Unknown Soviet aircraft

Retrofit

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,
Some fifteen years ago, I found in the Japanese aircraft magazine "Aereview" (October 1990, page 105) three small photos of a tailless jet "aircraft" with a rhomboidal wing. The Japanese caption mentions that the "aircraft" was tested by MiG in June 1954. On the last photo, the right elevon is seen starting to separate from the wing.
Since, all my researches to find more information on this "aircraft" remain vain. I even don't known if it's a full scale aircraft, a scale-model or a fake photo-montage. I have contacted "Aereview" but with no answer.
More information on the subject will be most welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

• urss.jpg
    urss.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 856
Last edited by a moderator:
This is an absolutely fake, a-la Tu-200 You can create any fake stuff and make your readers think as of another leak from The Evil Empire thinking that you never can be tested for truth.

At last, I can close this file...

Flateric, Pometablava, thanks a lot!

Although that shape would really be nice looking for a new stealthy 6th Gen MiG...

-----JT-----

This is an absolutely fake, a-la Tu-200 You can create any fake stuff and make your readers think as of another leak from The Evil Empire thinking that you never can be tested for truth.
Well, if this photo is a fake montage, is there any idea who created this fake image?

Well, if this photo is a fake montage, is there any idea who created this fake image?
Let me guess. Aereview photo editor?

A couple more mystery Soviet aircraft. Not the Tcheranovski ones (nowadays spelled Chyeranovskii), but the other two; the TsAGI-1 glider and the XAI-1 'Iskra', both from 1934. The accompanying text also mentions "the XAI-4 Iskra pusher enclosed-cabin transport aircraft of 1934 was little more than a copy of the 1930 Lippisch delta I, the XAI-3 Aviavinto of 1936, etc." That's all. Does anybody know anything more about them and/or their siblings? I didn't know the TsAGI ever designed and built its own aeroplanes, and I never heard of XAI.

Attachments

• DSC01203.JPG
    DSC01203.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 126
XAI = Kharkov (Kharkiv) Aviation Institute (KhAI)

XAI = Kharkov (Kharkiv) Aviation Institute (KhAI)
Thank you! Got it now. The -3 and -4 are described in Gordon & Gunston's "Soviet X-Planes". The -1 is new to me.

What is incorrectly reffered as 'XAI-1' is a KhAI design team tailless glider named under then Ukrainian Communist party leader, Pavel Petrovich Postyshev. Iskra (Spark) name was one several of attributed to KhAI-4. Apparently 'Postyshev' was a development of single-seat 'Osoaviakhimovetz Ukrainy' design. Later name was then also used by KhAI-4

Last edited:
Here is another mystery glider from the KhAI:

Attachments

• 60844e8170c9d68acddc9e1c07bda2fe.jpg
    60844e8170c9d68acddc9e1c07bda2fe.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 59
  • acf1b3863b5fce9633b687e20fb07f88.jpg
    acf1b3863b5fce9633b687e20fb07f88.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 74