Curtiss XP-42.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 134
This will hopefully slow you guys down:

Attachments

• mystery.png
    mystery.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 185
New Zealand then ?? :)
Waitomo (ex-Bennett) PL-11 Airtruk ZK-CKE ?

Attachments

• waitomo_PL-11_airtruck_rcuniverse-musterpilot_s.jpg
    waitomo_PL-11_airtruck_rcuniverse-musterpilot_s.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 204
What about this one?
(Just one thing was cropped, but it's a quite important one.)

Attachments

• q47.jpg
    q47.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 203
c460 said:
New Zealand then ??

Hint was taken…

c460 said:

That’s right, though it was called the Airtruck in its original Kiwi form. Though designed by Italian immigrant to Australia Luigi Pellarini (who chose to migrate to Australia because he thought such a large country would need what he always wanted to build: a flying car) and later evolved and built in Australia as the PL-12 Airtruk (no ‘c’ in the name). The aircraft that garnered great fame in the Mad Max movie but should have been better known as the safest crop duster in the world. The later because of its unique design in having the tail below the pilot’s head level so significantly reducing the chance of wire strikes.

Here's a quick one for ye:

Attachments

• quiz_throw.jpg
    quiz_throw.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 154
Ha! That's a Continental RPV RPVT Su-25 scale target used by the U.S. Army.

Drats! ;D

To be more precise, the Su-25 representative variant of the MQM-143 RPVT.

Exactly. Thanks for adding that precision.

Here is another one for the few who are not away on holiday and stuck at home because of the heat wave!

Attachments

• SPquiz_20130720.jpg
    SPquiz_20130720.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 164
Let's see if this one will last more than 24 hours. ;)

Attachments

• quiz56.jpg
    quiz56.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 30
Stargazer2006 said:
Well tried, and a sure lookalike, but no, it's NOT a CT.10...

Oops, I don't even see a difference. :D
Arsenal 5501 ? (but I thought it was the same as CT.10)

c460 said:
Oops, I don't even see a difference. :D
Arsenal 5501 ? (but I thought it was the same as CT.10)

Nope. Wrong country...

Meanwhile, the picture you shared above has something French about it. Perhaps a Boisavia type?

Abraham Gubler said:
c460 said:
New Zealand then ??

Hint was taken…

c460 said:

That’s right, though it was called the Airtruck in its original Kiwi form. Though designed by Italian immigrant to Australia Luigi Pellarini (who chose to migrate to Australia because he thought such a large country would need what he always wanted to build: a flying car) and later evolved and built in Australia as the PL-12 Airtruk (no ‘c’ in the name). The aircraft that garnered great fame in the Mad Max movie but should have been better known as the safest crop duster in the world. The later because of its unique design in having the tail below the pilot’s head level so significantly reducing the chance of wire strikes.

There's at MOTAT here in Auckland. Ugly as hell.

I always liked the look of the airtruk, no concern for aesthetics! I always make a point at looking at it M.O.T.A.T .

Stargazer2006 said:
No, not Soviet... ::)

Among V-1 lookalikes, the US-made Globe KD5G target drone has some similarity with the picture you posted:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstreckfus/3021742272/
But some details do not fit well, notably the wing chord and the rear engine strut.

c460 said:
Stargazer2006 said:
No, not Soviet... ::)

Among V-1 lookalikes, the US-made Globe KD5G target drone has some similarity with the picture you posted:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstreckfus/3021742272/
But some details do not fit well, notably the wing chord and the rear engine strut.

Ha! Should I accept your answer? Probably not. But I will... It's NOT a KD5G but you're close.

The KD2G Firefly was a pulsejet-powered mid-wing, all metal target directly derived from the V-1. This picture shows the KD2G-2, which was powered by a Solar PJ32 8" pulsejet.

The KD5G you suggested was high-wing... and was powered by single Marquardt PJ46 pulsejet... But since it was initially proposed as "KD2G-3" I can accept your answer on the grounds that it WAS, in a way, a KD2G... (I'm MUCH too leniant, I know!).

Short recap of Firefly versions:
  • XKD2G-1: with McDonnell 8" pulsejet and twin vertical tails.
  • KD2G-1: production version with a 28V electrical system.
  • KD2G-2: similar to KD2G-1 but powered by a Solar PJ32 8" pulsejet.
  • (X)KD5G-1: high-wing with twin vertical tails, powered by single Marquardt PJ46 pulsejet; initially proposed as "KD2G-3".
  • KD6G-1: based on KD2G-2 but powered with a McCullough O-100-1 piston engine.
  • KD6G-2: similar to KD6G-1 but with a Kiekhaefer (X)V-105-2 engine; redesignated as (X)MQM-40A.
Other Globe-Temco targets included:
  • KDG-1 SNIPE: mid-wing target powered by a McCulloch 4300 piston engine
  • KDG-2 SNIPE: variant of KDG-1 with a different electrical system
  • KD3G-1 SNIPE: similar to KDG-1 but with 26 kW (35 hp) Kiekhaefer O-45-35 piston engine
  • KD3G-2 SNIPE: similar to KD3G-1 with an AN/ARW-26Y radio control receiver for 28V electrical system
  • KD4G-1 QUAIL: high-wing target for KD-200 (200-knot target) competition powered by a 26 kW (35 hp) Kiekhaefer O-45-35 piston engine

Stargazer2006 said:
I can accept your answer on the grounds that it WAS, in a way, a KD2G... (I'm MUCH too leniant, I know!)
;D
It's the first time I hear about those UAVs, I didn't imagine there were so many different drones made at the time.

This one should be easy enough:

Attachments

• seacontrol.jpg
    seacontrol.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 186
A design for a NATO Patrol Frigate?

That's the original PF-109 design that grew into the USN's FFG-7 Oliver Hazard Perry. It had only a single LAMPS helo, instead of the two that were later adopted (which in turn expanded the hangar, pushed the flight deck back to the transom, and caused the exhaust stacks to be trunked together, creating that distinctive OHP superstructure/parking garage). The 35mm twin gun was expected to do double-duty as a CIWS and a "boat bashing" patrol gun.

While we're waiting, try this one (not exactly a secret project, but...[Evil Grin]):

Attachments

• wepsur.jpg
    wepsur.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 385
Can I revive this interesting thread? The type of airplane in the foreground is probably easy, but exactly which one is it? For bonus points, what's in the background? Picture was slightly retouched and cropped to remove some clues.

10211540035_67ac9584c5_z.jpg

Hello,
I would say that there is a DHC-7 on the foreground, and a Mystère 20 and a Convairliner (or Canadair Cosmopolitan) on the background. However I failed to find exactly what are those colours and where the picture was taken.

c460 said:
Hello,
I would say that there is a DHC-7 on the foreground, and a Mystère 20 and a Convairliner (or Canadair Cosmopolitan) on the background. However I failed to find exactly what are those colours and where the picture was taken.

Close, but no cigar. Not a DHC-7. The Mystere 20 goes by another name where the picture was taken. One of your two guesses for the biggie in the background is correct.