US UAV and UCAV Technology

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — To prepare for unmanned aircraft system threats they may see on the battlefield, Soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division participated in the Army’s first Counter-Small UAS home-station training session at Fort Carson, Colorado, from April 19-May 7 in advance of an upcoming deployment to the U.S. Central Command region.

Soldiers simulated using the Mobile-Low, Slow, Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Integrated Defeat System, or M-LIDS, which is a system of sensors and shooters mounted on a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle.

The Army will also deploy five-person, C-sUAS mobile training teams that will remain stationed in the CENTCOM area of responsibility to train other deployed units.

aonestudio

Reaction score
Early next year, the U.S. military’s Space Development Agency will test whether low-earth orbit satellites can communicate with an MQ-9 Reaper drone via optical links, or lasers.

“In just a few short days, we'll be launching several satellites. Two of those are [MQ-9 maker] General Atomics satellites to be able to do the laser conductivity in space,” Derek Tournear, the head of the Space Development Agency

shin_getter

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
10 days on <700kg airframe?

Hiding without contesting the air is deader than dead at this point. Traditional concepts of dispersion are no longer valid.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
Cheap GPS munitions are going to make warfare very one sided for the side that wins the ISR battle, which is almost certainly going to involve air superiority. The ERCA howitzer (really a gun) is going to spit GPS guided shells in the $10-20,000 price range out to forty miles at a rate of eight rounds per minute once the auto loader is added. At that point a entire battalion of armored vehicles can get killed by a single battery in a one minute fire mission if you have sufficiently accurate target information.

aonestudio

Reaction score

jsport

what do you know about surfing Major? you're from-
Reaction score

Flyaway

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Lockheed Martin has confirmed a secret customer has ordered the Speed Racer flight vehicle that the Skunk Works unveiled a year ago as a technology demonstrator. A poster on a wall of a Skunk Works facility shed new light on the secretive vehicle’s intended role by spelling out each letter in the...

aonestudio

Reaction score

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Red Medium is the program name for the stealthy air adversary UCAV being developed for the USAF aggressor force:

Red-Air-Blue-Force-page-018-scaled-e1628894078168-900x600.jpg

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
from BFT site

Attachments

• homescreen-bg.png
    homescreen-bg.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 49
  • plane-white-3.png
    plane-white-3.png
    90 KB · Views: 47
  • conc4.png
    conc4.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 48
  • conc2.png
    conc2.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 48
  • conc3.png
    conc3.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 48
  • conc5.png
    conc5.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 43
  • conc6.png
    conc6.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 39

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
825kratos.jpg

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc. [...] announced today that its Air Wolf Tactical Drone System completed a 100 percent successful flight at the recently approved Burns Flat, Oklahoma Range Facility. The Kratos Air Wolf Mission, which was the inaugural flight at the Burns Flat Range location, included multiple new payloads carried by the Air Wolf Drone, including a proprietary Kratos artificial intelligence/autonomy system, which has been developed by Kratos specifically for high performance, jet drone aircraft.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
From earlier this month, not sure why I didn't post it at the time:
Actually something the Army did right. They put the four vehicles in the hands of the soldiers who would operate them. The Army (and the vendors) got one of the best test possible. In these days of massed "foot shooting", this is actually some good news.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
AOOPMUVPZ5FDNKNHKYT6U2PRBU.png
Kaman's KARGO UAV is a quadcopter designed to carry hundreds of pounds of supplies to Marines in expeditionary bases away from logistics hubs, either in a conformal pod or in a sling load under the unmanned air vehicle. (Kaman imagery)
WASHINGTON — Kaman is unveiling this week a medium-lift unmanned quadcopter meant to solve the biggest challenge to the Marine Corps’ expeditionary advanced base operations concept: resupplying small units of Marines scattered around island chains.
Kaman’s KARGO unmanned aerial vehicle has been designed from scratch over the past nine months to meet the Marines’ needs for an Unmanned Logistics Systems-Air (ULS-A) medium-lift vehicle for the distributed laydown the Marines expect will be the hallmark of their operations in the future in places like the Pacific, the Baltic Sea or other contested areas.

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Some more background:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Unlike larger long endurance UAS, Vanilla is a tactical-scale Group III system that uses an internal-combustion engine for propulsion. Its smaller size enables runway independent launch from forward locations with minimal manning. Unlike solar-powered high-altitude systems, Vanilla is immediately responsive to operator tasking and flies at tactical altitudes, thereby accommodating smaller and lower cost sensors for the same C5ISR value. Vanilla runs on standard Jet-A fuel, easing logistics concerns during forward operations.

Vanilla’s airframe can carry up to 150 lbs of sensor payloads across five internal bays and external mounts, each receiving onboard power and datalink for sensor C2. A VTOL variant is in production with government sponsorship and will take flight in early 2022.

aonestudio

Reaction score