UK Thermonuclear Warheads.

For that matter, does anyone know of the origin of the Short Granite image?

The image no doubt is from the late Lorna Arnold's book "Britain and the H-Bomb" as other declassified images of the other thermonuclear test-devices I don't know if there are any however it is very likely that they used identical radiation-cases to that of the Short Granite device in order to keep variables to a minimum (And hence fewer tests).

For that matter, does anyone know of the origin of the Short Granite image?

The image no doubt is from the late Lorna Arnold's book "Britain and the H-Bomb" as other declassified images of the other thermonuclear test-devices I don't know if there are any however it is very likely that they used identical radiation-cases to that of the Short Granite device in order to keep variables to a minimum (And hence fewer tests).
I'm not sure that would be the case. Some of the devices were orientated towards different applications with different weight and yield requirements. For example, the later Z series had lower yields but were not considered failures, suggesting they met their design goals.

Edit:

Page 15: British 2200 lb and 1500 lb thermonuclear devices are described. I believe that Grapple Z2 was the small device, based on the fact it used the Indigo Hammer primary, which was much smaller than their other primary devices (excluding Pixie that is).

Last edited: