Tucker Aviation XP-57

The article in AIR CLASSICS used my own artwork as a header, snatched from deviantART. They removed the watermark digitally and published it without my consent or even asking. I could have saved them the pains of cleaning up the image; I could have given them a better resolution image... but hey! why bother asking when you can plain steal the stuff, right?! Fair enough, they DID mention my name as the artist. Still, it doesn't make the practice any more acceptable, considering the magazine is sold (contrary to someone posting on a blog) and I wouldn't have asked for much. I wrote to tell them how badly I felt about the episode, requesting that at least they have the decency to send me a copy of that issue... They never replied.

Attachments

• enhanced (smaller).jpg
    enhanced (smaller).jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Tucker XP-57 (with copyright).jpg
    Tucker XP-57 (with copyright).jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 71
Well that sucks!

The producers of Air Classics, Challenge Publications, will be basing their moves on lawyers' advice. This will be calculated and intentional. Challenger won't reply because, legally, acknowledging such practices would reveal guilt not mere culpability.

That said, both Challenge Publications' management and legal team are relying on you not asserting your rights. And you are right not to - the US copyright game is fully rigged in favour of corporate interests which can best survive the litigiousness involved. Publicly outing Challenge Publications' sleazy practices is the best revenge.

Right now, Challenge Publications can still attracts good authors and photographers. But even the reputation of 'the-only-remaining-game-in-town' can suffer if the managers/editorial staff keep behaving like scumbags ...

I don't want to derail this thread, but I know what you are feeling @Stargazer .
A couple of years ago, I published an article in Air Classics and they never bother to pay me nor sending me a copy of the magazine with the article.

At least they did answered my emails, but after a while... they simply stop replying.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I know what you are feeling @Stargazer .
A couple of years ago, I published an article in Air Classics and they never bother to pay me nor sending me a copy of the magazine with the article.

At least they did answered my emails, but after a while... they simply stop replying.
I had a similar problem with a skydiving magazine publishing my article without informing me … much less sending me a copy … so I quit submitting articles to them.