Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
i found this here
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/usnshtp/cv/cv9-misc.htm

it seems that the NAVY had Idea to use Essex or Ticonderoga class aircraft carrier
and to converted them for launching space satellites into orbits
not readily accessible from launch sites in the United States.

hase some one more on that project ?

Attachments

• kn02961.jpg
    kn02961.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 635
http://www.flickr.com/photos/telstar/226816891/

take a look at the above link .. just for good measure .. maybe related

and this patent link
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5918306.html

Not the first time I see something similiar (compare it with Phil Bono concepts of mid '60s).
Interesting to note that this platform allows to launch a massive Atlas derived rocket...

archipeppe said:
Not the first time I see something similiar (compare it with Phil Bono concepts of mid '60s).
Interesting to note that this platform allows to launch a massive Atlas derived rocket...

looks more like a Atlas LV-3A Booster
wight only 123 Tons (272825 pounds)

you mean Phillip Bono famous "Ithacus Jr.", the 260 soldier intercontinental troop transporter ?
from Astronautix
The smaller "Ithacus Jr." version would have had an intercontinental cargo capability of 33.5t or 260 soldiers. Douglas proposed to launch two Ithacus Jr. vehicles from an Enterprise-class nuclear aircraft carrier, which also would have produced liquid oxygen and hydrogen propellant from seawater. Power for the electrolysis process would have been taken from the carrier’s nuclear reactor: 112MW would have been required to produce 1150t of oxygen and 164t of hydrogen from 1470t of water. The rocketships would be stored inside hangars. One Ithacus Jr. would serve as a troop carrier while the other would deploy unmanned cargo to the same military site. The Ithacus Jr. vehicles would land 600 meters apart to deploy a fully armed group of 260 soldiers.

Attachments

• ithacus1.jpg
    ithacus1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 229
...I wonder how practical it would be to use an unmodified SSBN to launch satellites? Or would a Triton-derived launcher not have sufficient trust?

Just call me Ray said:
...I wonder how practical it would be to use an unmodified SSBN to launch satellites? Or would a Triton-derived launcher not have sufficient trust?

If you mean *Trident,* there have been studies to use Trident missiles launched from boomers to orbit small satellites. It would not be a commercial venture... missile is too expensive, boomer is too expensive, and the US Navy won't let you play with them anyway. Their use would be in launching recon and communications birds in the event of war.

Orionblamblam said:
Just call me Ray said:

If you mean *Trident,*

D'oh! The name somewhat slipped my mind there!