US AWACS recapitalization for the 21st century

Funding for the first prototype is included in the FY-23. The 23 NDAA is likely months away and could go into early 2023. Much like the F-15EX prototypes, I'm sure Boeing and NG could (and possibly would) front the suppliers to begin work on this and deliver months ahead of original delivery dates. They are also going through the UK order so that could explain the AF giving them more time.
Didn't the UK back out of two of their E-7s anyway?

so will the USAF E-7s be significantly different than the Australian/Turkish/Korean ones?

But of course! This is the USAF you are talking about... :rolleyes:
The USAF probably needs some proprietary datalinks that other countries don't use, yes. It would be a little silly to have your brand new AWACS unable to talk to F-22's and 35s without a HATE TALON pod gateway.

More news about the topic:

Though on a bit of a tangent, I'd assume that the NATO operated E-3s are likely to be replaced in the future by the E-7, since much of NATO, now including the US, will operate the type.

Assuming the NATO E-3s get replaced at all. It seems likely funding will be tight and that the need might...dissipate.

I suspect they get replaced by E-7 eventually but probably not one for one.

With rising anger, I vaguely recall discussions on the E-7 contract back in the 90s.

The original contract was for 7 or 8 but the government cut this to four, originally Australia owned the IP and it was an Australian project, but being risk adverse, the incoming government not only cut the number ordered but it signed away the IP.

Ah the late 90s defence reviews, the gift that keeps giving.

The original contract was for 7 or 8 but the government cut this to four,
6 are in RAAF service
Yes but that was after the cut.

They cut it to four, made the ADF a customer rather than the developer, then ordered another two, when they realised four weren't enough, for more money than seven would have cost.

Finally. although it's kinda evident. as E-7 are in production.

Nonetheless it's a good news. The L-band and newer processing technology will be an improvement over E-3's. higher target tracking rate, scan sector optimizations. stuff like that. I'm curious if current electronics allow additional X-band aperture mounted ventrally or shared with the main aperture.

the URL summary says it beat out 2 other contenders. however I cant read the actual link since its pay walled
who were the other 2?

the URL summary says it beat out 2 other contenders. however I cant read the actual link since its pay walled
who were the other 2?
The other two competitors were redacted, although the E-2D was also not under consideration.

Nonetheless it's a good news. The L-band and newer processing technology will be an improvement over E-3's. higher target tracking rate, scan sector optimizations. stuff like that. I'm curious if current electronics allow additional X-band aperture mounted ventrally or shared with the main aperture.

I thought that the USAF would buy the E-7. It is good news for the Boeing Wedgetail production line.

who were the other 2?
The other two competitors were redacted, although the E-2D was also not under consideration.
I'm guessing there were G5/6 business jet mods; there are at least a couple types in service for the role. For the USAF I think it would lack adequate work stations for directors.

Not sure if the quote below is relevant, but it may be a clue. If the two other alternatives considered really were Hawkeye and Erieye, then the conclusion seems inescapable.

Air Force officials have previously said the Northrop Grumman E-2C Hawkeye and the Saab Erieye, both turboprop-powered AWACS-type aircraft, lack the speed, altitude, and capability USAF needs for the mission.

I'd bet the other two options where an E-767/KC-46 variant and a version of the Embraer 145 AEW&C (like Mexico has). Although since both would be Boeing entries as well, maybe not.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility someone bid a "Wedgetail but we build it with our radar and Boeing's not super involved" type of proposal.

View: https://youtu.be/bdl2lLg-X-Y

b08be5a4b7a4c40957b68a367fea27d7.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly the choices listed in the AFM article make it look like the choice was never in doubt. Not really a surprise, space based still has the R&D love, and after Pegasus there's no way the AF wants spend those dollars integrating something only "marginally better" than "off the shelf". Maybe Moose is onto something that the NG work on AESA AEW modules will be some type of "form, fit, function" drop in upgrade for MESA...

Yes, I remember seeing choice number 1 at Boeing Field in the 90's for flight test, when I was in uniform a few years later we were all in on E-10, why reuse old tech when you can keep a lot of people in Boston (Hanscom) employed... Choice number 2 has radars from a country not all of our allies like, so....

Does anyone have information detailing the E-7A MESA radar architecture/performance? @GARGEAN pointed out in another forum that the "tophat" array in the front and back will be working with less area (therefore smaller aperture) and will have a substantially lower range and resolution than the side arrays. I find it hard to believe frankly, I don't think the USAF would walk itself into an AWACS aircraft that doesn't have full 360° coverage. What do the others think?

I think that is the nature of all balance beam type radars. I think it is a relatively minor limitation. In the case of the Wedgetail, remember it’s an off the shelf but not a program where the USAF set all the requirements. The goal is fastest possible replacement of E-3.

This kind of fits here in that there isn't a thread for the doomsday planes.... Its back to the future with turboprops....

I would have preferred the E-7 Mercury to be replaced by either a jet based on the 777 or the more modern 787 instead of going back to a turboprop aircraft in the shape of the EC-130J TACAMO, the 777/787 aircraft would be better suited to the mission than the C-130J.
Not really. One of the issues with the E-6 was getting verticality on the VLF antenna. The C-130 flew slower, could do a much better job of it. During flight testing of the E-6, they managed to get the vertical stabilizer into flutter...that tore half of it off.

The real question is whether the Navy will retain the current organization of one centrally located squadron, or go back to the EC-130Q solution of having an East Coast and a West Coast squadron.

More on the same theme with Boeing suggestion that production rate could be increased to reduce delivery time:

the capacity to deal with 737 [Next Generations] is strong … So to incorporate the modification program, there is capacity there to accelerate,” Flood told reporters. “We will talk to the U.S. Air Force about how fast they want to move and how to … find ways to increase the schedule.”
Flood added that Boeing’s Renton, Wash., facility that manufactures 737s for military use would be able to increase production, based on customer demand. In addition to the E-7, Boeing’s P-8 Poseidon aircraft is based on the 737.

can you guess by looking at the terracota array what frequency it works in ?

Don't know if it helps, the SPY-6 has 24 S-band Transmit/Receiver modules in each of its four feet squared face RMAs (37 RMAs per individual array on SPY-6(V)1 for Burke Flt III), Terracota is a much smaller radar, so speculate X-band frequency? The TPY-2 radar for THAAD with its 100 sq ft array has 25,344 X-band T/R modules, so if maths correct you could fit ~1,000 X-band T/R modules in a four feet squared face RMA, the very high number T/R modules makes the TPY-2 very expensive radar at ~$250 million each, but the big advantage that comes with X-band with its much higher frequency is higher discrimination for targeting.

Attachments

• Terracotta_Northrop_Grumman_Digital+Wideband_AESA.jpg
    Terracotta_Northrop_Grumman_Digital+Wideband_AESA.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 27
It is probably related to the Vanguard in which case it would operate in both X and Ku bands which would help for the type of JADC2 and multi-function applications it is claimed to have been developed for.

Last edited:
I would have thought that they are S band elements judging from the radiating element's size

^ You could be right. I had the wrong picture in my mind (see attached) when I posted that.

Don't know if it helps, the SPY-6 has 24 S-band Transmit/Receiver modules in each of its four feet squared face RMAs

It has 24 TRIMM's per RMA, each with 6 T/R modules for a total of 144 T/R modules per RMA; 5,328 modules per SPY-6V1 face.

Attachments

• 4c77aee93c2a033657b0b5625c572b3b.jpeg
    4c77aee93c2a033657b0b5625c572b3b.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
^ You could be right. I had the wrong picture in my mind (see attached) when I posted that.

Don't know if it helps, the SPY-6 has 24 S-band Transmit/Receiver modules in each of its four feet squared face RMAs

It has 24 TRIMM's per RMA, each with 6 T/R modules for a total of 144 T/R modules per RMA; 5,328 modules per SPY-6V1 face.
So S band then ? right