• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 - on fire

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
This completely blew my mind. In France we got a similar incident one month ago, losing one Rubis SNA (attack nuclear sub) the exact same way. MN Perle was the last Rubis build, and its blaze come at the worst moment, when the first Barracuda is in trial with IOC in 2022 only.

In both cases the ship might be written off, with severe consequences.

WTF ?

Purpletrouble

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
We were 10 mins from loss of a frigate I was on. I hefted fire extinguishers as I was nearby until the response team rocked up and I was sent away (wearing shorts!).

If it had got out of that compartment, there was nothing much to stop it taking the two main central sections. Hence loss of ship.

All down to:
(A) batteries disposed of in normal waste.
(B) operating a frigate designed for 2-3 weeks at sea in the cold Atlantic - for 7 months in the very hot middle east with a crew 30% bigger than designed for. Thus the gash room wasnt big enough (didn’t have a proper disposal unit) and there was far more in there than should have been.
(C) oh and the UK (over?) adhering to dumping at sea regs.

Sailors did well controlling it. Hell of a mess.

But this is just another reason why T45/26/31 are so much bigger. Proper freezers as well vs just cold rooms and lifts to take stores up/down vs by hand.

CJGibson

Reaction score
"(C) oh and the UK (over?) adhering to dumping at sea regs"

Didn't the Kuznetzov have a garbage related fire last year?

Chris

SSgtC

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The thing with Bonnie Dick is, she literally just left the dockyard after a $249 million refit. The reason the fire got so bad is that she was still being worked on. Her fire main was out of service, cables wires and pipes were running through hatches so they couldn't close them to isolate the fire, and her Halon fire suppression system was also disabled because the welding equipment being used would set it off and that would basically kill everyone in the compartment. Basically the worst possible luck for her.

TomS

Reaction score
"(C) oh and the UK (over?) adhering to dumping at sea regs"

Didn't the Kuznetzov have a garbage related fire last year?

Chris
Welding accident during maintenance that ignited some oily rags and in turn lit garbage on fire.

FWIW, they have said that no welding was happening where the BHR fire started.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
One thing is for certain, the lawyers are going to have a field day, and many, many, many billable hours for the foreseeable future.