• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

UK Nuclear rocket.

Spark

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Oblique reference in Spaceflight, to UK 1950’s interest in Nuclear powered rocket. Date wise fits in with the active RAE; RAF’s manned military spaceflight development programme. Has any one details references please?
Official UK work on Liquid Hydrogen propellant started circa1951?

DarkLord

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
There is a document in the PRO at Kew, giving some information on the use of nuclear power. I could put it on a CD for you as it too big to post. In conversation with Roy Dommet; he told me that they had a proposal an Atomic powered Blue Streak, which would have been a very "dirty" missile, rendering the blast area untenable!

Michel Van

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
DarkLord, are we talking here about British Nuclear powered ICBM similar to the YaRD OKB-456 !?

DarkLord

Reaction score
The report deals mainly with the propulsion, I had a conversation with Roy Dommet researching a book I am planning to write. It was a design for a single engine (nuclear) to be fitted to the blue streak. A warhead would be fitted but it was thought that the explosion would be greater if the engine was taken into account. The range would have been IRBM/ICBM. I am not familiar with the example you quoted.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Was the idea reduced warning time, or to enable the final stage to remain and manoeuvre in orbit until a target became available (I presume it was a two stage design with the conventional Blue Streak as the first stage)? Or was it just simply a range extender?

As for the question on the OKB-456: YaRD ICBM (Encyclopedia Astronautica)

Michel Van

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Grey Havoc said:
Was the idea reduced warning time, or to enable the final stage to remain and manoeuvre in orbit until a target became available (I presume it was a two stage design with the conventional Blue Streak as the first stage)? Or was it just simply a range extender?

As for the question on the OKB-456: YaRD ICBM (Encyclopedia Astronautica)

Nope, That's single stage rocket with a Nuclear engine that is GROUND LAUNCH !!!
The Idea behind it is to get warhead so fast as possible to target and as Bonus a very dirty nuclear explosion, thanks to Nuclear engine.

TsrJoe

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
are there any schematic drawings or further information on a possible nuclear powered Blue Streak ?

Vonbaron

Reaction score
Greetings. Vonbaron here.
I am doing research on Operation Falstaff ,which was part of the Chevaline development project 1968-1979
Would anyone have any information what occurred at Woomera?
Are there any schematic drawings or information on the Falstaff rocket-Stonechat moto/PAC system?
Was there nuclear component testing done?
Sincere thanks

Vonbaron

Reaction score
Have you got this?

I’ve been told a few anecdotes.
Greetings Thank you no i have not read this
Appreciate the information
What are the anecdotes that you have heard ?
Sincere thanks
Like you there are many stories abound, but little facts. Still can not believe that after 50years ,both the Australian and British governements still have not de-classified the files.There must have been more going on than just testing the PAC system?