Tsiolkovsky space station?

nyrath

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
When I was a teenager, I enjoyed this book cover:

Since then, I realize that the artist copied Tsiolkovsky's space station. What is irritating me is that I cannot seem to locate the source image. I clearly remember seeing it once in a book popularizing space travel, but I don't remember the book.

Can anybody help?

These are the only other images I've managed to find:

alas they are mainly of the other side.

Thanks in advance!

---
Winchell Chung http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/
 

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
5,309
Reaction score
2,308
welcom to Secret Projects Forum, Winchell Chung !

we had simelar discution here
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5993.0.html

on book cover i found only this
Early edition of Tsiolkovsky's book entitled "Grezy o Zemle i Nebe"
 

Attachments

  • Tsiolkovsky_Study.jpg
    Tsiolkovsky_Study.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 11

nyrath

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
Thank you, this is a fascinating place.
Of course, I'd think that of an place that Scott Lowther frequented.

The image of the space station that I'm thinking of is pretty much an exact duplicate of the "High Crusade" book cover. So much that I think it was traced by the artist.
 

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
5,309
Reaction score
2,308
nyrath said:
Thank you, this is a fascinating place.
Of course, I'd think that of an place that Scott Lowther frequented.

look for Orionblamblam and you find him :D
OM said:
...Egads! Lowther has a fan!! ;D

one ? I'm a Lowther fan too !
 

magnus_z

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Aug 15, 2009
Messages
115
Reaction score
23
nyrath said:
When I was a teenager, I enjoyed this book cover:

Since then, I realize that the artist copied Tsiolkovsky's space station. What is irritating me is that I cannot seem to locate the source image. I clearly remember seeing it once in a book popularizing space travel, but I don't remember the book.

Can anybody help?

These are the only other images I've managed to find:

alas they are mainly of the other side.

Thanks in advance!

Excuse my English language.
It not Tsiolkovsky's station. It did not have such station.
The most probable version: it is non-realised model from a soviet move "Road to stars" (1957) by Peter Klushantsev.
I know two models:
1) In the USSR at the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy (Moscow);
2) In the Museum of Cosmonautics (Kaluga).
The first drawing of this station has appeared not later than 1961.
Model in Kaluga:

highcrusade5.th.jpg

highcrusade3.th.jpg


Model in Moscow (this model already is not present):

highcrusade2.th.jpg


It not Tsiolkovsky's model; it is A.Sokolov:

ussr_1986_1204_mi_5591.jpg


The original from the book: A.Leonov, A.Sokolov "Space distances" (1972):

ussr_1986_1204_mi_5591_sokolov.jpg
 

magnus_z

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Aug 15, 2009
Messages
115
Reaction score
23
Michel Van said:
welcom to Secret Projects Forum, Winchell Chung !

we had simelar discution here
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5993.0.html

on book cover i found only this
Early edition of Tsiolkovsky's book entitled "Grezy o Zemle i Nebe"

I read this book.
Station on a cover it not Tsiolkovsky's space station.
Still drawing (1950). It too not Tsiolkovsky's station. It is drawing from the science-fiction story. The station is called as "K.E.Tsiolkovsky":

tm-1950-04-1obl.jpg
 

nyrath

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
magnus_z said:
Excuse my English language.
It not Tsiolkovsky's station. It did not have such station.
The most probable version: it is non-realised model from a soviet move "Road to stars" (1957) by Peter Klushantsev.
I know two models:
1) In the USSR at the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy (Moscow);
2) In the Museum of Cosmonautics (Kaluga).
The first drawing of this station has appeared not later than 1961.
Model in Kaluga...
Thank you for your information!
 

nyrath

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
Triton said:
Welcome Winchell. I am a big fan of your web site Atomic Rockets and Project Rho.
Thank you very much!
This forum does seem to be the best source of accurate aerospace information.
 

Similar threads

Top