The truly remarkable artwork of Gildas

Gildasd

Space fantasist
Reaction score
Website
scifimeanderings.blogspot.com
This was for an article for "Hush Kit" that never go published...
So rather then letting it rot on my hard drive, here it is:

Attachments

• 003-TurbospiteS.jpg
    003-TurbospiteS.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 1,994
Considering the protracted introduction of the Westland Wyvern, any Supermarine engineer still living will take one look at this concept and say "Thank God we never tried!" But we can dream, and the artwork is lovely! :) Thank you.

Coolest looking airplane that I've seen in a long while ;D

With the Spitfire wing, it seems a little strange to call it a Spiteful ???

(Do you have a larger picture, like most drawings on Hushkit?)

I can post bigger (if that's allowed)...

A lot of the aero comes from latter Russian tech and much latter analysis of the Spit's wing.
I don't like the Wyvern, it's an accountant's plane, not a pilots or an engineer's plane - if you get what I mean.

The comment to the left of the forward fuselage, does it say "mod thrust vectoring for ramming"?

Beautiful drawing, I envy your skill.

Regards.

JohnR said:
The comment to the left of the forward fuselage, does it say "mod thrust vectoring for ramming"?
I thought it is "Mild thrust vectoring for turning".
.-.-.-.-.-.
secretproject seems to have a 1750KB limit for an individual attachments. At least GIF, JPG and PNG images supported. - or you can link images if you have a place to host them elsewhere.

Gildasd said:
I don't like the Wyvern, it's an accountant's plane, not a pilots or an engineer's plane - if you get what I mean.

It doesn't have the grace of the Spitfire, that's for certain. It's one of those airplanes which puts one in mind of that cruel statement, "A face only a mother could love". There are, to be sure, airplanes which are so ugly and ungainly they carry a certain beauty all their own (the radial-engined variants of the Whitley bomber, for example), but the Wyvern is not one of them. It holds a certain fascination for some, but if I were flying conventional airstrikes off a carrier I'd rather have a Skyraider. At least that has the minor glory of a handful of air-to-air kills to its credit (albeit mostly careless overshoots that were brought down by lucky bursts from targets they'd failed to kill), in addition to its considerable service in the air-to-ground role, and a considerably heavier and more varied warload. The Wyvern saw brief use off Suez, but that's about all.

I think there is a place for turboprop planes on carriers as a general long loiter, heavy load, low cost per hour platform:
- Patroling.
- Permisive CAS.
- SAR both military and civilian.
- Light electronics warfare.
- "Shit hits fan" resupplying of ground troups.
- Foward air control.
- Terrain mapping (military but also in disaster response).
Etc

Would make the fast haulers, so beloved by the jocks, more effective.

Here's a thought: Check out the "Supermarine 391" sort of an enlarged Seafang. Turboprop this, and you have a Supermarine Wyvern.

Your Spitefully looks FAST just standing still.
It will probably need a larger vertical fin to maintain yaw stability.

Excellent concept and illustration.

It would be interesting to hear this aircraft fly over at both low- and high-power settings. Those blades combined with the engine might really "sing".

I've always loved the sound of the Hawker Sea Fury..this might be even better.

Cheers from Texas.

To loosen up the hand, I've started to doodle some interwar projects before I get serious.
These are harder than expected due to the mix of modern and antique lines:
As an example, the "Progetto Caccia Bellomo" from this http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2984.msg24069.html#msg24069
Mixing the rounded wings, thick aerofoil, upright screen with the much more modern fuselage and wingtips is challenging.
You really get a feel for this being a transition period.

Attachments

• Progetto Caccia Bellomo.jpg
    Progetto Caccia Bellomo.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 871
Splendid concept and artwork. Looking forward to more!

Just to repeat something that's been already said: why call it a "turboprop Spiteful" when it's really only a turboprop Spitfire?

Skyblazer said:
Splendid concept and artwork. Looking forward to more!

Just to repeat something that's been already said: why call it a "turboprop Spiteful" when it's really only a turboprop Spitfire?
Better canopy, better wing, much better landing gear.
And to be bit heretic, I think it looks better.

I think you are missing the point: the Spiteful is quite different to the Spitfire particularly in the wing. Your design has a Spitfire wing, not a Spiteful wing.

Supermarine_Spiteful.svg

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I think you are missing the point: the Spiteful is quite different to the Spitfire particularly in the wing. Your design has a Spitfire wing, not a Spiteful wing.
Yes and no :)
I took the elliptical outline and moved the CG back and it's definitely got inward folding gear. So it's a mix that I did not explain fully on my doodle.
Trying to use the best points of each...

There are a lot of remarks about this and that, but not really on the most controversial point: the Mosquito inspired construction...

More on the "Progetto Caccia Bellomo"...
Messed up the underside, needs to be more bulbous to stick to the tiny picture I'm using...

Attachments

• Progetto Caccia Bellomo02.jpg
    Progetto Caccia Bellomo02.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 774
Trying to understand the engine lay out.
I have no idea where the prop shafts are, in the pilots abdomen apparently...

Attachments

• Progetto Caccia Bellomo03.jpg
    Progetto Caccia Bellomo03.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 721
Beautiful drawings, I really envy the talent of being able to draw free hand!

I suppose the prop shaft would operate much like on the P-39, but, if I may suggest a little change, looking at the 3 view of the progetto caccia Bellomo I think the cockpit should be moved slightly towards the rear in your rendition.

Looking forward to the final result and thanks for sharing ;)

Regards.

CiTrus90 said:
Beautiful drawings, I really envy the talent of being able to draw free hand!
I suppose the prop shaft would operate much like on the P-39, but, if I may suggest a little change, looking at the 3 view of the progetto caccia Bellomo I think the cockpit should be moved slightly towards the rear in your rendition.
Regards.
Yeah, the cockpit is bit off...Placing it is tough because the engines are quite close.
Working on rear power pack placement.

Attachments

• Progetto Caccia Bellomo04.jpg
    Progetto Caccia Bellomo04.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 651
May I suggest a rebadging of this topic, since apparently you've elected to present, not just your "Spiteful" but also other examples of your truly remarkable artwork? Something like "The artwork of Gildasd" or something in the same flair for instance.

Skyblazer said:
May I suggest a rebadging of this topic, since apparently you've elected to present, not just your "Spiteful" but also other examples of your truly remarkable artwork? Something like "The artwork of Gildasd" or something in the same flair for instance.
I'll rename it "The truly remarkable artwork of Gildas".
Nothing too boisterous.

I will be starting on the Spitefully again, but right now I'm "retraining" my hand.

On the Cacia Bellomo, I'm looking for the rough size of the air frame/engine (half a Fiat a6) to make drafting easier.

So the Fiat AS6 that I've been using so far are not correct.
It must use the Isotta Fraschini L.180 to correspond to the fuselage shape...
There is no visual information about this engine, I only know that it is similar to the Isotta-Fraschini Asso 1000 and the Asso 750.
I can't find pictures of these engines with a typical compressor layout.
The only ones I've found are for the naval variant, and that isn't supposed to leave sea level...
Exploring the Macchi M67 route for elements.
http://www.enginehistory.org/Museums/IAFM/2200IR750R.jpg

I'm leaving this one as is...
Due to not having drawn for a long time, this is full of shading and hand technique errors, so better start something else!

Attachments

• Progetto Caccia Bellomo07s.jpg
    Progetto Caccia Bellomo07s.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Progetto Caccia Bellomo07s2.jpg
    Progetto Caccia Bellomo07s2.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Progetto Caccia Bellomo07s3.jpg
    Progetto Caccia Bellomo07s3.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 65
So, my friend, is the Progetto Caccia Bellomo are real airplane? Either way, you do excellent work. Complimenti!