US AWACS recapitalization for the 21st century

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Funding for the first prototype is included in the FY-23. The 23 NDAA is likely months away and could go into early 2023. Much like the F-15EX prototypes, I'm sure Boeing and NG could (and possibly would) front the suppliers to begin work on this and deliver months ahead of original delivery dates. They are also going through the UK order so that could explain the AF giving them more time.
Didn't the UK back out of two of their E-7s anyway?

Josh_TN

Reaction score
so will the USAF E-7s be significantly different than the Australian/Turkish/Korean ones?

But of course! This is the USAF you are talking about... :rolleyes:
The USAF probably needs some proprietary datalinks that other countries don't use, yes. It would be a little silly to have your brand new AWACS unable to talk to F-22's and 35s without a HATE TALON pod gateway.

Wyvern

Reaction score
More news about the topic:

Though on a bit of a tangent, I'd assume that the NATO operated E-3s are likely to be replaced in the future by the E-7, since much of NATO, now including the US, will operate the type.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
Assuming the NATO E-3s get replaced at all. It seems likely funding will be tight and that the need might...dissipate.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
That would be crazy. Especially in front of the cost savings inherently coming with a modern, well integrated platform like the E-7.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
I suspect they get replaced by E-7 eventually but probably not one for one.

Volkodav

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
With rising anger, I vaguely recall discussions on the E-7 contract back in the 90s.

The original contract was for 7 or 8 but the government cut this to four, originally Australia owned the IP and it was an Australian project, but being risk adverse, the incoming government not only cut the number ordered but it signed away the IP.

Ah the late 90s defence reviews, the gift that keeps giving.

Volkodav

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The original contract was for 7 or 8 but the government cut this to four,
6 are in RAAF service
Yes but that was after the cut.

They cut it to four, made the ADF a customer rather than the developer, then ordered another two, when they realised four weren't enough, for more money than seven would have cost.