jsport
what do you know about surfing Major? you're from-
- Joined
- 27 July 2011
- Messages
- 8,665
- Reaction score
- 6,946
I imagine their best use is just for training pilots the fundamentals of dogfighting even if that prospect seems very unlikely with how good air-to-air missiles have become. The thrust to weight ratio of the F-5 isn't very impressive but under the right conditions it is still very agile and it is also quite difficult to spot visually. Veteran Aggressor pilots flying those things have a pretty long history of humiliating new pilots in far more capable aircraft. One anecdote I recall reading is how many new F-16 pilots would try to utilize the F-16's ability to sustain a 9G turn under some conditions. But most often while an F-16 pilot was preoccupied in a turning fight with one F-5, the F-5's wingman would cut in and score a simulated kill.I guess it is a good idea for training on the cheap relatively speaking but using the f-5 for opposing forces seems like something we would have done 20 years ago. There certainly are enemies using similar aircraft like Iran but it seems to me we should be focusing much more on training against near-peer enemies.
It's a JLTV chassis, that's not 'huge', it's HMMWV/MRAP size, with equivalent armour (less given it's the coupe version
Yeah, like the entire Tibetan Plateau in western China...
I suspect that has a lot to do with the camaraderie. They're a "bumpy Marine", "one of us" not something different.
Combined response.
It's on the JLTV chassis because that's the smallest common chassis available to use that can carry the bulk. 1000kg is about half the load capacity of a cargo JLTV, IIRC, but the missiles are big.It's a JLTV chassis, that's not 'huge', it's HMMWV/MRAP size, with equivalent armour (less given it's the coupe version.
I seriously doubt you can carry two NSMs on anything smaller*. I've not yet heard the justification for it being unmanned (not 'autonomous', there's a huge difference), though it's easy enough to conceive of situations where you might want to drive it forward out of a camouflaged position to shoot without needing to expose the operators.
* That's two >4x.7x.7m canisters and a load of 2x400Kg plus whatever a couple of empty canisters weigh.
I seriously doubt you can carry two NSMs on anything smaller*. I've not yet heard the justification for it being unmanned (not 'autonomous', there's a huge difference), though it's easy enough to conceive of situations where you might want to drive it forward out of a camouflaged position to shoot without needing to expose the operators.
That 155L23 on the JLTV chassis is kinda odd, but that's probably the biggest cannon they can get to fit and not screw up the CG for sling loading.Probbaly had this earlier in the thread:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPSZ71-YqC8&ab_channel=MarineCorpsSystemsCommand
I think JLTV is too small to carry NSM with a crew cab (which would push the launchers back and screw up CG). And anything larger than a JLTV carrying NSM would be too big to sling-load under a CH-53.
As I understand it F-5 are being used to simulate JH-7 rather then high performance fighters.I guess it is a good idea for training on the cheap relatively speaking but using the f-5 for opposing forces seems like something we would have done 20 years ago. There certainly are enemies using similar aircraft like Iran but it seems to me we should be focusing much more on training against near-peer enemies.
There's times that gets weird for budget purposes, for example.https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...ted in,adversaries like the Chinese military.
who is running this asylum anyway?