Ukrainian Conflict NEWS ONLY !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hackers have claimed to inject Ukrainian war footage into various Russian state media. Is there anyone here that confirm?
IFLS isn't the most rigorous source and Aonymous certainly isn't, but here's a summary of the claims.

Generally related stuff from the Beeb:

The New York Times. The disturbing thing about this is that irregular (uncentred, non-state affiliated, nonprofessional) cyberwar is almost certainly here to stay.

The Independent is a fairly reliable source (paywalled, alas):

Anonymous hacked streaming services and TV news channels in Russia to broadcast footage of the country’s war with Ukraine amid a heavy clampdown on information by Vladimir Putin’s government, according to reports.

'According to reports' adds a whiff of salt.

Better than nuclear. I posted something before referencing a NYT piece saying that the Biden admin were thinking of winding back sanctions on Venezuela so it could export more oil to relieve the pressure on oil prices. They're still "just thinking about it" though.

It's insanely wishful thinking TBH. Maduro, and the rest of OPEC, have more or less agreed to not increase oil production due to Russian sanctions through abstention of the US sanctions and continued trade with Russia. On a more basic level, it's also hard to imagine why people who make money directly based on oil costs would want to reduce the price of oil. They're raking in cash hand over fist right now. With the knowledge that oil prices will come down in the future (we hit "peak oil" in terms of use a few years ago, it will only go down), it would be smart to just ignore shale and keep the price high.

More worrying is that Russia exports a lot of grain and fertilizer to these same countries, so increase in prices of those exports are going to make food riots a possibility in some OPEC countries like Libya and Algeria.

Russia also now said it will cut off gas to Europe if oil is sanctioned.

I can't imagine a better time to be a shale oilman than if it hits $300/barrel, either.

It's important to keep in mind this is mud season. There is no "off road" in the rasputitsa. It swallows trucks and tanks alike. War of roads means roads are the control: the maps are essentially identical but one just highlights how little you can move off road. This explains the mega convoy is not simply filtering into nearby woods and terrains as it might in more solid ground like the South African veldts or a North American parking lot: they would get stuck like the Pantsirs have been getting stuck.

It may change if the war drags on long enough for mud season to end, but that seems unlikely as it looks like a peace settlement will be reached before then, as both Russian and Ukrainian negotiators have made "steady" progress (according to both sides).

In a more bizarre twist of the truth, perhaps a sign of the times I guess.

Conspiracy theorists really be out in force.

Last edited:

Thread now re-openned after a thorough clean out. I deleted some 201 posts so am sure to have annoyed everyone equally. Because of the large quantity of posts deleted it was not practical to send individual messages to all users - see some of Paul's comments here on this. I apologise for this. Some posts were deleted because they were offering commentary whereas others were blatantly off-topic and against forum rules for things such as political posting or trolling or other bad behaviour. It seems some people can't comprehend the concept of "News Only" or learn how to act in a civilised, adult manner!

If you have questions about any particular post of yours that might have been deleted please contact me.

In re-openning the thread, I reinforce the following:

1. It is for news only. some responses are allowed if they clarify an aspect of the news but comments along the lines of "I disagree or I think this or that about a story" are discouraged;
  2. Play nicely in a civilised manner and try to act like adults. If you prove that you can't do this, you may face being banned from responding to this thread or even more severe actions;
  3. Recognising this is an emotional topic for many, if you find that you can't control your comments, just don't bother posting - go look up some interesting projects instead and inform us all; and
  4. Re-read the Forum Rules so that you understand the guidelines that we have all agreed to live by in this forum.

Last edited:

This defense blog has a good summary of today's developments. It's in dutch but google translate should take care of it.

Edit: Some pretty big news coming out of Poland.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/PadokKubica/status/1501274007127142402

Last edited:
Here's the full seminar.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5lzKVn3sc&ab_channel=OxfordUnion

Here's a panel discussion. One topic is Putin's own continuing tenure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P8fAUWyePw&ab_channel=TheSpectator

"Poland has volunteered to give its 23 MiG-29s to the U.S. immediately, presumably for transfer to Ukraine, in exchange for an opportunity to buy used American aircraft, the Polish Minister of Foreign Affairs said March 8."

"Neither the Pentagon, Air Force, nor State Department had any immediate comment."

"The move is not technically a reversal from Poland’s position the day before, when Duda’s office tweeted that Poland “won’t send its fighter jets to Ukraine,” or allow that country to use its airfields. The new March 8 message did not specify that the jets would go to Ukraine, but to the U.S."

"According to Polish government accounts, that country’s MiG-29s are flyable but need a lot of maintenance, the engines being particularly unreliable. Poland’s statement did not mention spare engines or whether any compatible ordnance for the jets would be provided."

View: https://twitter.com/AkbarSAhmed/status/1501329928071127046

Status
Not open for further replies.