TSR-2 Automated Flight Control Systems

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I remember hearing the TSR-2 had a heavily automated automatic-flight control systems based on the VERDAN which was used on the A-5 Vigilante, but that the system was removed from the design somewhere along the way.

Why was this done?

KJ_Lesnick

I doubt that was the case. Most systems were made by Smiths, others by Ferranti.

The Ferranti moving map navigation system was independent from the flight control system and used doppler and gyro compass inputs. Maps were on 35mm positive film.

Side-looking radar provided confirmation of position and the moving map was updated according to what was seen on the radar.

Don't forget that British military planes had self-contained nav systems in those days (no SatNav) so that radio silence could be maintained.

How do I know all this? I worked on navigation systems at Boscombe Down, and attended a course on the moving map system!

Bri :)

http://www.stevebroadbent.net/036a.pdf

Read this and all will become clear. Verdan was a US computer and 2 were used in TSR2.

Why did they eventually take away the automated flight control system from the design? If the TSR-2 flew do you think it would have had an effect on technological developments in other airplanes?

The link in overscan's post is hugely relevant to KJ_L's Q. TSR.2 did fly, though with very basic avionics; the AFCS was not deleted, just changed; there was a skein of continuity on through AFVG,UKVG, into MRCA. Much of the "conspiracy" nonsense puffed around TSR.2's deletion could be put to bed if someone here could tie in the timeline in design of these airframes, with the technology leading to EASAMS' definition in 1968 of the digital data bus, core of MRCA. I remember the essence of that as a chip from Beckman which provided a "window" (yes, really!) through which TFR spoke to E-Scope, on to AFCS, on to Stores Management System.

All everso novel. All consuming rather less space/heat/vibration than the cavern of TSR.2's equipment bay. It was galloping avionics obsolescence, 1957-1964, that did for TSR.2, not a commie plot by Red Wilson.

Nah, the size of the technology in Tornado is such you should able to easily fit it into the TSR.2.
The airplane was not obselescent, just some of the avionics inside.
In fact scrapping the development machines likely raised the costs for the MRCA, as a lot of development for that aircraft could've been done of the TSR.2

But the TSR.2 is a fiasco anyway and should never have been. For that however we have to look to 1957.

alertken said:
The link in overscan's post is hugely relevant to KJ_L's Q. TSR.2 did fly, though with very basic avionics; the AFCS was not deleted, just changed; there was a skein of continuity on through AFVG,UKVG, into MRCA. Much of the "conspiracy" nonsense puffed around TSR.2's deletion could be put to bed if someone here could tie in the timeline in design of these airframes, with the technology leading to EASAMS' definition in 1968 of the digital data bus, core of MRCA. I remember the essence of that as a chip from Beckman which provided a "window" (yes, really!) through which TFR spoke to E-Scope, on to AFCS, on to Stores Management System.

What's the MRCA and E-Scope?

Kendra Lesnick

Tornado in 1968 was the Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (or if you prefer, Mother Riley's Cardboard Aircraft, or yet again Must Refurbish Canberras Again). The Elliott E-Scope presented the TFR image.