USMC Doctrine Changes

Does anyone know when AAV-7s started to receive an RWS?

Screen cap from Operation Bright Star 2023

Brighstar 2023.png

Does anyone know when AAV-7s started to receive an RWS?

Screen cap from Operation Bright Star 2023

View attachment 709375

At least 2021

Who is programming these systems? Issue with using these complex algorithms is if you input biased or incorrect data you will not get an accurate system to interface with. I'm worried about the fixation on bleeding edge tech. It is awesome and vital but I hope this new stuff isnt seen as some kind of replacement.

I don't see any advantage of this platform over an Osprey.

If they are accurate even within an order of magnitude on their cost estimates, it would be several times less expensive than an Osprey.
Edit: On the other hand, they would also be vastly less versatile.

Last edited:
If they are accurate even within an order of magnitude on their cost estimates, it would be several times less expensive than an Osprey.
Any look inside an osprey amazes on how small the cargo space is. The Army's early withdrawal from the program had numerous reasons.

The range of the craft is pathetic, and it is presumably still seastate dependent. I don't see the advantage of the craft. In particular, if you were going to go the WiG route, why go electric? There is no advantage from a military standpoint.

The range of the craft is pathetic, and it is presumably still seastate dependent. I don't see the advantage of the craft. In particular, if you were going to go the WiG route, why go electric? There is no advantage from a military standpoint.
Significantly reduced IR signature.

You'd think that snipers would be an even more useful part in this new USMC doctrine.
Remember that Scout-Snipers are a very high-level asset, regimental or divisional.

Instead of having maybe 6 pairs of scout-snipers, you can have 18 Recon Marines sneaking around and seeing what the Bad Guys(tm) are up to.

This allows you to push sniper trained marines down a lot lower in the chain. As it was, the Marines had split Scout-Sniper training into two parts. First was the marksmanship school. Then the marksman would go to a field unit for a couple of years before going to the fieldcraft school.

The US Marines have reportedly made inquiries about ST Engineering’s AirFish wing-in-ground effect craft, designed to take off and land on water.

“The US Marines have discussed our 10-seater,” Leon Tan, general manager at ST Engineering told Breaking Defense. The Singapore military “has viewed it” during the show, as well.