Lohr Deltaflugzeug

Cy-27

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Do any forum members have any details about the Lohr Deltaflugzeug dating from around 1990?

The aircraft was built by Adolf Lohr in Pfarrwerfen apparently based on the designs of Lippisch.

The only details I know of are that the wing area was 16.8 sq m and it was powered by a single engine, although it may not have ever flown.

There is an example in the Fahrzeug und Technikmuseum at Lauffen near Bad Ischl in Austria.

In the photos below the aircraft is shown in 2004 (without wings) and in 2010.

Attachments

• Lohr_Deltaflugzeug_Lauffen_Oct_2004_Image.jpg
    Lohr_Deltaflugzeug_Lauffen_Oct_2004_Image.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 662
  • Lohr_Deltaflugzeug_Lauffen_Aug_2010_Image.jpg
    Lohr_Deltaflugzeug_Lauffen_Aug_2010_Image.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 557
Another visit this summer to the museum at Lauffen allowed me to make some notes on this design and answer my own initial question about the background of this design.

Deltaflügler Experimental

Engine: 1 x 70 hp Limbach
Total Wing Area: 16.8 sq m
Weight: 350 kg
Payload: 200 kg
Wing loading: 32 kg/m2

Structure: Aircraft breaks down into a middle section and two side sections.

Wing Geometry: The rigid position of the combined high and ailerons determined the overall profile

Construction: Plastics, landing struts with aluminum profile. Tricycle landing gear. Hoffmann two blade propeller.

Notes: The basis for this project was most likely inspired from the work of Alexander Lipisch. After the war there had already been already been a number of initial aerodynamic tests in Ainring (Freillassing) on the wing shape. After the war, the project was put temporarily on hold.

Then, in 1970, a model test was conducted. The tests showed that there were good slow speed handling properties and controllable even near an extreme stall.

This was built in the mid-70s as a real experimental aircraft. The target properties of the machine were a small size, big wing area with a low span, which would take up minimal place in a small hanger. Due to the small size, there was to be a high mechanical strength, as well as great agility in flight. It would have had excellent slow flight characteristics without putting the pilot in danger.
However, since there was no construction supervision by the aviation authorities, there was no approval for this aircraft to fly.

Source:

All details from the Fahrzeug und Technik Luftfahrt Museum Lauffen information boards.

Great find my dear Cy-27,

I never heard about it before.

Please, what is the aircraft to the left, with the nose intake in the second picture?

Here are two photos of the Lohr that I found here: http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/mikojangurewitsch/Recent

The right side picture reveals five fittings on the leading edge of the wing. They look like light bulb fittings, but could they be turbulators? I've cropped the side picture to show them.

Attachments

• Lohr Deltaflugzeug Cockpit e.jpg
    Lohr Deltaflugzeug Cockpit e.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Lohr Deltaflugzeug Right Side e.jpg
    Lohr Deltaflugzeug Right Side e.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Leading Edge Bumps e.jpg
    Leading Edge Bumps e.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 37

Attachments

• Lohr Deltaflugzeug Left Nose .jpg