The Doman D-10 Helicopter

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Doman D-10 was a Project for small two-seat helicopter,powered
by one Allison 250 turbine engine,the D-10B was only built.

Last edited:
Not so... The D-10B (also known as the LZ-5-2) was a civil development of the earlier YH-31 (LZ-5).

Attachments

• Doman D-10B.jpg
    Doman D-10B.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 896
  • Doman LZ-5-2.jpg
    Doman LZ-5-2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 877
  • doman_d-10b.jpg
    doman_d-10b.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 678
The Doman LZ-4 Pelican was taken over by Curtiss-Wright who tested it as the CW-40. When they canceled the program months later, Doman, who still owned the design, developed the LZ-4 into the LZ-5. A page on the LZ-4 will be available in my soon-to-come website on Curtiss.

As an aside to this thread, it was proposed that the Italian firm Aeronautica Sicula fit a Turbomeca Astazou turboshaft to a D-10B but this plan came to nothing in the end. This firm was supposed to build 20 D-10Bs with final assembly at Doman's factory in the US with Ambrosini marketing them. All these plans fell through too.

Hood said:
As an aside to this thread, it was proposed that the Italian firm Aeronautica Sicula fit a Turbomeca Astazou turboshaft to a D-10B but this plan came to nothing in the end. This firm was supposed to build 20 D-10Bs with final assembly at Doman's factory in the US with Ambrosini marketing them. All these plans fell through too.

And let's not forget France's Dassault, who was also supposed to market the type in France at some point...

Doman-Fleet Helicopters, Ltd.(subsidiary of Fleet Manufacturing and Doman Helicopters, Inc.) was to market the LZ-5 helicopter in the Commonwealth. The third LZ-5 went to Fleet as CF-IBG-X/CF-IBG. D-10 was a Doman advertising designation for the LZ-5.

Doman-Fleet also presented an ASW helicopter to the RCN in 1956. But it looks nothing like the LZ-5 (other than the usual Doman rotor head). Does anyone know what the LZ-2A (also called Pelican) looked like?

[Doman LZ-2A: Doman-Frasier hub, 4 wooden blades, 245hp Franklin 210 4-cyl, loaded 3200 lbs, disposable load 1400 lbs, expected to sell for US$20k.]

Doman rotor head image - Flight 17 Mar 1949, pg.304

Attachments

• doman-rotor-head.jpg
    doman-rotor-head.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 490
Apophenia said:
Does anyone know what the LZ-2A (also called Pelican) looked like?

My search for the LZ-2A has been unsuccessful for now, but there have got to be pics of it somewhere...

Does anyone know what "LZ" was supposed to mean? The only explanation I could come up with is"Little Zipster", but that was the name of a helicopter from a different company and I wasn't able to establish a connection yet.

Greetings All!

A recent donation to the Museum had a brochure for the Doman Ambrosini D-10 helicopter. This appears to describe the D-10B due to the Lycoming HIO-720-A1A turbocharged engine and only one was built.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xDoman Ambrosini Model D-10 Brochure - 4.jpg
    xDoman Ambrosini Model D-10 Brochure - 4.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 125
  • xDoman Ambrosini Model D-10 Brochure - 3.jpg
    xDoman Ambrosini Model D-10 Brochure - 3.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 136
  • xDoman Ambrosini Model D-10 Brochure - 2.jpg
    xDoman Ambrosini Model D-10 Brochure - 2.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 378
  • xDoman Ambrosini Model D-10 Brochure - 1.jpg
    xDoman Ambrosini Model D-10 Brochure - 1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 411
MIRAGE 4000 said:
We published this (strange) history in Le Fana de l'aviation two years ago. B) B) B)

Really? You work for Le Fana, then? I nearly did myself! ;)

That must be an issue I missed, because I don't recall reading an article on the Doman/Dassault collaboration. What number was it?

cafe said:
It was issue #497 from april 2011, pages 32-35.

Thanks! Indeed I don't have that particular issue; will be looking for it. ;)

I have that one. If you want, I'll upload scans.

Am I allowed to post the full four pages, or just specific pieces?

Stingray™ said:
I have that one. If you want, I'll upload scans.

Am I allowed to post the full four pages, or just specific pieces?

No full page scans for recent publications, no hi-res, only bits and pieces. No worries, I'll buy it... ;)

Stargazer, you were correct in your assumption of the origins of the letters LZ. I found this pdf (https://vtol.org/files/dmfile/AHS-History-Brief-by-Glid-Doman_Aug20131.pdf) which is a short history of the Doman company written by none other than Glid Doman himself to the American Helicopter Society. In it he states "Somebody called this design (what was later to be known as the LZ-1) the “Little Zipper” which initiated use of the letters LZ in subsequent model numbers." I think that the design that Hesham was referring to was this proposal for the LOH competition eventually won by the OH-6.

LOH design.jpg

it was also used as an advertisement for DuPont Neopren
don't remember where i got the pic from could be from here(i got the pic since november 2016)

Attachments

• neocop.jpg
    neocop.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 48

Attachments

• ٢٠٢٠٠٥٠٤_٢٠٠٥٣٩.jpg
    ٢٠٢٠٠٥٠٤_٢٠٠٥٣٩.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 1.png
    1.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 29
If it was the other way around then I would agree with you Hesham, but the fact the LOH competition was two years later than when the D-10 was originally designed does not dismiss the possibility.

Dear Victor,

the Doman only help the Kaiser in the design,maybe based on D-10,but it was not it,and if Doman had
his own design,why he shared with this company,also the number "161" was a Kaiser's drawing number
or Model number.