Tu-156 AWACS

Golfus

Lo que diga Don Manué
Reaction score
Some time ago, I found this pics in http://legion.wplus.net. It was a soviet project for an AWACS based on a jet powered version of the Tu-114 airliner. In fact, it should be considered a jet powered Tu-126 "Moss" AWACS. Sadly, the page is in russian. Any aditional info (and drawings) should be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Golfus said:
Some time ago, I found this pics in http://legion.wplus.net. It was a soviet project for an AWACS based on a jet powered version of the Tu-114 airliner. In fact, it should be considered a jet powered Tu-126 "Moss" AWACS. Sadly, the page is in russian. Any aditional info (and drawings) should be welcome.

Thanks in advance

All that I have ever seen is a photograph of a desk model. The Tu-156 lost to the Il-76 as a platform Tu-126 replacment. It must have made sense at the time, since the unbuilt Tu-156 and very prolific Il-76 shared the same engines.

In late 60's, there was a strong need for a second generation AEW aircraft in the Soviet Union.

Tupolev examined the following options:

Tu-142M, the PVO prefered choice, but the narrow fuselage offered little space.
Tu-126, the best choice for Tupolev, but all the jigs had been thrown away
Tu-154 configuration and endurance proved unsuitable for the role
Analysis indicated that an all-new design would be best and subsequently, the Tu-156 crystalliced.

On 7th August 1969 Il'yushin received a ruling requiring to undertake preliminary development of an AWACS based on the Il-76 project. It was designated Il-70

The Tu-156 proved unacceptable to the Soviet Air Force, which insisted that an aircraft in production should be used. Eventually, they opted for the Il-76 as the basis for the new AWACS.

The Il-76 first flight took place on 25th March 1971.
Il'yushin teamed with with Beriev and the resulting Aircraft was designated A-50.

Tu-156 Project Data:

Length: 52.2 m
Wing Span: 45.8 m
Max TOW: 182.000 Kg
Service range, on internal fuel: 5200 Km
Powerplant: Solov'yov D-30KP turbofan 12000 Kgp

I have no drawings on the type. Just the pics from the model you already know

Saludos

Source:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-7373509-8501568?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=soviet%2Frussian+awacs+aircraft&Go.x=16&Go.y=9&Go=Go

Some additional images to the reply#2/post by Antonio
1) Tu-95 AWACS
2) Tu-154 AWACS (one of the two proposed versions)
3) Tu-156 AWACS

(from V.Rigmant - Domestic AWACS planes and helicopters
drawings A.Yurgenson)

Attachments

• Tu-95 AVACS.jpg
    Tu-95 AVACS.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Tu-154B.jpg
    Tu-154B.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Tu-156.jpg
    Tu-156.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,186
The Tu-156 range figure is interesting, it's a lot less than the Tu-114 (which has a range of 6200 km according to Wikipedia, but it has done transatlantic flights of 8200 km without refueling, presumably with a lighter load).

Hi! Tu-156 model. Very beautiful aircraft. I feel DC-8.
http://www.baomoi.com/tham-quan-cuc-thiet-ke-tupolev-danh-tieng-cua-nga/c/13865395.epi

Attachments

• douglas-dc-8-63.png
    douglas-dc-8-63.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Almost same scale Tu-126_and_Tu-156.jpg
    Almost same scale Tu-126_and_Tu-156.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 370
  • Tu-156.jpg
    Tu-156.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 317
This must have been a development of the Tu-126 only in the sense of using the same mission equipment (In the same way that the Shakleton was a development of the Skyraider). The fuselage looks narrower than the Tu-114 but wider than the Tu-95 and the wing looks like it has little in common with anything in the Bear family (unsurprising since the main landing gear had to be relocated).
Oddly, I've never seen any mention of a airliner, transport or tanker version of this airplane. The fuselage seems sized for an airliner/military transport - it's certainly bigger than needed for an AWACs airplane. Basing an entire development program on the relatively small numbers of AWACS airframes needed by the Soviet air force would seem an obvious non-starter.
I think that the Northrop Tacit Blue is the only completely new airplane ever built (just) to haul a radar around (the Yak-44 was only a mockup and the E-2 shares it's wing and tail with the C-2).

Il-62 competitor?

IL-62 wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-62
"Il-62M Improved version, powered by four 24,250-lb (107.9 kN) Soloviev D-30KU turbofan engines."

taildragger said:
I think that the Northrop Tacit Blue is the only completely new airplane ever built to haul a radar around (the Yak-44 was only a mockup and the E-2 shares it's wing and tail with the C-2).

True, but the C-2 is a development of the E-2, not the other way around. The E-2 was indeed built specifically to carry a radar.

I haven't researched it, but I'd bet that, whatever the sequence of development, the E-2 and C-2 were planned as part of a package deal. The precedent had been set by the E-1, S-1 and C-1 afterall so a COD and perhaps other developments must have been envisioned by both Grumman and the Navy at the outset.

taildragger said:
This must have been a development of the Tu-126 only in the sense of using the same mission equipment (In the same way that the Shakleton was a development of the Skyraider). The fuselage looks narrower than the Tu-114 but wider than the Tu-95 and the wing looks like it has little in common with anything in the Bear family (unsurprising since the main landing gear had to be relocated).
Oddly, I've never seen any mention of a airliner, transport or tanker version of this airplane. The fuselage seems sized for an airliner/military transport - it's certainly bigger than needed for an AWACs airplane. Basing an entire development program on the relatively small numbers of AWACS airframes needed by the Soviet air force would seem an obvious non-starter.
I think that the Northrop Tacit Blue is the only completely new airplane ever built (just) to haul a radar around (the Yak-44 was only a mockup and the E-2 shares it's wing and tail with the C-2)

I understand the Tu-156 proposal used a stretched Tu-154 fuselage with a new, optimised wings; should it be considered a Tu-154 derivative?

Terry (Caravellarella)

Yes my dear Caravellarella,

there was three Tu-156 designations as I know.

Il-70 name belonged to passanger aircraft with 4 jet engines. As to be honest I never saw any pix of Il-70 aWACS. Will be very gratful to anybody who will provide its pix or drawings.

Attachments

• Il-70 for spf.jpg
    Il-70 for spf.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 226
But in MDB was AWACS project M-52/ There were about 20+ different variants on base M-52.
Some were very exotic. This pic made by Luca Landino.

Attachments

• MDB M-52 AWACS project for spf.jpg
    MDB M-52 AWACS project for spf.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 394
ucon said:
But in MDB was AWACS project M-52/ There were about 20+ different variants on base M-52.

Wow, truly amazing! I never get enough of Myasishchev B)

ucon said:

Which leaves me wondering --- having just finished re-reading 'Battle Flight' and 'The Air Staff and the AEW'. They say that the above fuselage rotor dome on the likes of the E-4 had large areas which the scanner was blanked by the airframe, this would have virtually everything blanked --

It certainly appears to have more fuselage and power than it should need. Another of the fantasy for the what if chronicles.

Tu-156 3d model

tim-samedov-scr1.jpg