The ULTIMATE 1/32 YF-23 from Zactomodels

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This is incredible kit from Chris 'Zactoman' Wilson, an 'Obsessive-compulsive Rivet-counter'. Model still is not for sale, but hope, one day...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=89934&st=0
http://zactomodels.com

Attachments

• YF-23002sm.jpg
    YF-23002sm.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 392
  • YF-23005smA.jpg
    YF-23005smA.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 329
  • PICT0339sm-1.jpg
    PICT0339sm-1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 311
  • PICT0341sm.jpg
    PICT0341sm.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 285
  • YF-23020sm.jpg
    YF-23020sm.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 390
  • YF-23032sm.jpg
    YF-23032sm.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 233
  • YF-23023sm.jpg
    YF-23023sm.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 193
  • PICT0160sm.jpg
    PICT0160sm.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 229
It's looking insanely great. The amount of time and skill that goes into some of these models really blows the mind.

There's some progress on it ... with two small new pictures

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=89934&st=90

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?s=&showtopic=89934&view=findpost&p=1245451

CHeers, Deino

Wow! Thanks for the nice comments!
This project is back on the workbench and I've been making lots of progress lately.
I'll be posting new progress pics on the ARC link listed above (ARC is offline at the moment experiencing some kind of problems...), and occasionally posting pics here when there's more to show...
For now, here a proposal for the box-art:

YF-23picsm.jpg

And a couple of "What-if" schemes just for fun:

Tbirdssm.jpg

YF-23Sufa.jpg

Cheers, Chris

Nice artwork. Although, it would is more realistic to make such what ifs using the production version of the F-23A, not the YF-23.

lantinian said:
Nice artwork. Although, it would is more realistic to make such what ifs using the production version of the F-23A, not the YF-23.
Thank you!
These were concepts that were very quickly done in Photoshop using an existing picture of my partially completed model kit:
YF-23007sm.jpg

I made no real changes to the kit other than borrowing a cockpit from posted pics of someones completed F-18 kit.
The 'paint' is just overlay layers and the markings were borrowed from either pkotos of existing planes or scans of decal sheets. Backgrounds borrowed from the net...
Quick, dirty and fun...

What differences between the YF-23 and the F-23A would show in this view?
Just the proposed cannon door?

Cheers,

Chris

Well, as Matej pointed out....to much to be worth changing. I hope you are not discouraged by this and finish you model.
While applying production colours schemes might not be historically accurate, there are others that may be.

Like a full blown NASA colour scheme. I know YF-23 was though to take part of some NASA research but I don't think it involved flying. Anyway that's my idea for a more GURU "what if" colour scheme. ;)

Hi Chris

Great work on the model. And the "what-if" schemes are excellent, keep em comming if you got the time.

Regarding the production F-23A model, no one knows what it would have looked like.
It`s crazy to belive it would resemble a drawing circulating at the time of roll-out.
Had the YF-23 been choosen, it would have evolved from lessons learned during the fly-off, coupled with USAF and their wishes and demands.
Although it`s fun to speculate, when it comes to making models of existing fighters, it would have as much value as the Starship Enterprise.

Jon

Chris,

You should do one of these schemes as a Top Gun or Red Flag one based on the camo's for the Super Flankers. Almost like the Japanese 3-tone tan/brown/green one.

Mark H.

Hi Chris

Great work on the model. And the "what-if" schemes are excellent, keep em comming if you got the time.

Regarding the production F-23A model, no one knows what it would have looked like.
It`s crazy to belive it would resemble a drawing circulating at the time of roll-out.
Had the YF-23 been choosen, it would have evolved from lessons learned during the fly-off, coupled with USAF and their wishes and demands.
Although it`s fun to speculate, when it comes to making models of existing fighters, it would have as much value as the Starship Enterprise.

Jon

You are mistaken here. There are blueprints and documents out there that show in great detail how the F-23A would have looked like. Similar to the YF-22 to F-22 there would have been plenty of revisions to improve certain aspects of the design as well as general cleaning up.

That link shows some great renderings based upon the declassified blueprints.

You are mistaken here. There are blueprints and documents out there that show in great detail how the F-23A would have looked like. Similar to the YF-22 to F-22 there would have been plenty of revisions to improve certain aspects of the design as well as general cleaning up.
Have you seen them back in 2008, time when the posting was made? I doubt that.

Based on - yes. Have many mistakes in geometry, though.

Have you seen them back in 2008, time when the posting was made? I doubt that.

Based on - yes. Have many mistakes in geometry, though.
You have me there. I did not notice that particular post is from back then! My apologies.

However I would like to ask you why you state the renderings have geomectric errors? From everything I've seen online & in Paul Metz's book they follow all that is written and shown rather well.