• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

USN VFX Competition (Alternatives to the F-14)

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
My impression (but I could be wrong) is that these were simply a decorative addition to use as a stand for vertical display.

Pyrrhic victory

This is going to hurt
Reaction score
Captures from a 1990 Grumman promotional video for VX-9 who were receiving the then new F-14D. In a history retrospective a pre 303-60 model, the 303-60, and single place 303 models are showcased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT7PuWXji7Y (starts at 4:52)

Attachments

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome! Looks like its seen some action ;)

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From Curtis Mooney on Facebook Group "The Greatest Planes That Never Were"

My dad, Walter E. Mooney, had a concept for the convair TFX (x44) which featured twin vertical tails and small canard surfaces just ahead of the engine intakes (just like the F-14), and his boss, Ed Heinemann (designer of the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk) killed it saying, "Mooney, I guarantee you one thing; the winning design will *not* have twin tails.

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
My dad, Walter E. Mooney, had a concept for the convair TFX (x44) which featured twin vertical tails and small canard surfaces just ahead of the engine intakes (just like the F-14), and his boss, Ed Heinemann (designer of the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk) killed it saying, "Mooney, I guarantee you one thing; the winning design will *not* have twin tails.
Did Heinemann work at Convair? I hadn't realized that, as I always thought he worked just for Douglas. I guess I'll have to look more into his history.

Abraham Gubler

Reaction score
Sundog said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Did Heinemann work at Convair? I hadn't realized that, as I always thought he worked just for Douglas. I guess I'll have to look more into his history.
He worked there from around 1960 and was key to the F-111 and F-16 designs.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Abraham Gubler said:
Sundog said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
He worked there from around 1960 and was key to the F-111 and F-16 designs.

According to Wikipedia:

Heinemann became Douglas's Chief Engineer in 1936. He remained with the company through 1960, when he left to join Guidance Technology. In 1962 he joined General Dynamics as Corporate Vice President of Engineering. In this position he oversaw the development of the F-16. He retired in 1973.

Sundog

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea he had anything to do with the F-16. That's very cool.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Vice-President he wasn't involved at the design level of course. Bob Widmer was in charge and Harry Hillaker was the Chief Engineer.

RAP

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Currently on Ebay, bid $365.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1960s-NORTH-AMERICAN-AVIATION-F-14-TOMCAT-COMPETITION-DESK-MODEL-AIRPLANE-/111380223905

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Other pics from auction. High quality pics, you can appreciate the shape very well.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Good shots,my dears Circle-5 and Paul.

RAP

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Photo recon version of MD 225.

Attachments

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great artwork you can see Phantom DNA there

J.A.W.

"Keep on Truckin'.."
Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Other pics from auction. High quality pics, you can appreciate the shape very well.
Inlet ducting quite like the XB-70 there, rather than XF-108/Vigilante - what was the design Mach?

RAP

Top Contributor
Reaction score
On page 9 of this topic there is a nice cutaway and a SAC which indicates Mach 2.4.

Sundog

Reaction score
RAP said:
On page 9 of this topic there is a nice cutaway and a SAC which indicates Mach 2.4.
I believe he is referring to the NAR Model 323, not the McDonnell Douglas Model 225. Or am I wrong J.A.W.?

J.A.W.

"Keep on Truckin'.."
Reaction score
Not wrong S, it just seems a bit curious why NAA would go to that effort for a twin & adapt an XB-70 type inlet.

J.A.W.

"Keep on Truckin'.."
Reaction score
Well it made a pretty penny.. ..is the blurb claiming a design Vmax of Mach 2.2 accurate for that NAA proposal?

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet - thanks for sharing!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Sundog

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I'm glad someone here was able to get it. :)

Delta Force

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
It's interesting that the Sea Eagle is mentioned as being usable on a wider variety of aircraft carriers than the F-14 or even the F-4. The Essex class carriers were on the way out while the F-14 and F-15 programs were being conceived, but perhaps a Sea Eagle could have increased the utility of the Midway class (which couldn't operate the F-14) and have caused changes in the design of smaller Western aircraft carriers of the 1970s and later towards the STOBAR configurations.

Also, I'm wondering if the Sea Eagle could have replaced several types of aircraft in the USN through a modular approach using various FAST packs (there was a diagram elsewhere with several proposed types other than the fuel types adopted). Some could be wired for roles requiring significant electrical power, such as Phoenix interceptors or electronic warfare. Others could carry FAST pack fuel tanks (perhaps even refueling equipment), reconnaissance packs, etc.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Mark Nankivil said:
Good Day All -

Two more Model 225 drawings for your perusal....

Enjoy the Day! Mark
It's interesting that the first image shows the Model 225 landing on a Forrestal-class CV, i.e. USS Independence.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From Aviation Week Archive: North American's VFX design team was led by Frank G Compton, the chief designer of the A-5 Vigilante.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19680520/18/2

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Higher res copy of this Rockwell VFX painting.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19680520/18/2

Attachments

fightingirish

Reaction score
Small update at SDASM Archives with two pictures of the Convair Model 44.
These pictures have been posted by PaulMM and OBB in better or in different quality in this topic before.
Source:
https://flic.kr/p/WtgnnM
https://flic.kr/p/WpVQqo

Attachments

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good Day All -

A recent treasure trove of a donation from a retired McAir engineer has a folder full of Model 225 wind tunnel images. This one is interesting as it appears to be a very early iteration with a F-4 Phantom style intake instead of the proposed production type intake (F-15 type layout). The forward fuselage looks to me to be far more like the Phantom as well. No date on the photo but interestingly credited to the Douglas - El Segundo Aerophysics Laboratory.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Amazing find my dear Mark.