TSR2 - Britain's Lost Bomber - Damien Burke

TsrJoe said:
just purchased a copy through evilbay, sooo looking forward to this one, theres a shot on that last page you posted there i hadnt seen previously too, cool

cheers, Joe

That makes you and me then Joe ;D

Geoff Baker gave me the heads up to the Ebay signed copies sale, and when I saw the sample pages you posted Damien, I just had to have a copy!

Somehow, methinks you'll find the membership of the Project Cancelled SIG will be spending most of the upcoming Scale Model World show huddled round this book plotting next years model builds...... ;)

cheers

Duncan

The pages posted above look fantastic; I can't imagine how much time you spent writing the book! I ordered a copy direct from Crowood a few weeks ago, hopefully they're sending out their orders real soon now ...

FutureSpaceTourist said:
I can't imagine how much time you spent writing the book!
Damien commissioned me in March 2006 and I believe he was already well underway with his book then!

Having not seen too much of the interior of the book yet, those preview pages look nothing short of stunning! Without a shadow of a doubt, Damien has produced the new standard reference on the type.

Still no big parcel from the distributors I'm afraid guys - sorry Duncan and Joe - going to be a few more days before yours arrives.

Hallo You guys.
I ordered this book via amazon last june. After they set back the delivery date 2 or 3 times, I should have eventually had the book on the 22nd of October.
No such luck!!!!.
Now it seems to be deferred indefinetly!!!!. Will I ever get this book????.
Nigel

Checked with the publishers this afternoon and the distributors were sending them out to retailers today. Obviously they had to sit on them for another week in an attempt to get the government to cancel the project. Assuming my load turn up tomorrow before the post office close I'll be despatching them to people who've ordered from me same day - can't speak for Amazon et al.

DamienB said:
Checked with the publishers this afternoon and the distributors were sending them out to retailers today. Obviously they had to sit on them for another week in an attempt to get the government to cancel the project.

:D

DamienB said:
Assuming my load turn up tomorrow before the post office close I'll be despatching them to people who've ordered from me same day - can't speak for Amazon et al.

Excellent!

Fingers crossed now....

cheers

Duncan

Can't wait to get mine !!

Any idea, how long it takes to Germany ?

CHeers, Deino

If by Airmail, anything from 3 days to two weeks in my experience. Haven't had any orders from Germany though, so it'd depend entirely on where you bought it from and what sort of postal service they are using.

Hi Damien!.
I cancelled my Amazon order and I ordered one from you through good old E-Bay.
So thanks in advance.
Nigel

Damien I want a copy too, could you please post that e-bay link to order?

Thanks in advance.

Antonio

pometablava said:

Damien I want a copy too, could you please post that e-bay link to order?

Thanks in advance.

Antonio

Its at the top of Overscans reply #37 with the sample pages

TSR2 - Britain's Lost Bomber - Damien Burke AVAILABLE NOW!

You can also buy via the site at www.tsr2.info - for a limited time I'm offering free UK postage (and reduced foreign postage) on there (no massive evilbay fees to deal with - they get £5.59 inc the Paypal fee so I have to charge postage on there).

Just received my copy this morning before setting out to the lecture on the
P 1154. Massive tome and lots of new material.

Oh yes, I also now know that 48 TSR2s (plus recces) were to be at Marham and that would have
been SACEUR's replacement for the Valiants. Looking forward to bed time reading this
evening (late).

Any coincidence that the author has a black labrador like the erstwhile CO of 617 sqn!

UK 75

My copy arrived today. ;D

I have so far managed only a cursory glance through its contents, but what I see looks very interesting indeed!

cheers

Duncan

Mine also arrived today ;D

FutureSpaceTourist said:
The pages posted above look fantastic

and they're even better in reality, wow. The whole book just oozes quality, an instant classic. Thank you Damien.

Well I've had an opportunity to take a more leisurely (and detailed) look at the contents, and frankly, I'm hugely impressed.

With so much win in this book, its hard to even begin to pick out individual gems, the drawings are superbly detailed and hugely informative, and the section on the various design proposals offers up many previously unknown facts about the various companies bids, as well as offering a deeper insight into how they were viewed by the MoS and Air Ministry when evaluated.

The sheer amount of detail included is mind boggling, simply put, this book is a must have, even if you couldn't care less about the PD designs, and only want to model an accurate TSR2. There are reference works on aircraft that have had long and successful operational careers that have less detail in them.

Damien,

I think it is safe to say that you have set a new standard as to what a reference work should be like.

cheers

Duncan

Damien's book just arrived through the letterbox this morning... thunk!

... an excellent volume and definately what can be considered a definative work on the type, i am pleasantly surprised to see a few items of new material to me too, eg. Lightning trainer proposal, TSR.2 ADV. etc. amazing research indeed :thumbsup:

ill do a proper read through later today but no real crits as yet, looks an excellent volume indeed, amazingly well produced too setting what should be a new standard for works of this type (id love a biblography tho)

a definate 5 star rating methinks

cheers, Joe Warner Cherrie

An excellent book, after hearing other authors saying that there was nothing new out there, you found an amazing amount of previously unknown information.
Thank you for producing this, I have waited for 30 years for a decent book on the TSR2 and you've done it.

Alan

Thanks Alan! Anybody who says there is nothing new to be found simply hasn't looked hard enough - and I think that goes for just about any subject.

Incidentally www.tsr2.info now includes a bonus content page for people who've bought the book - I may expand it as I get spare time to do so.

in your researches did you find any photographs of XR221 beyond its initial construction stages? just wondering as this was one of the gaps i couldnt close B)

stil i reckon this must be the 'ultimate' TSR.2 reference book, definately fills a long awaited niche in the market, sincerest congrats Damien

ps. erm re post #40 ... If there's not a lot more than one image you've haven't seen before in the book, I'll eat my hat... ;D

ah yip, iv only ever found one image of XR221 out of the assembly jigs and outside the hanger, there definately must be others out there im sure as the airframe was virtually complete, iv checked the range archives too but again no 221! (on a similar note, remind me to show you scans of the Shoeburyness logs someday)

cheers, Joe

If you mean this shot:

http://tsr2.multiply.com/photos/album/40/TSR.2_XO.3_XR221_jasper#photo=1

...then I'm afraid it isn't XR221, which did not have camera fairings on the intake sides. The hangar doors and roof skylights are also distinctive - it's the hangar at Boscombe.

To help show this, here's your shot lightened to bring out the skylight detail:

notxr221.jpg

Compare the hangar doors and floodlights above the door runners with this shot of XR219 being towed out of the hangar at Boscombe:

alsonotxr221.jpg

...and compare the skylights with this shot of XR219 in the hangar at Boscombe:

stillnotxr221.jpg

What you've got there is a shot of XR220 being towed out at Boscombe, I'd guess February 1965 or so.

hmm, we stil need images of the 'finished' XR221 just for completeness, as you know theres photographs in the Warton files of components right up to 660. Of possible interest, iv a note from Jim Dell that it was nicknamed 'jasper' (to go with 'jim' and 'joe') so mustv been pretty much ready at cancellation

iv another shot which i think might show 221, ill have to find it again in the files, the one im thinking def shows differences between 220 even tho there is what looks to be a fairing mount on the intake?

cheers for the link i didnt know thaat was stil there, i thought id pulled all my remaining TSR.2 material online same as id done with my sp posts, oops, ill def do so now, some of the snippets i added there i wont be posting again, so anyone wanting to save whats there do so now as ill be removing the pages systematically then closing the site, please note the images are not for reproduction elsewhere without the courtesy of at least asking

cheers, Joe

My copy arrived today, thanks a lot Damien. A very good book!!!, I just had a quick look at it WOW!!!!!!!.
Nigel

Nigel Roche said:
A very good book!!!, I just had a quick look at it WOW!!!!!!!.
Nigel

It does have that effect doesn't it ;D

I can't put the thing down, I'm half way through already!!!!, fascinating. I Think the caption under the photo on page is wrong. The two toolmakers using a theodolite are setting in a post, situated on the A/C centre line, which will carry the 'Taylor Hobsen' sweep squares(Telescopes). There were 6 placed around the Jig set in at defined distances in X,Yand Z from the A/C datums. I'm not trying to be clever, its just for the record. Today we us other measuring methods such as Laser Trackers for setting up the tooling.
Do you know whats missing: An accurate 3 view including frame sections as a pull out.
Does anybody know where I can get one?, they may not even exist, maybe in Australia.
Nigel.