Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Exactly a month ago France lost one of its nuclear attack subs (the last Rubis class build 25 years ago: MN Perle) the exact same way, in our very own San Diego, that is, Toulon.

It was to be maintenance and upgrade, it ended a flamming toast and probably a total loss. o_O

Some good news:

Last edited:
Well gotta admit French tenacity on this. Guess they can accept the use of even older hull part (Saphir is like 10 years older than Perle).

We have no choice ! While I understand present USN mistakes and embarassments (LCS horror) it merely remains embarassments of riches. Other navies are not so rich... :rolleyes: Hopefully with the first Barracuda in trials this "frankein-sub" will only be a stopgap...

And it has to be said that they appear to have done quite a good job on the reconstruction, especially under the current circumstances.

Repair looks to be progressing nicely... they just finished welding the 2 hulls together (which is the hardest part).

A few more weeks of work to reconnect 135 cables (with 2,000 individual wires) and 60 pipes, then the “new” sub will be sent back around Gibraltar to Toulon (on a transporter) to finish her refit and nuke refueling.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=_qFBriKbj6Q

Last edited:
Saphirs can be made into pearls...
I have no doubt that new hybrid sub will be MN crown jewel (run for cover)

PER-le + saph-IR = PERIR (= perish, not a very fortunate name for a ship !) "Sauver ou perir" (save or perish) is French firemen motto - and since the sub was nearly lost to a fire...

Last edited:
Saphirs can be made into pearls...
I have no doubt that new hybrid sub will be MN crown jewel (run for cover)

PER-le + saph-IR = PERIR (= perish, not a very fortunate name for a ship !) "Sauver ou perir" (save or perish) is French firemen motto - and since the sub was nearly lost to a fire...

Transplant successful… the SSN Perle is now back at sea following a catastrophic fire 3 years ago. Only half of the original hull remains!

Pic of the repair below:
https://twitter.com/800Tonnes/status/1661132278871871488?s=20

Sauveur (savior) because "Sauver ou périr" (save or perish) - and PERIR was half PERle and half saphIR

Back
Top Bottom