• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

US Bombers

Ian5

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi may anyone have more information on the boeing model 363

It was a six-engine twin-boom high altitude heavy bomber Project with pusher engines,intended
to compete Consolidated B-36,and maybe that was its drawing.
Hi hesham thank you for responding is there any other drawings or specifications or a illustration where the gunner positions were

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Welcome Ian,

and unfortunately there was nothing known,except it had a wing span 270 feet.

Ian5

Reaction score
Welcome Ian,

and unfortunately there was nothing known,except it had a wing span 270 feet.
Dear hesham thank you very much for responding and giving me the only information they had on this aircraft

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
Actually, there is a LOT of information about the Model 363 if you're willing to do the legwork and live close enough to the appropriate archive/know who to talk to.

I'm going to give a shot at posting a two-page synopsis of the project below. I have much more, but I'm saving it for a future book project.

I hope this is helpful and enjoyable. I have data on literally dozens of Boeing large bomber projects just before and during WWII. Please do not expect me to post much of it as I AM planning to put it and much more in a future title.

Respectfully submitted,

AlanG

Attachments

• Model 363 data - 1.jpg
    Model 363 data - 1.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Model 363 data - 2.jpg
    Model 363 data - 2.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 133

Ian5

Reaction score
Actually, there is a LOT of information about the Model 363 if you're willing to do the legwork and live close enough to the appropriate archive/know who to talk to.

I'm going to give a shot at posting a two-page synopsis of the project below. I have much more, but I'm saving it for a future book project.

I hope this is helpful and enjoyable. I have data on literally dozens of Boeing large bomber projects just before and during WWII. Please do not expect me to post much of it as I AM planning to put it and much more in a future title.

Respectfully submitted,

AlanG
Wow this is really generous of you to share this information by any chance can you tell me how much the book cost because i am very interested of purchasing if it is for sale. By any chance are there any other illustrations you don't have to share it if you don't want to i was just curious cannot thank you enough

Ian5

Reaction score
By any chance Does anybody have the exact name of this plane

Attachments

• 1603151265979.png
    1603151265979.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 144

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
I can't give you its name, unfortunately. Your image appears in Convair Advanced Designs - Secret Projects from San Diego 1923-1962 by Robert E Bradley, Specialty Press 2010.
It shows a 1942 alternative all-wing design, from Consolidated itself, to the B-36. A conventional layout was chosen for the B-36, as Consolidated was worried about the all-wing's longitudinal control.

Ian5

Reaction score

Respectfully submitted,

AlanG
By the way thank you very much again for the documents my project With the 50 other people is going very smoothly now

Ian5

Reaction score
I can't give you its name, unfortunately. Your image appears in Convair Advanced Designs - Secret Projects from San Diego 1923-1962 by Robert E Bradley, Specialty Press 2010.
It shows a 1942 alternative all-wing design, from Consolidated itself, to the B-36. A conventional layout was chosen for the B-36, as Consolidated was worried about the all-wing's longitudinal control.
Thank you for responding thank you for telling me what book this image is from i will look into that book more thank you very much

ACResearcher

Reaction score
Ian, that information is from my files on the Model 363. The book is "in preparation", which is a nice way of saying it will be out sometime within my remaining lifetime.

AlanG

Arjen

Reaction score
I would not rule out the possibility that AlanG(riffith) is Bradley's source for the image - although Bradley's book is where I saw it first. Hesham's image definitely is from Bradley's book.

Last edited:

Sherman Tank

I don't want to change my personal text
Reaction score
Obviously modified with a view towards pressurizing the fuselage.

ACResearcher

Reaction score
Sherman, while I haven't bothered yet to look up the aircraft specs on the 299-G, I'm not convinced the modification had anything to do with pressurization. The primary reasons for this are the gun positions, all of which would be open to one degree or another to the outside atmosphere. It is possible that the pilot's compartment might be pressurized, but that would seem to conflict with the structure of the rest of the aircraft.

When I get around to looking up the specs I'll post them here.

AlanG

taildragger

You can count on me - I won a contest
Reaction score
Sherman, while I haven't bothered yet to look up the aircraft specs on the 299-G, I'm not convinced the modification had anything to do with pressurization. The primary reasons for this are the gun positions, all of which would be open to one degree or another to the outside atmosphere. It is possible that the pilot's compartment might be pressurized, but that would seem to conflict with the structure of the rest of the aircraft.

AlanG
I can't think of any reason other than pressurization for adopting a round fuselage cross-section. Perhaps pressurization was thought to enable missions to be flown at altitudes beyond the reach of interceptors and the blisters are just for observers.

Arjen

Reaction score
The Heinkel He 111 had a round fuselage cross-section. Pressurization was never considered for that aircraft. DH Mosquito, same story. DC-3...

Last edited:

iverson

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
The fuselage looks a lot like that of the Boeing 307, the pressurized airliner derivative of the B-17.

Attachments

• boeing307-3d.gif
    boeing307-3d.gif
    28.5 KB · Views: 103

aim9xray

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I also noticed that the 299-G has a mid-fuselage wing and tricycle landing gear.

Sherman Tank

I don't want to change my personal text
Reaction score

AlanG
You may very well be right. I might be conflating the 299-G with a later proposal for a pressurized B-17 variant because they look broadly similar.

Antonio

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
March 2021 documents released at Retromechanix:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GIvU-SKILs

USAAC Materiel Division Design No. 361 Bomber Study - Wind tunnel report dating from September 11, 1941 summarizing tests of a 1/40 scale model of the Materiel Division Design No. 361, an internal USAAC study for a large twin boom four-engine heavy bomber. A relatively well known artist's impression of this concept has been circulating for several years and can be found on the Secret Projects Forum, where it is incorrectly labeled as the Martin 145B. This PDF is 10 pages long with 5 photos of the wind tunnel model; unfortunately, the general arrangement drawings of the design referenced in the report were missing from the files at NARA.

Selected Douglas Bomber Studies of WW II - Three-view drawings of the Douglas Models 332F, 371, 413 and 423 medium and heavy bomber projects of World War II.

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From Flying magazine 1945-5,

a preliminary drawing to early Consolidated B-24 Bomber.

Attachments

• 1-1945-5.png
    1-1945-5.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 81