Unipower M-series cancelled projects

Odysseus1980

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hello!

We all know the Alvis Unipower variant of BR-90 Brigde System, but M-series had a whole family of vehicles as mentioned in this link:

Does anyone has blueprints with dimensions, brochures etc?

There was also a 12x8 variant which proposed in India for TEL/Missile transporter.

Note that in these tank transporters the louvres behind the cabin are different, perhaps different engine? Front bumber differs also (4 headlights instead of 2).

bf88922efde39e673fcf5d6651b88d4d.jpg

Last edited:
The models were available from Smith the manufacturer and can still be found on Ebay either as white metal kits or made up

Yes, indeed great shame. MH8875 could do the job of transporting the mighty Challenger easily. Unipower PLS had also greater payload from MAN SX (24 tons).

This link has the only known to me specifications of the series.

The Unipower M tank transporter prototype went to the ALE heavy haulage company. A few years ago, they bought several Unipower M series from the French army and rebuilt them, retaining the cab and general layout, but replacing the drive train. The vehicle has been optimized for heavier loads.

This is the ALE 8870 Trojan:

trojan_21852.jpg

post-16320-0-73661000-1414737343_thumb.jpg

700 bhp Volvo engine, 72 t vehicle weight, designed to haul loads of 300 t, can be run in series controlled by the first vehicle in line.

Last edited:
Acutally I have found some info about the ALE 8870 Trojan. Thanks anyway

A pdf with some info about ALE 8870 Trojan, are there are any differences with basic M-series (that used for BR-90 Bridge)?

yes: new engine and gearbox. Much higher standard weight (although that will be mostly the ballast box plus ballast). I don't know if they reused the axles.

As an aside an earlier Alvis vehicle, the Stalwart, was trialed by France as the Berliet Aurochs.

Attachments

• s-l300(0).jpg
    s-l300(0).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 42
  • tbucod10-23407e0.jpg
    tbucod10-23407e0.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 62
I’ve found an image which shows what’s described as a 12X12 truck undergoing trials in India, the DRDO logo is present on the door, From the looks it appears the features correlate with those of the above MH 12x8. I did find a forum online from 2009 where an old employee of unipower confirmed this vehicle was no longer in the UK but he thought a small number were made under license.

As for the original poster’s MH8875 headlight arrangement question, all sources point out that only one MH8875 was made which saw trials in the Middle East (early 1990’s) before put forward to replace the scammell commander in British service and then being sold to Alstom, and later ALE, for heavy haulage. As all photos from its Alvis day’s show it with only double headlight units and slight inaccuracies with that model I suspect the quad headlights were added alongside a bigger/weighted bumper by Alstom for weight distribution.

Old thread I know but thought I’d chime in with what I’ve found on the M series in the hope someone on here is still active.

Attachments

• E47B90C1-0F12-44A0-B1F6-EEB74E7B7E4E.jpeg
    E47B90C1-0F12-44A0-B1F6-EEB74E7B7E4E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom