Model 192 ISINGLASS simulator/game

Tuomasn

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I've done some 3D modeling of hypersonic airplane designs over the years, but recently I've also been working on a simple simulator/game of Model 192 ISINGLASS. Though I'm calling it the Advanced Aerodynamic Reconnaissance System here, referring to the ISINGLASS follow-on studies from around 1969-1970. This gives some leeway on the technical aspects of which we still don't know that much, and a bit later timeframe also makes the whole concept slightly less unrealistic ;)

Currently perhaps more of an interactive 3D viewer than a very playable game, it is based on actual physics and available technical data, but not to a very complex simulation level. Think of it as a first order "simulator simulator" that revolves around programming the Model 192 unmanned variant for various mission scenarios. In addition to a tutorial the demo manual includes technical descriptions of equipment, in the spirit of 1990s simulator manuals.

Version 0.1 preview demo is available for testing on-line in your browser at https://tuomasn.github.io/aars/index.html

The demo is designed for desktop browsers, not mobile devices. Due to WebGL limitations it may have sound and z-fighting issues that will not appear in native desktop (Windows/MacOS/Linux) versions if I eventually end up making a full game of this.

As a single person project the graphics intentionally have an untextured retro feel of the mid-1990s flight simulators, while the concept has been somewhat inspired by missions in early 1990s games like Shuttle and Birds of Prey.

Feedback welcome! Also feel free to spread this to any other ISINGLASS/hypersonic aircraft fans out there :)

model192_1.jpg

Awesome job! It will be interesting to have some control over the final product. Fun to watch! Any thought to a rudimentary cockpit?:)

Last edited:
Awesome job! It will be interesting to have some control over the final product. Fun to watch! Any thought to a rudimentary cockpit?:)
Thanks! It would definitely be nice to have a real cockpit view, however modeling it and implementing the dial instruments would be much more work than I have been able or willing to contribute so far. Also we don't have any really accurate drawings of the manned Model 192 variant though we know it differs also externally from the umanned version somewhat, neither do we know anything about the actual cockpit design obviously (though one could probably get an approximation by mixing F-4 with Gemini? :p). So I conveniently got around all of these issues by basing the "gameplay" around the unmanned version so far. But never say never, also I might add more recent aircraft with easier instrument designs at some point...

Why not just make a version for flight simulator?

Why not just make a version for flight simulator?
Oh, but how many flight simulators really support flying at Mach 20 at 60 000 meters? Or ram/scramjets? Or adding an S-225 (ABM-X-3) battery to shoot at you [did you try the SS-16 hunting mission?]. Or R-27 SLBMs to shoot at? ;)

model226_1.jpg

But overall the answer is that I just wanted to make my own game this time, though I have done addons for MS Flight Simulator and Orbiter in the past :)

The Mission Planner showing the likely effect of planned maneuvers on the flight path would be helpful.

The Mission Planner showing the likely effect of planned maneuvers on the flight path would be helpful.

Yes definitely, in general a better "mission planner" is on the list of future improvements. Currently the UI metaphor is kind of like having a separate computer screen and paper map (eg. different coloring).

If anyone ever comes across any information on how mission planning or autopilot programming for 1970s era drones such as BQM-34, AQM-91 or TAGBOARD actually worked, let me know! Though I'm aware that might be a long shot. The current UI is just based on my own thougths.