Ukrainian Conflict NEWS ONLY !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A wide view of the role of economics in hybrid war:

As Fiona Hill and Clifford Gaddy show in “Mr Putin: Operative in the Kremlin”, a book published in 2015, the Russian president has long wished that his country could be self-reliant. Since 2014, however, that ideology has gone into overdrive, with Mr Putin desperate to ensure that the West could never again exert economic control over his country.

OK, this is not exactly news, it's propaganda from Tass. But it *is* news in that it telegraphs Russian interest in launching chemical weapon attacks in Ukraine:

Nationalists cook up provocations with toxic agents in Ukraine - Russian Defense Ministry

MOSCOW, March 9. /TASS/. Nationalists are plotting provocations in Ukraine involving toxic substances in order to pin the blame for the alleged use of chemical weapons on Russia; for this purpose, about 80 tonnes of ammonia have been delivered to the settlement of Zolochev, northwest of Kharkov, Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Wednesday.

Ummmm...

Last edited:

Last edited:
Of the 500 aircraft leased by Russian companies before the war, only 24 have been recovered so far. The rest is probably lost forever.

Still wondering about Ukraine leasing MiG-29s from Poland via the United States... oh wait forget it.

The full overview map of current situation.

1646923342507.png

Southern Frontline​

includes Kherson, Mykolaiv and Odesa Oblast

1646923356267.png

Mariupol​

1646923379079.png

Pryazovia Frontline​

includes Donetsk and Zaporizhzhia Oblast

1646923393553.png

Sloboda Frontline​

includes Kharkiv and Luhansk Oblast

1646923410079.png

Northern Frontline​

includes Chernhiv and Sumy Oblast

1646923424725.png

Polesia Frontline

includes Kyiv and Zhytomyr Oblast

1646923441007.png

At the risk of commentary, those three hits look clearly like direct fire of some kind to me. Perhaps AT gun or MBT; I don't see any object approach the three vehicles. No judgement, no idea who's vehicles those even are. Just very much direct fire not arty.

At the risk of commentary, those three hits look clearly like direct fire of some kind to me. Perhaps AT gun or MBT; I don't see any object approach the three vehicles. No judgement, no idea who's vehicles those even are. Just very much direct fire not arty.
Couldn't say, I have no idea what either look like.

OK, this is not exactly news, it's propaganda from Tass. But it *is* news in that it telegraphs Russian interest in launching chemical weapon attacks in Ukraine:

Nationalists cook up provocations with toxic agents in Ukraine - Russian Defense Ministry

MOSCOW, March 9. /TASS/. Nationalists are plotting provocations in Ukraine involving toxic substances in order to pin the blame for the alleged use of chemical weapons on Russia; for this purpose, about 80 tonnes of ammonia have been delivered to the settlement of Zolochev, northwest of Kharkov, Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Wednesday.

Ummmm...

This seems to be Russia's plan for dealing with all the leased aircraft that are due to be returned. If they do down this road they will never be able to fly those aircraft abroad out of fear that the airframes will be repossessed. Would lessors even accept payment in rubles ?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Jamie_Freed/status/1501805306695020545

Edit: It looks like even the Chinese don't want to risk getting dragged into these sanctions. I don't blame them.

Last edited:
Repo will be rather difficult, spares for airframes they have might be a bigger issue what with the PRC declaration that they will be ceasing spares trade. At least publicly at any rate.

FNd4dAXX0AEiSfd

FNfG__UXsAM35JK

Even Russian State TV Is Pleading With Putin to Stop the War

State TV pundit Karen Shakhnazarov pointed out: “The war in Ukraine paints a frightening picture, it has a very oppressive influence on our society. Ukraine, whichever way you see it, is something with which Russia has thousands of human links. The suffering of one group of innocents does not compensate for the suffering of other innocent people... I don’t see the probability of denazification of such an enormous country. We would need to bring in 1.5 million soldiers to control all of it. At the same time, I don’t see any political power that would consolidate the Ukrainian society in a pro-Russian direction... Those who talked of their mass attraction to Russia obviously didn’t see things the way they are. The most important thing in this scenario is to stop our military action. Others will say that sanctions will remain. Yes, they will remain, but in my opinion discontinuing the active phase of a military operation is very important.”

Resorting to the traditional propaganda tropes prevalent in Russian state media, Shakhnazarov accused the United States of starting the war—and trying to prolong it indefinitely. He speculated: “What are they achieving by prolonging the war? First of all, public opinion within Russia is changing. People are shocked by the masses of refugees, the humanitarian catastrophe, people start to imagine themselves in their place. It’s starting to affect them. To say that the Nazis are doing that is not quite convincing, strictly speaking...

And then...

Soloviev added: “This is a frightening war that is being waged against us by America.”

While this isn't strictly "Ukraine news," I think it's a useful point that should be made whenever the "booga booga Ukrainians were studying bird flues." From March 7:

Bird flu confirmed in northwest Iowa commercial turkey flock

The discovery of avian influenza is especially troubling in Iowa, the nation’s leading egg producer. In 2015, an outbreak led producers to kill 33 million hens in the state and 9 million birds in Minnesota, the nation’s leading turkey producer. ...
The first infection this year was identified in a commercial flock of turkeys in Indiana on Feb. 9. Since then, five additional flocks have been found with cases in Indiana, where more than 171,000 birds have been killed and removed. The virus also was detected in a flocks of turkeys and broiler chickens in Kentucky last month, resulting in the destruction and disposal of more than 284,000 birds. A commercial chicken flock in Delaware also was infected, leading to the disposal of 1.2 million birds, the USDA said.

In the past few days officials have identified the virus on a southeast Missouri farm with 240,000 broiler chickens, a commercial mixed species flock in southeastern South Dakota and an egg-laying hen operation in northeast Maryland.

Bird flues are not an economic joke, and the study and combat of them is important and valid work. And it's the work that Russian propaganda is arguing *against* (following is a Google translation of a Russian propaganda "news" piece:

The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation disclosed details of a US project being developed in Ukrainian laboratories to study the spread of dangerous infections through migratory birds

The goal of the project being developed in Ukrainian laboratories is to study the spread of especially dangerous infections through migratory birds, including highly pathogenic H5N1 influenza, whose lethality for humans reaches 50%, as well as Newcastle disease.

Oh noes! Ukrainians were studying a deadly disease that could fark up their economy! How dare they!

Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.