The BIS - British Exploration of Space

Reaction score
1685710404604.png I just came here to pose a question: "What would have happened if the Ministry of Supply had opted for the Megaroc Project, instead of nuclear arms, taking a more neutral stance in the Cold War.?"

Given the limited alterations to the base V-2 design, my reckoning is that the Megaroc booster would have been ready mid 1947- early 1948 (taking into account the required testing of the V2 motor under longer durations of flight than originally intended). However I believe there would have been some delay regarding the capsule itself and the recruiting and training of pilots. Therefore I think a manned flight would have been ready from late '49 to early 1950.

How do you think it might have continued from there? 1685710308636.png

After seeing newspaper photos of first V2 debris, IIRC, BIS very promptly updated their pre-war design for solid-fuelled Lunar mission to liquid fuelled...
Sky's the limit...

What would have happened if the Ministry of Supply had opted for the Megaroc Project, instead of nuclear arms, taking a more neutral stance in the Cold War?
It would have been disbanded with its duties passed to other ministries, or at the very least it’s senior management being quietly eased out and replaced. Nuclear weapons were quickly becoming one of the criteria for being considered a Great Power, something the UK considered itself to be and many people considered in the post-war years. Launching a man into space by contrast has some novelty value but the immediate question will be what justification is there for the expenditure?

It's hard to see any realistic path that leads to Britain having a manned space programme. Hell, it's difficult enough for one that has them running an independent unmanned programme. Even for that you would probably need to piggyback on military spending which would only make sense as a delivery system for nuclear weapons.

Last edited:
I imagine the Blitz would have caused a dim view of anything V-2 related anyway ....

I imagine the Blitz would have caused a dim view of anything V-2 related anyway ....
I doubt it. IIRC much more damage was done by German bombers, that didn't seem to dent support for Bomber Command during the war or afterwards. Now I suppose you could make the argument that bombers are an established capability versus a new one, but for the scientists and military men who would be making the decisions I think they'd be fairly hard-headed.

I doubt it. IIRC much more damage was done by German bombers, that didn't seem to dent support for Bomber Command during the war or afterwards. Now I suppose you could make the argument that bombers are an established capability versus a new one, but for the scientists and military men who would be making the decisions I think they'd be fairly hard-headed.
What if, via the west being more open with the Soviet Union, post war Russia is no longer seen as big of a threat as it was by Truman? It would likely remove the pressure for nuclear capabilities to match that of America and the USSR. And in terms of aircraft development, the money was definitely there. The Bristol Brabazon for example, set back the taxpayer some £12,000,000 in 1949, which would be worth approximately some 542 million pounds.

Further the X-15 programme, costed approximately 300 million dollars in 1969 currency. In 1949 that would have been in the vicinity of 150 million pounds, or something like it.

I think funds could have been spared for a manned programme, however development would likely have been much slower than those of NASA and the Soviets, especially when Britain would have to put prioritise the rebuilding of the country, however the space programme would likely improve morale an awful lot. I would go with NASA's estimates for a manned Megaroc Launch by 1952, given that the budget would likely be described as a "trickle".

Likely the cause for launch delays, in addition to the highly constrained budget would have been problems with the engine. Running under prolonged burn times, and taking into account the general unreliability of the A4 engine, would likely have caused the Megaroc programme to stall, as solutions would be found.

I still think it would be possible, if the scenario it is based on came to be.

Back
Top Bottom