USAF to cancel Global Hawk UAV

I

Ian33

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/awx/2012/01/24/awx_01_24_2012_p0-417750.xml&headline=U.S.%20Air%20Force%20to%20Kill%20Global%20Hawk%20UAV

I was looking for that missile FlatEric posted up and read this. I was suprised when I saw that the U-2 will be upgraded into the 2020 timeline. Thats B-52'esque life time!

To me this is surprising, what's going on here? Does this cancellation really make much of a dent in the required $487 billion savings?

The quote from Air Force Chief of Staff saying that the service would likely “end up doing what gives us the best capability for the least cost.” would support budget cutting being the main driver behind this. Still keeping U-2's in the air till 2020 will not come for free.

Fuel for the BS fire...

Did the loss of the RQ-170 expose a fundamental vunerability common to global hawk (GPS jamming or whatever, I don't believe so).

And what of the whispers of a large VLO UAV under development? Will this survive, (if it is real)

Hmmm... I wonder how this will impact on the Luftwaffe version? Also the NATO desire to purchase such a system at an alliance level?

The news seems to be a bit of misdirection. They're forgoing the last 10 of the Block 30 RQ-4A's for 2013 and on budgets. 2013 budget has Block 40's on the books.

Never let the facts get in the way of a sensationalist headline/story... ;)