Van Dusen LTA 20 « Magnus » spherical airship prototype (1982)

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Magnus Spherical Airship

Attachments

• aboutPic1.jpg
    aboutPic1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 466
  • tumblr_kpcpzfplN91qzsgg9o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_kpcpzfplN91qzsgg9o1_500.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 116
  • tumblr_kpd1pbMvWH1qzsgg9o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_kpd1pbMvWH1qzsgg9o1_500.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 360
  • aboutPic4.jpg
    aboutPic4.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 368
  • aboutPic3.jpg
    aboutPic3.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 426
  • aboutPic2.jpg
    aboutPic2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 425
Triton said:
Magnus Spherical Airship
I was under the impression there was a flaw in the theory/design of the Magnus and that it didn't work as it was supposed to. Any information on this?

Randy

RanulfC said:
Triton said:
Magnus Spherical Airship
I was under the impression there was a flaw in the theory/design of the Magnus and that it didn't work as it was supposed to. Any information on this?

Randy

IIRC, it was great at lifting extremely heavy/outsized loads, but it's downfall was that it's spherical shape turned out to be high drag at anything resembling high speeds, which limited the design's utility.

The « Magnus » spherical airship has to be the weirdest LTA (lighter-than-air) prototype ever. It was produced in 1982 by the little-known Van Dusen Commercial Development Ltd.

"I am not a number, I'm a free man!!!"

Rover.jpg

(Thanks Obb for sharing...)

Attachments

• zVan Dusen LTA20 Heavy Lift Airship AvWeek 11-30-81.jpg
    zVan Dusen LTA20 Heavy Lift Airship AvWeek 11-30-81.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
Hoping that what follows does not repeat what is found above.

Van Dusen Commercial Development (Canada) of Ottawa began to take an interest in airships around February 1978. A market study enabled it to specify the configuration of an airship more efficient than its predecessors. Radical in appearance to say the least, the LTA-20 flying crane had a circular envelope rather than a cigar-shaped one. Said envelope contained helium put under pressure. It rotated around the horizontal axis which supported the command pod to create lift.

This was an original application of the Magnus effect, to say the least, an effect described but not discovered in 1852 by the German physicist Heinrich Gustav Magnus. The Magnus Effect explains, for example, the behavior of balls in sports such as baseball, golf and table tennis.

Van Dusen Commercial Development (Canada) began manufacturing a demonstration model of the LTA-20 in May 1981. This radio-controlled model made its maiden flight in October. In 1983, the management considered the possibility of transferring the project to Europe. That project failed. Also in 1983, a team from the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies which included James Duncan DeLaurier carried out research to improve the concept. Three different scale radio-controlled demo models flew in 1984. Van Dusen Commercial Development (Canada) wished to complete a piloted proof-of-concept prototype but may not have started construction. The activities during the 1990s of Magnus Aerospace Corporation, a name adopted around 1985, went beyond the work I did years ago. Apologies. That said, the point is that the company's plans did not result in any series production.

I can almost see an orbital ECHO balloon with a fast tracking dish inside with the underslung pod and a gravity gradient keel. Or a central feed horn with half the sphere transparent on the outside and reflective inside-electronic tint like.

In this picture of the dinosaur above the fleet, any wrong wind gust might cause alot of damage.

... Which somehow is precisely how most giant LTAs ended up. Looks like some people never learn.

the lower component very much has the aesthetic look of the 'martian war machine' from the George Pal 'War of the Worlds' film

Back
Top Bottom