UK 1975 Hydrographic Study Group

Yellow Palace

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Over the last couple of weekends, I've come into ownership of a couple of volumes of Janes Fighting Ships. Some people might call this a problem, but not me. In several of these, the earliest one in my possession being the 1982-1983 edition, the following statement (or one very much like it in other editions) appears in the section on survey ships:

In 1974 the Minister of State for Defence set up the Hydrographic Studies Group which reported on 27 March 1975. Among the recommendations made by this group was an increase of the Royal navy's Hydrographic Service by four coastal survey ships between 1979-81 and three inshore survey craft between 1978-1979. By this year (1982) the only change in this service has been a reduction of two inshore survey craft and the promise of an additional coastal survey ship in the future. With unstable areas in the southern North Sea/Channel area the planned introduction of Trident submarines and increasing off-shore exploration the UK is now seriously deficient in its hydrographic surveying capabilities.

At the time of the report, the RN's survey capability comprised four ocean survey ships, four coastal survey ships, and five inshore survey vessels. The additional coastal survey ship emerged as ROEBUCK in 1986, while the two inshore survey craft deleted were the converted Ham-class ships WATERWITCH and WOODLARK.

Had the 1975 proposals been implemented, presumably the new coastal survey ships would have been along the lines of ROEBUCK, as she was herself an updated BULLDOG. The new inshore survey craft are open to speculation. Additional Ham-class conversions are possible, though unlikely - the class was rather long in the tooth by then and being retired. Other ships of similar size then entering RN service (the Hunt-class MCMV and Bird-class patrol ship) don't seem particularly likely either. Unless documentation shows up, there's really nothing to rule anything in or out, including a wholly new design. This would have brought the hydrographic squadron up to four ocean survey ships, eight coastal survey ships, and eight inshore survey craft.

Instead, of course, the three ECHO class inshore survey craft were retired in 1985, arguably replaced by the singleton GLEANER, and one of the ocean survey ships retired in 1986, bringing the force to three ocean survey ships, five coastal survey ships, and one survey motor launch. Further reductions post-1990 are arguably associated with the 'peace dividend'.

Last edited:
In several of these, the earliest one in my possession being the 1982-1983 edition, the following statement (or one very much like it in other editions) appears in the section on survey ships:
I think this text was still in place in the 1989-90 edition too. I need to refresh my memory tonight what the text says, its broadly the same as this but might offer a little more detail. Certainly Jane's felt it worthy to keep this historical note of the failure to translate the study report into action.

In several of these, the earliest one in my possession being the 1982-1983 edition, the following statement (or one very much like it in other editions) appears in the section on survey ships:
I think this text was still in place in the 1989-90 edition too. I need to refresh my memory tonight what the text says, its broadly the same as this but might offer a little more detail. Certainly Jane's felt it worthy to keep this historical note of the failure to translate the study report into action.
The 1989-1990 edition does still have it, with an added dig at the work not going away despite the lack of action: With unstable areas in the southern North Sea/Channel area the planned introduction of Trident submarines and increasing off-shore exploration the UK has found it expedient to undertake much coastal work around the British Isles by chartered vessels with Naval Parties embarked.