Ukrainian Conflict NEWS ONLY !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
""securing" what? Russia goes to meetings, doesn't get what it wants, then it starts a "special military operation" to get what it wants. If you're Russian and your grandfather or uncle or the guy down the street served in the Great Patriotic War and you love the country of your birth, then things like this will happen not for the good of whoever is in charge but for the good of the people of Mother Russia. Can't have a threat like the Ukraine next door especially when you want money from gas and oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here, let me be apolitical:

4a108396b671d59e14280c2acd81d13ffa6c8f7cf78025e24e881a8b804a3379_1.webp

Being half-Russian and half-Ukrainian,

That's got to be a hell of a thing right now.

What? Personal loyalty is personal loyalty.
And if someone is personally loyal to both sides in a conflict? That's gotta be... conflicting.

Even if you just *like* both sides in a conflict.

My dad was born on the border of Poland and Russia. A few years before, it was in Russia. Then a border war was fought and it was back in Poland, just in time.

Oooohhhh.....
Let me see now....
What did I say 20 years ago....?

Point to point comms adaptive MANET. Optical via stabilised systems. No broadcast by broad beam anything.

Buried fibre with concealed access.

Cruise missiles flying low are prime targets for simple nets and projected FOD.

Distributed sensor grids can passive track aircraft, systems that can launch on datalinked target information and fly by INS prior to ARH or IR terminal homing.

Drones - that’s interesting as we hear nothing spectacular about drones right now.
The Russians seem to have been able to quite effectively counter the Turkish and other foreign supplied drones in this conflict, depriving of a card the Ukrainians were particularly counting on to at least partially offset the armoured hordes of the Red Army. Interestingly, the Russians have reportedly been able to keep a lot of their Electronic Warfare capability among other things in reserve so far, perhaps suggesting that the counter or counters may be non-EW, such as kill teams being infiltrated to take out drone control centers and their personnel, for example.

Point to point comms adaptive MANET. Optical via stabilised systems. No broadcast by broad beam anything.

Buried fibre with concealed access.
No networked systems!

WilliamAdama.jpg
No open networked systems.

The point about optical point to point MANET is there is no way in and seized platforms are excludable.

It's way to early to be learning any lessons - topic renamed accordingly.

While Western countries make up the biggest section of forum membership, we have Ukrainian and Russian members. I suggest if we are going to have a topic on this, we try to stick to news rather than editorializing.

"The first casualty when war comes is truth."

Hiram Warren Johnson, 1917.

Russia will no longer be allowed to participate in this year's Eurovision Song Contest, the European Broadcasting Union has said. The EBU, which produces the event, said Russia's inclusion could bring the competition into disrepute "in light of the unprecedented crisis in Ukraine".https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60530513

Nobody is going to go to war over Ukraine, but the sanctions are being... Terrible:eek:

Last edited:
Folks, this thread has the potential to head off the cliff and be locked quickly. I know a lot of people are angry/emotional about the situation. May I ask that you please restrain yourself and if you feel that you can't simply do not post as the posts will undoubtedly be deleted and/or the thread locked.

Attachments

• img2.rtve.es.jpg
    img2.rtve.es.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 7
I'll just say one thing (and keep my analyses to myself otherwise):

The way to resist nationalist authoritarian regimes isn't to become an authoritarian regime (I'm referring here mainly to the attitudes of some forum members and some other public commentators).

In a Belgian National TV news-programme this evening, I saw a MiG-29 (Russian or Ukrainian) above Ukraine shooting down an adversary within visual range. Attached two pics I took from the TV-screen while re-watching that broadcast.
Shortly after I had a look around on the internet and found this video...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUp8peHLMMU

Edit:
Can it be determined from that video that the Sukhoi jet shot down is a Su-35 as is claimed, and not a Su-27?

Attachments

• splash_1_bandit.JPG
    splash_1_bandit.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 6
  • shooter_pic1.JPG
    shooter_pic1.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I know some people are desperate to push their pro-american views on everything, especially now Ukraine, i will just repost here the forum rules by which i was strictly trying to keep to when i was a reporting all those blatantly political post on Ukraine

Political, religious and nationalistic topics are strongly discouraged. Specific areas to avoid include your views on specific politicians and parties, Brexit, commentry about immigration, "SJWs" and "woke", antifa, Black Lives Matter, far-right politics and other social/political commentary. You are welcome to have opinions on all these subjects, but they are generally unrelated to the forum core subjects and your posts may be edited or deleted without warning.

I am not certianly telling the mods what to do, far from me, but if you want to be impartial and keep to your forum's own rules this topic shouldn't exist, at least not in this form. If strictly about losses on either side and technical matters, yes, i am actually interested in that too, but not to be used as a platform to promote pro-american propaganda.

Frankly this is one of the last few places i still frequent because i want to avoid the aforementioned disgusting propaganda and hypocrisy some other forums engage in and promote

Btw that MiG-29 video suposedly shooting down a VKS plane is fake

Last edited:
In 1953, the United States realized that nuclear war was not winnable in any sense of the word.
Well, except for the one we actually fought... and won. It's handy when the other side in a nuclear conflict doesn't actually have nukes, of course.

When President Truman heard that General MacArthur was considering using atomic bombs against Chinese troops, he relieved him of command.

Truman fired MacArthur because the latter forgot his place, and that of any US general's place: beneath the President in the command structure. I suspect Eisenhower would have fired him faster.

From the BBC today, some excerpts of a purely military strategy type. No mention of politics.

On Friday afternoon, Russia's defence ministry announced it had captured the Antonov airport, using 200 helicopters and a landing force in order to take the base to the north of Kyiv from Ukraine. Western intelligence officials warned earlier that Russia was building an "overwhelming force" to take control of the city.

Citizens in the northern Obolon district have been told to stay at home to avoid "active military operations" by city officials, Reuters adds. Obolon is the same area where it appeared tanks were filmed earlier in the day.

The Ministry of Defence had already appealed to the district's residents on its Facebook page to "inform us of troop movements, to make Molotov cocktails [firebombs] and neutralise the enemy".

Overnight, families took shelter in Kyiv's metro stations as aerial attacks struck the city, including the densely populated Pozniake area, injuring at least eight.

President Zelensky has vowed to stay in Kyiv and to continue fighting the attacks across Ukraine - which is coming from the north, south and east - ordering the call-up of conscripts and reservists in all of Ukraine's regions. The country's defence minister urged anyone able to hold a weapon to join the effort to repel Russia.

Literally the original poster on youtube admitted it was from DCS. If i come across the original again i'll put the link here
PS: Link here, please read description and comments
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBBJ_JzV8u4

Well, I don´t have a problem then with the images and video being removed.
(Usually Belgian TV-broadcaster VRT is very careful about the origin of the war-footage they select to be shown and they do a lot of fact-checking.)
And I guess it´s time for me to get back to playing some combat-sims, it has been a while...

Do we have any reports saying if the weapons sent to Ukraine are have a marked effect?

Do we have any reports saying if the weapons sent to Ukraine are have a marked effect?

There is no evidence they have done anything, aside from some allegedly Javelins and confirmed NLAWs being captured by DNR forces (or LNR I don't remember).

EDIT: They might have used Stingers actually, but impossible to tell since Ukraine has many Soviet MANPADS it inherited.

I haven’t heard anything as of yet but my suspicion is that some of these donated weapons, specifically the javelins and stingers, are being employed by men who’s country of birth is not the Ukraine.

I don't think anything new has been discovered about going to war. In this particular case, land and resources, along with "we can't have the Ukraine align with the West."

No new insights. And everyone will always be for their own country, not against it.

I know some people are desperate to push their pro-american views on everything, especially now Ukraine,

A sovereign nation being invaded is a "pro American" view? Sir, I believe you might be on the wrong planet.....
If i reply to your comment in kind, "sir", this will prove exactly why this thread should be closed. So i will contain myself for now and wait until it will be closed, with the way it's going.

BTW, apart from the fake MiG-29 "victories", the supposedly "russian" tank that crushes ukrainian car footage you see plastered all over the western media, it's actually an UKRAINIAN Strela-10, which just ran away afterwards, but fortunately locals saved the car driver. Just doing the very little i can to stand against disinformation.

Last edited:
I know some people are desperate to push their pro-american views on everything, especially now Ukraine,

A sovereign nation being invaded is a "pro American" view? Sir, I believe you might be on the wrong planet.....
If i reply to your comment in kind, "sir", this will prove exactly why this thread should be closed. So i will contain myself for now and wait until it will be closed, with the way it's going.
It is difficult to completely ignore the existence of armed conflict in Europe on a forum where there are a bunch of (primarily Western) people discussing military technology, and blocking this topic will inevitably result in spillover into other topics about the use of specific aircraft, tanks etc.

There are multiple viewpoints on the whys and wherefores of this conflict. Its not quite the equivalent of Germany invading France due to the complex history of the region. I don't see any value in discussing that - the sides are too strongly divided. Chinese aviation forums are cheering on the Russians with great satisfaction for example, which makes reading them hard to stomach for a Western audience at present.

Let's stick to reporting what is happening and put all relevant material in the one topic, and people can avoid it if they want.

If i reply to your comment in kind, "sir", this will prove exactly why this thread should be closed.
Explaining why being opposed to Ukraine being conquered is "pro American" means the thread should be closed?
If he explains it, the explanation will be political in nature, which violates the forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.