USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 - on fire

When I was on CVN-65 in the early to mid 80's, a fire of this type would have been put out with no loss of a ship. When my Wife and I (including some Navy buddies and their families) went to the CVN-65 inactivation ceremony in 2012, there was an onboard Starbucks and a full 1950's soda fountain, need I say more, turning Navy ships into social media/tech work places. My Wife asked if we had something similar, no I said, we were in the real Navy. I heard there are two new ships being commissioned, USS Tik Tok and USS Instagram, the DOD dropped funding for the USS Facebook though.

If he did start the fire,did he have help? Seems odd that one man could
disable the firehoses with out being seen or questioned.

I'm a moderate skeptic here. As with the Iowa gun explosion incident the Navy could well be looking for a scape goat in an E-2 lowly Seaman Apprentice rather than bother with a thorough investigation that might uncover stuff that would make senior officers look incompetent and bad.
Sure, this guy might have done it, but I doubt that the Navy is going to do the sort of thorough investigation to prove that and rather just get enough dirt and circumstantial evidence to get a conviction at a court martial.

When I was on CVN-65 in the early to mid 80's, a fire of this type would have been put out with no loss of a ship. When my Wife and I (including some Navy buddies and their families) went to the CVN-65 inactivation ceremony in 2012, there was an onboard Starbucks and a full 1950's soda fountain, need I say more, turning Navy ships into social media/tech work places. My Wife asked if we had something similar, no I said, we were in the real Navy. I heard there are two new ships being commissioned, USS Tik Tok and USS Instagram, the DOD dropped funding for the USS Facebook though.
In the comparison with a "real navy" of 18 century modern ships are not as comfortable and nice! Imagine the sailors, who spent their free time in jive talking (rather social networks), everyday visits fitness club (for many hours!), eat and drink a well-balanced ecologically grown corned beef and drinks just water and rum? No signs of any air pollution, as they use recycled energy of wind. And, moreover, there have been so few metal parts in ship, that it could be treated as "stealth"! So - set sails, back to the future!

I was on the 'Prize from 82 to 85 in E-Division. At one point when we were in the IO on deployment, the ice machines and much of the other gedunk like ice cream machines were broken down. It became a serious morale crisis and engineering stood up a special shop (EE-22) to deal with the issue. I'm an expert on fixing Taylor Freeze ice cream machines among other galley gear on that ship at the time as a result...

I have to say that the 'facilities' of US forces were part of what made the whole bloody Op Granby less of a chore, that and they actively encouraged other nation troops to use their facilities. Who cut our hair, US forces, Who made sure everyone had what they needed no matter who? US forces. I will never forget or be able to properly repay the kindness, decency and generosity. Giants among us.

I was on the 'Prize from 82 to 85 in E-Division. At one point when we were in the IO on deployment, the ice machines and much of the other gedunk like ice cream machines were broken down. It became a serious morale crisis and engineering stood up a special shop (EE-22) to deal with the issue. I'm an expert on fixing Taylor Freeze ice cream machines among other galley gear on that ship at the time as a result...
I was in AIMD 80 to 84 and on the 82-83 WestPac, don't you miss the sterilize milk when we were in the IO?

I was in AIMD 80 to 84 and on the 82-83 WestPac, don't you miss the sterilize milk when we were in the IO?
You should thank me that the forward galley on the 2nd deck that served sliders rarely could serve the powdered french fries and had to do frozen ones instead. Those Frispo-Matic (made in Blackfoot Idaho btw) french fry makers were always down and waiting for parts. :D We in EE 22 made sure of that! Those were the nastiest things going and the machines were very touchy even when you had the parts. Too dry and they were furry, too wet and they looked like diarrhea. They tasted like the later too. So, they always needed "parts."

You should thank me that the forward galley on the 2nd deck that served sliders rarely could serve the powdered french fries and had to do frozen ones instead. Those Frispo-Matic (made in Blackfoot Idaho btw) french fry makers were always down and waiting for parts. :D We in EE 22 made sure of that! Those were the nastiest things going and the machines were very touchy even when you had the parts. Too dry and they were furry, too wet and they looked like diarrhea. They tasted like the later too. So, they always needed "parts."
Remember the near-riot un-fried chicken incident?

Please do tell us more. I'll spill on the mini mutiny we had on Op Granby in return.

Remember the near-riot un-fried chicken incident?
That one I don't remember. The IO ice machines--there was just one working and Reactor Lab Division (RL) was taking the ice for stuff they had to do. That led to standing up EE 22 and taking away repair of supply equipment from the DC department.
Another issue was the ship's laundry with half their gear down. Made it nice though. Got to wash my clothes in freshwater while I fixed the saltwater 200 lbs. crew washers or the 60 lbs. ones for the officers. Totally 1960's technology in those!
I think the worst supply machine to work on though was the donut maker. It was covered in a hard coating of sugar frosting that you had to chip away to get at anything and underneath was eeeewwww...

I think the worst supply machine to work on though was the donut maker. It was covered in a hard coating of sugar frosting that you had to chip away to get at anything and underneath was eeeewwww...
Now that's a job for... Homer Simpson !

There seems to be a lack of focus in this, evidence seemingly withheld, and witnesses 'lost'. What next? If he did it then imho, it's treason but it has to be a safe conviction.

There seems to be a lack of focus in this, evidence seemingly withheld, and witnesses 'lost'. What next? If he did it then imho, it's treason but it has to be a safe conviction.

Not treason. There's a constitutional definition of treason in the US and the bar is exceptionally high. "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort."

Doing something that harms the US military in and of itself is not treason; you have to do it directly in support or concert with an actual enemy, meaning a country or group with which we are currently at war.

Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it Treason. - Sir John Harrington

Not treason. There's a constitutional definition of treason in the US and the bar is exceptionally high. "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort."

Doing something that harms the US military in and of itself is not treason; you have to do it directly in support or concert with an actual enemy, meaning a country or group with which we are currently at war.
I used the term 'imho' for a reason. I believe anything that removes an asset to defence of the nation, especially one this big (In terms of financial outlay and at the end of a huge refit) is definitely giving aid and comfort to enemies.

I used the term 'imho' for a reason. I believe anything that removes an asset to defence of the nation, especially one this big (In terms of financial outlay and at the end of a huge refit) is definitely giving aid and comfort to enemies.

Your opinion is wrong, legally speaking. The case law over 250 years is very clear -- it has to be a specific enemy and deliberate support, not just some nebulous hypothetical/future enemy.

With all due respect, I did not state my opinion to be law and you wanting to shoot down my opinion as law is misplaced. It is also pointless and irrelevant. Have a nice week mate.

And he's been acquitted by a military judge.

Happy it worked out for him.
He's still almost certainly getting kicked out of the Navy with an Other than Honorable. He failed a drug screening. The Navy was only keeping him on Active Duty for the Court Martial

And he's been acquitted by a military judge.

Happy it worked out for him.
He's still almost certainly getting kicked out of the Navy with an Other than Honorable. He failed a drug screening. The Navy was only keeping him on Active Duty for the Court Martial

Oh, for sure. And he honestly seems like a terrible fit for service. The only job he wanted was a "cool" gig like being a SEAL, but then he dropped out on like Day 2 of BUDS and sulked like a child after that.

Depending on what he popped hot for, he might skate out with a General Discharge, but he's not staying in.

Some folks here are going to hate reading this one. Seems the accused sailor may have been a minor hero, helping fellow sailors in berthing near the fire get woken up and evacuated. And he reported contractors doing unscheduled hot work in a berthing space a few days earlier but got counseled for swearing in the text to his supervisor. I mean, you have to be an idiot for cursing in a text to an officer, but maybe his heart was in the right place?

Last edited: