USMC Doctrine Changes

Every time I look at this new concept of scattering the USMC across a swathe of Pacific Islands, I think about the Japanese in WWII, and how well that worked for them. And logistics was a huge part of the problem they faced, with many of their troops ultimately facing starvation, not the enemy.

Every time I look at this new concept of scattering the USMC across a swathe of Pacific Islands, I think about the Japanese in WWII, and how well that worked for them. And logistics was a huge part of the problem they faced, with many of their troops ultimately facing starvation, not the enemy.
Right.

The Allies bypassed most of those islands and let things like PT boats blockade them from getting resupplied. No reason to fight every single island on the way to Japan when you can get away with only invading the important ones.

The US also has a lot more options for resupply than the Imperial Japanese did.

@Scott Kenny Mack was bought outright by Renault Trucks in 1990. In 2001, AB Volvo became majority shareholder in Renault Trucks. In 2012, Renault sold its remaining shares to Volvo.
Mack's dealing with warranty work has probably changed since 40+ years ago. For better or for worse.

Last edited:
Pretty sure both of those are heavier than what the AH1 pylons can carry.
I'd have though any 150nm range weapon would be too heavy, yet here we are. From link:

he U.S. Marine Corps is transforming an unspecified U.S. Air Force missile into a weapon that will give its AH-1Z Viper attack helicopters the ability to strike moving targets on land and at sea 150 nautical miles away.

I was more surprised that JAGM is 2/3 the range of a late model Hellfire...
Don't buy the stated range of JAGM. Here's why - 8km at low altitude, low direct trajectory, 8km at high altitude, high trajectory. Makes no sense.

1714811312946.png

Last edited:
Don't buy the stated range of JAGM. Here's why - 8km at low altitude, low direct trajectory, 8km at high altitude, high direct trajectory. Makes no sense.
Agreed, pure glide range from high altitude should be more than the low altitude range.

But I'm more at the point of "why isn't the claimed range of the JAGM the same as the Hellfire? It makes it very obvious that you're underselling the range!"

Agreed, pure glide range from high altitude should be more than the low altitude range.

But I'm more at the point of "why isn't the claimed range of the JAGM the same as the Hellfire? It makes it very obvious that you're underselling the range!"
Also the fact that it's LOAL (Lock-On After Launch) makes it obvious that they're underselling the range too. ;)