Various Handley Page civilian aircraft designs

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
[Civil aircraft ?] Boring ? Not at all !

1. Handley Page 117 Flying Wing

2. Handley Page slewed Wing SST
(Drawing from www.strangeplanes.com edited, as landing configuration was wrong)

Attachments

• HP117.JPG
    HP117.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,698
  • HP-slewed-wing.jpg
    HP-slewed-wing.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,420
Handley Page studied some flying wing airliners.
HP.117 has been posted here by Jemiba (this design has also military variants: troop carrier and ASW)
HP.126. All wing 100 seater
HP.134 Ogee Aerobus. Evolved from HP.126 with smoother ogival plan and central fin and rudder. Designed for 154 passengers. This aircraft looks almost the same as the Airbus study but design date is between 1962 and 1965.

Another project by Handley Page, a 300-seat laminar flow airliner from 1961.

Source document

Attachments

• Handley-Page projected 300-seat laminated flow airliner (1961).jpg
    Handley-Page projected 300-seat laminated flow airliner (1961).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,108
I'm intrigued by the slewed wing concept, Was that a hinged variable wing? the Landing position looks to differ from the main wing illustration.

Fin and fuselage/cockpit nacelle would have been hinged, as well as the engines, of course.
Tried to depict this project in take-off/landing and cruising configuration for the AIAA paper
"A Summary Of A Half-Century of Oblique Wing Research" by Mike Hirschberg. Honestly not quite
sure today, why I gave it such a long landing gear. The engine pods are the limiting factor and
if the wing is slewed even further back, clearance would be further reduce, but the landing gear
would have to be slewable then, too...

Stéphane, I once found such a plan, too, but it clearly was a wrong interpretation of the concept,
the Sycamore was designed as an oblique flying wing.
From the mentioned AIAA paper, a statement from Sir Godfrey H.Lee, then deputy chief designer :
"I should like to emphasize that the above results are very preliminary and that the opinions expressed are my own and not
necessarily those of my firm. I think the results given are sufficiently near the truth to constitute an [font=timesnewroman,italic]a priori [/font]case for giving
serious consideration to the slewed-wing concept, the possibilities of which were first brought to my notice by R.T. Jones, of

N.A.S.A., during the Madrid Conference in 1958."

Attachments

• HP-Sycamore.gif
    HP-Sycamore.gif
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,061
I removed my post as it would seem I misinterpreted the plans.

You'll have to admit, however, that the "landing configuration" depicted further above was wrong.

No problems with admitting that, it was more or less just an attempt to show, what this
aircraft could have looked like sitting on the apron or slowly climbing after take-off.
Actually, searching through the appropriate folder, I found again, what led me to the
long landing gear: It was an article from "The Aeroplane, where it is shown in dotted lines.
Additionally, the section shows something, that could be the stowed wheels, although I'm
not sure with that, but it would show, that the landing gear would have been near the
centerline, as expected. But the drawing is described as "possible layout", so, for sure, it's
just an interpretation of the original idea. And I wouldn't take it for granted, that Sir Lee
ever bothered with the shape and position of the landing gear ... ;)

Attachments

• HP_slewed_wing-1.gif
    HP_slewed_wing-1.gif
    145.9 KB · Views: 931
  • maybe_landing_gear.gif
    maybe_landing_gear.gif
    71.9 KB · Views: 213
Here is some Handley page designs.

Attachments

• HP.126.JPG
    HP.126.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 263
  • HP.119.jpg
    HP.119.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 297
  • HP-113.png
    HP-113.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 286
  • HP-113.gif
    HP-113.gif
    53 KB · Views: 310
  • hp111.JPG
    hp111.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 301
  • HP.109 & Bristol-198.JPG
    HP.109 & Bristol-198.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 264
hesham, I don't think these all represent "civilian" designs, which is what this topic is about.

Besides, these pictures already exist in other topics, it is best not to duplicate them, just a link to them is enough.

Stargazer2006 said:
hesham, I don't think these all represent "civilian" designs, which is what this topic is about.

Besides, these pictures already exist in other topics, it is best not to duplicate them, just a link to them is enough.

Stargazer,

all the projects are a civilian designs,that first,and second,for duplication,please see this;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3428.msg27303.html#msg27303

you still don't use the search.

hesham said:
you still don't use the search.

Come on, hesham. Do NOT speak to me as if I were an idiot. :mad: I use the search engine dozens of times every week... If I didn't, I couldn't possibly reorganize the forum's topics the way I've been doing over the past few weeks...

In this particular case, I didn't have the designation for the HP project that I posted, so how could I find it in that particular topic? :-\

Also, if you didn't keep creating new topics all the time (and often when it's totally unnecessary), searching for things here would be A LOT easier! ::)

Please, would you calm down, both of you ?
First, hesham, I'm sure Stargazer is using the search function more often, than all of us !
we know, it's a little bit difficult to handle, but if you have problems, he probably is the one,
to give the best clues for it. The HP.119, for example can just be found by typing "handley
page 119" and then it shows up in its very own topic, the HP.113 was shown in several other
topics, too.
Our problem is, that amongst the mass of old topics, there are still a lot with featureless titles.
They often contain lots of worthwhile posts, but without real chances, to be found. A good example
is the "British little known aircraft and projects post WW2" thread, with aircraft ranging from human
powered aircraft to supersonic fighters. And this thread was increased recently !
I'll try to split it up now and again an appeal to you all, not to increase such clutter, but create more
precise ones and report to the moderators then, when you find posts, that could be merged.

From an original HP.113 brochure:

Attachments

• HP113e.jpg
    HP113e.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 278
  • HP113d.jpg
    HP113d.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 193
  • HP113c.jpg
    HP113c.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 182
  • HP113b.jpg
    HP113b.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 206
  • HP113a.jpg
    HP113a.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 222
Re: Various Handley Page civilian and military transport aircraft designs

At first,I hope the Moderator change the title as above,

instead off open new topic for HP military transport aircraft.

Here is some civil and military transport aircraft projects;

HP.72 military transport project intended for C15/45 Spec.
HP.73 military transport aircraft project,based on Hastings III
HP.76 civil transport project intended for Brabazon 2B competition
HP.78 civil transport project,with four engines,for Brabazon 2B competition
HP.134 Ogee Aerobus project of 1965,powered by three by-bus turbojets

https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=L-k5AwAAQBAJ&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=Handley+Page+HP.130+aircraft&source=bl&ots=Qzx2ylsC6b&sig=HuQvGZ81entOPH4yNqyPvok1XcM&hl=ar&sa=X&ei=A76vVLW1A47saPnbgIgE&ved=0CFkQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=Handley%20Page%20HP.130%20aircraft&f=false

Attachments

• HP-134.png
    HP-134.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 298
  • HP-78.png
    HP-78.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 267
  • HP-76.png
    HP-76.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 242
  • HP-73.png
    HP-73.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 277
  • HP-72.png
    HP-72.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 312
I found this drawing of the HP.113:

handleypagehp113.png

I was wondering if anybody has a three view drawing of it?

Higher resolution copies of the brochure...

:)

Zeb

Attachments

• HP113-1.jpg
    HP113-1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 622
  • HP113-2.jpg
    HP113-2.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 589
  • HP113-3.jpg
    HP113-3.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 545
  • HP113-4.jpg
    HP113-4.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 546
  • HP113-5.jpg
    HP113-5.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 535
Ok... now that I have access to my library again it would be rude not to post a few bits and pieces from the collection...

Handley Page HP127 Jet Herald, from Herald Facts No.30

Of interest is the similarity to the fictional Scott Furlong Sovereign from the TV series The Planemakers...

Zeb

Attachments

• HP-127-1.jpg
    HP-127-1.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 277
  • HP-127-2.jpg
    HP-127-2.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 258
Looks like an early iteration of the project, of note is the Canberra derived nose section*. I can't help wondering if HP had planned to use the jigs left over from their licence production of Canberras...

Zeb

*CH Barnes, Handley Page Aircraft since 1907, p.571

Some more on the HP113 from the Autumn 1958 Handley Page Bulletin... again note the Canberra derived nose and its description as a High Speed Research Jetliner...

Zeb

Attachments

• HP113-1.jpg
    HP113-1.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 165
  • HP113-2.jpg
    HP113-2.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 195
Having looked at the HP.113 Design Study file at Kew, I could find no reference to why the Canberra nose was used. I think partly it was due to its availability and a way to keep costs done, the file is certainly very pre-occupied with how much the programme would cost, at least £4.29M in the MoS's opinion and possibly as high as £5.3M if two were built.
Also, the Canberra nose was probably among the most aerodynamic for a medium-sized aircraft at the time and HP probably felt it would have smooth fuselage laminar flow for possible further work into sucking off fuselage boundary air as also proposed for the HP airliner studies.

That makes sense Hood... another thing that came to mind whilst looking at the brochure last night was the similarity of the revised nose, particularly the glasswork, to the later Jetstream..? I wonder if some of the design work was again reused and wether the name Jetstream was originally intended for this...?

Zeb

[Civil aircraft ?] Boring ? Not at all !

(Drawing from www.strangeplanes.com edited, as landing configuration was wrong)

From L+K 6/1991,

the same drawing,but I want to ask,it had a two slewed-wings ,in each sides ?.

No. From the paper included above, this was an asymmetric design. It's essentially a flying wing.

Obviously this was just a what-if study rather than a serious project, but I can't imagine what benefit was anticipated from placing the cockpit and fin on opposite ends of the wing. Maybe a bit of span-loading, but this would have been dwarfed by the penalty of 3 separate pivot mechanisms.

I believe it was designed to be, among other things, able to operate from more constricted runways (while still being Mach 2 capable), something which was becoming an increasing issue as the 1960s dawned. The 'Sycamore' dates from 1961, I believe (though work on the concept dates back to at least 1958 as noted earlier in the thread). It was actually intended as a serious project, but the necessary stability & control technology wasn't quite there yet. It would have carried a 150 passengers.

Last edited:

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 160
  • b.png
    b.png
    10 KB · Views: 141
  • c.png
    c.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 140
  • d.png
    d.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 132
  • e.png
    e.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 129
  • f.png
    f.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 123
  • g.png
    g.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 119
  • h.png
    h.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 115
  • i.png
    i.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 117
  • i.png
    i.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 135
For the member Sheepster,

can I ask you what was Handley Page HP.121 and HP.136 ?.

HP 117
01ATFUUH.jpg
01ATFUUF.jpg

Last edited:
hp-slewed-wing-jpg.174447

I once picked up some loose pages from a book with a very similar version of this drawing in. It says the design was published in 1961 and "In theory you get 10-20 percent better lift/drag ratios and thus 10-20 per cent less fuel requirements than a slender delta. There are admittedly certain mechanical and stability problems..." All I know about the book is that it is quite small and the H-P design is on Page 54. It goes on to talk about a government Committee making a decision, but what about I cannot tell. Any ideas what the book might be?

hp-slewed-wing-jpg.174447

I once picked up some loose pages from a book with a very similar version of this drawing in. It says the design was published in 1961 and "In theory you get 10-20 percent better lift/drag ratios and thus 10-20 per cent less fuel requirements than a slender delta. There are admittedly certain mechanical and stability problems..." All I know about the book is that it is quite small and the H-P design is on Page 54. It goes on to talk about a government Committee making a decision, but what about I cannot tell. Any ideas what the book might be?

It is in The Anatomy of the Airplane by Darrol Stinton if this is the one you are looking for?
In there it is page 255 and has a different caption and a slightly different drawing, if that helps?

It is in The Anatomy of the Airplane by Darrol Stinton if this is the one you are looking for?
In there it is page 255 and has a different caption and a slightly different drawing, if that helps?

Thanks. Not the same book, but sounds like one worth looking out for.

Thanks. Not the same book, but sounds like one worth looking out for.

Here is the book.

Attachments

• The-Anatomy-of-the-Airplane.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 46