagram showing a 4 Nene Viscount dated 1956 - I'm sure the press clipping re late 50s proposal mentioned different engines. Avons might have been appropriate by then.

The V.800 stretched Viscount in the back ground & the V.900 Vanguard......
I've been unable to find the earlier posts you mentioned re fuselage design transition unfortunately. Elsewhere Hood posted a link to Stuck on Drawing Board p51 which has a diagram showing a 4 Nene Viscount dated 1956 - I'm sure the press clipping re late 50s proposal mentioned different engines. Avons might have been appropriate by then.
Are you in the UK Fredgell? have you been to the Brooklands archives? What you're seeking might be there?

Terry (Caravellarella)

Last edited: