I have cited no less than 5 sources across America and France, you're "citing" "news organizations" and "the whole internet".
I did not see a single link, never mind five.
And I did not make a ridiculous assertion that the USN reduced the speed requirement of the Constellation class because it wasn't needed, and 'excessive' for the mission, instead of due to weight and capability creep.
These are the problems the Constellation program experienced, and the reasons for cancellation
View: https://youtu.be/iRJ2DdLTeEQ
https://warontherocks.com/cogs-of-w...ons-of-the-navys-latest-shipbuilding-debacle/
https://www.naval-technology.com/ne...om-the-collapse-of-the-constellation-frigate/
View: https://youtu.be/r7aWmtOhMjo
I can send you an even longer list if you should need it
Only China seriously challenges this.
Of course.
The last time thge US was able to build more warships was over 20 years ago.
https://www.csis.org/analysis/unpacking-chinas-naval-buildup
Incidentally, Fincantieri, Italy, is slated to build three FREMM EVO, one 14500 ton destroyer, and two of the most heavily armed 'patrol ships' on the planet, in the next three years.
Asian yards are far from perfect too
I never claimed that they were.
However. after Zumwalt, LCS, and the Constellation cancellation, the USN decided to build an unarmed Coast Guard cutter, with 'containerized' weapon/system fits for various missions ( that worked out well in the past ! ), and subsequent flights to be heavily modified ( that worked out well in the past ! ), only to change their minds ( yet again ) and tender East Asian shipbuilders, like Japan and South Korea which you dismiss, as well as Turkish ( ?!? )shipbuilders, to supply a couple of frigates until they can set up shop for production, in the US.
Doe that sound at all, like the USN knows what they want, or need ???
Slip of the keyboard, thanks for the correction.
Probably due to the South China Sea 'contention'.
Looks at the recent record of German surface ships
I believe I alluded to the recent difficulties in German shipbuilding. See here
( well, maybe Germany and the UK )
I have never stated that Fincantieri-Marinette vMarine is free of blame. They have certainly had issues with hiring and retaining skilled manpower to keep wrk flowing without slowdowns, but the USN has 'structural' issues they need to resolve with shipbuilding.
And just a single one, among many, is the unavailability of local shipyards able to do the work.
This is usually what happens when an institution, like the USN gets too big, out of control, and with the budget of several small countries combined.
I know it's O/T, but I'm reminded of the previous squabble between the Air Force and Army Aviation over the JCA, which led to the cancellation of the Leonardo C-27J ( another Italian manufacturer ).
As full disclosure, I am Italian-Canadian, having been born in Italy.