Taiwan unbuilt projects

Sorry, but I can't see the picture !!

Here are more I collected over the years ... the models are labeled as the project was numbered !

Cheers, Deino ;D

Attachments

• IDF-development - complete history chart.jpg
    IDF-development - complete history chart.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,536
  • IDF-development - model XX-101.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-101.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IDF-development - model XX-201 - 01.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-201 - 01.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,209
  • IDF-development - model XX-201 - 02.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-201 - 02.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,204

Attachments

• IDF-development - model XX-201C - 01.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-201C - 01.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 537
  • IDF-development - model XX-201C-1 - 02.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-201C-1 - 02.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 484
  • IDF-development - model XX-201C-1 - 01.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-201C-1 - 01.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 500
  • IDF-development - model XX-201B - 01.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-201B - 01.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,244

Attachments

• IDF-development - model XX-401 - 02.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-401 - 02.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 624
  • IDF-development - model XX-401 - 01.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-401 - 01.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 742
  • IDF-development - model XX-201G - 01.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-201G - 01.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 473
  • IDF-development - model XX-201C - 02.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-201C - 02.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 573
... and the last in a long row of concepts for the later IDF !!

If this Super-IDF with that spine similar to the F-16D's was a real option I don't know ... and finally a 3-side of the final Ching-Kuo.

For the IDF I can recommend this link:

http://www.taiwanairpower.org/af/idf.html

Cheers, Deino

Attachments

• IDF-development - model XX-406 - 01.jpg
    IDF-development - model XX-406 - 01.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 561
  • IDF-Plus-01.jpg
    IDF-Plus-01.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 827
  • Ching Kuo 3 side.JPG
    Ching Kuo 3 side.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 874
An earlier project was the AIDC AT-3 Tzu Chiang trainer ...

http://www.taiwanairpower.org/af/at3.html

.. with a single seater version only built in two examples !

Sorry, for this type I hove now earlier concepts :(

Attachments

• AT XA-3 0901.jpg
    AT XA-3 0901.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 526
  • AT-3 0860.jpg
    AT-3 0860.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 429
you have posted it. ;D
I rising this thread means there are many unbuilt projects designed by Republic of China not only IDF.

The only other Taiwanese fighter project was the Gloster CXP-1001

Taiwan's lightweight Indigenous Defensive Fighter, the Ching-Kuo, is by no means the first aircraft of its type to be considered by the leaders of Taiwan's Nationalist Party. In 1946, the then Chinese government despatched a delegation to Britain. The team was charged with arranging for the design of a turbojet, a jet fighter, and a jet bomber suitable for manufacture in Nationalist factories. The Gloster company agreed to undertake design of the fighter under the designation CXP-1001

The CXP-1001 was a single-seater designed around the existing Rolls-Royce Nene turbojet. It was 41 ft 10 in long, spanned 38 ft, and weighed 13,900 lbs loaded for a normal mission. Armament was to be four 20-mm cannon arranged around the air intake or a pair of the forthcoming 30-mm weapons. Design maximum speed was 600 mph. Ceiling was 40,000 ft. Range was 1000 miles with two drop tanks and a Meteor-style faired belly tank.

A full-scale mockup and a number of component parts were finished. However, the collapse of the Nationalist army in 1949 and the subsequent flight from the mainland brought the work to an abrupt halt. In any case, Gloster was now deeply involved in the competition for a new RAF all-weather fighter with the Javelin. It had few resources to spare. Taiwan's future defense would rest on American-manufactured airplanes for many years.

Source: http://worldatwar.net/chandelle/v2/v2n3/cxp-1001.html

Attachments

• Gloster XP prototype.gif
    Gloster XP prototype.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Gloster CXP-1001 what-if service.gif
    Gloster CXP-1001 what-if service.gif
    46.8 KB · Views: 445
rousseau said:
you have posted it. ;D
I rising this thread means there are many unbuilt projects designed by Republic of China not only IDF.

I completely agree with You especially I was impressed about how many concepts were under consideration and that they were published in this sheet.

Would be nice to get a development history and their respective concepts for all fighters like that.

Cheers, Deino :D

Guys

As Rousseau said, there another chinese projects.

I remember at the begining of the 80's I saw a Taiwan transport or hidroplane project in a JP4 Italian aviation magazine. But i can´t recall the number of the project. I just know it was from AIDC. Anybody here know something about it?

Raravia

Do you mean XC-2 ? The AIDC xc-2 looks like C-2 carrier transport aeroplane. If you mean that I can post image.

Yes, that´s it, the XC-2....i would love to see an image of this cargo aircraft.

Raravia

Deino said:
An earlier project was the AIDC AT-3 Tzu Chiang trainer ...

http://www.taiwanairpower.org/af/at3.html

.. with a single seater version only built in two examples !

Sorry, for this type I hove now earlier concepts :(

The AT-3 was developed with considerable help from Northrop as a comparison with Northrop's VTX entry would suggest. While at Northrop, I worked with some of the folk who'd gone over as industry assist and they had some interesting stories to tell.

Finally after I received my IDF-booklet I post as promised the pictures of the development-projects.

Quite interesting and following the time-line some posts above they are at first F-104-base, later on F-5-based iparallel to some completely new ones ... finally to the IDF

Sadly I can't read the text, but the pictures alone are worth that book ! ;)

More later...
Cheers, Deino

Attachments

• IDF-development 7. FX-105A 2x TFE-1042.jpg
    IDF-development 7. FX-105A 2x TFE-1042.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 596
  • IDF-development 6. FX-104 + 2x TFE-1042.jpg
    IDF-development 6. FX-104 + 2x TFE-1042.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 576
  • IDF-development 5. FX-105 + J-79 ... 2x TFE-1042.jpg
    IDF-development 5. FX-105 + J-79 ... 2x TFE-1042.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 488
  • IDF-development 4. FX-101 + J-79.jpg
    IDF-development 4. FX-101 + J-79.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 499
  • IDF-development 3. F-104M6 +2x TFE-1042.jpg
    IDF-development 3. F-104M6 +2x TFE-1042.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 455
  • IDF-development 2. F-104M4 + J-79.jpg
    IDF-development 2. F-104M4 + J-79.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 481
  • IDF-development 1. X-27 Lancer.jpg
    IDF-development 1. X-27 Lancer.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 589
Thanks for the cool info!

Is there any dimensional info for any of the projects? Particularly interested in the XX401 variant...

Cheers

O.K.

Overkiller said:
Thanks for the cool info!

Is there any dimensional info for any of the projects? Particularly interested in the XX401 variant...

Cheers

O.K.

Sadly not, but I think by comparing with the size of an AIM-7 and -9 it should be possible to estimate the dimensions.

TAIPEI - TAIWAN has completed the design of its own third-generation fighter jet with Russian expertise, to make up for a scuppered US purchase deal, a newspaper report said on Friday.

The fighter, developed by Taiwan's government-owned Aerospace Industrial Development Corporation (AIDC), is based on the F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter (JSF) being developed for the US Air Force, the China Times said.

Designed by Lockheed Martin of the US, the F-35 carries a price tag of more than US$90 million (S$133 million), it said.

Taiwan began developing the jet after a deal to buy F-16 C/D fighters ran aground in 2007 as Washington disapproved of the pro-independence policies of the Democratic Progressive Party which was then in power, it said.

That deal, worth at least NT$100 billion (S$4.8 billion), would have been Washington's biggest arms sale to the island since 2001.

The newspaper said the design for the fighter, with double engines and short take-off ability, was completed after AIDC sent staff to Russia. It did not specify which Russian agency or company was involved.

China has threatened to invade Taiwan should it declare formal independence, prompting the island to acquire more advanced weaponry.

The two sides have been rivals since splitting in 1949 after a civil war but ties have improved dramatically since the Beijing-friendly Kuomintang party came to power last year. -- AFP

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_392521.html

That article , is that about the so called Advanced Defense Fighter ? Are there any artist impressions of it anywhere by any chance ? Thanks. :)

I see Taiwan is makng noises about a new fighter to follow on from the Ching Kuo.
Citing a newly released quadrennial defense review, the reports said the Air
Force will develop a new generation of warplanes with advanced features such as
stealth, long-range flight and aerial refueling abilities, and the capability of
launching missiles against land targets or ships...
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aipl/201303130039.aspx

Looking at when the Ching Kuo was put into service, and the fact that it isn't easy for Taiwan to secure modern foreign fighters to counter Chinas great strides recently, the timing sounds about right...

Any ideas or conceptual drawings out there?

Alert5.com said:
AIDC shows off advanced jet trainer concepts
Taiwan’s Aerospace Industrial Development Corp (AIDC) unveiled two advance jet trainer concepts to the public at the 2015 Taipei Aerospace and Defense Technology Exhibition on Aug. 13th. The AT-3MAX is an upgraded variant of the AT-3 in service with RoCAF and the XAT-5 is essentially based on the F-CK1 fighter. Although a scale model of the M346 was situated next to the two models, AIDC chairman Anson Liao said even if the foreign aircraft is selected by the air force, production of the jet will still have to be done locally.
Video:
https://youtu.be/i_AJiSBapsc
Source:
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2015/08/14/2003625281

Old picture found on a taiwanese forum... probably from a similar book to the Deino's one. No more info sadly... But I would love to have it even if I don't read chinese!

Attachments

• book69.jpg
    book69.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 342
Old picture found on a taiwanese forum... probably from a similar book to the Deino's one. No more info sadly... But I would love to have it even if I don't read chinese!

What is this,a book ?.

More... Mid-Late '90s Series. Apparently Vol. 4 doesn't exist.

Attachments

• BOOKvbg018.jpg
    BOOKvbg018.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 257
  • BOOKvbg019.jpg
    BOOKvbg019.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 239
  • BOOKvbg015.jpg
    BOOKvbg015.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 252
The early design of XC-2 Transport Aircraft.

You will find it has many differences from the final design.

XC-2 O.jpg

The biggest aerodynamic difference lies in the vertical tail and the horizontal tail.

They originally had an inverted T-shaped layout, the horizontal tail was flush with the wing, and the vertical tail was not swept back. But we can see that the final XC-2 has a swept vertical tail and a vertical tail installed in the middle.

The reason for this change is the aerodynamic interference problem.

After the early scheme was put forward, the model was sent to the United States for wind tunnel test, and soon bad news came back: the airflow of the main wing would seriously interfere with the tail wing, resulting in instability and uncontrollable aircraft, so they raised the position of the horizontal tail wing to avoid this situation.

Some interesting facts: the prototype of this aircraft originally used the front landing gear of F-86 fighter, but during the first taxiing, the ill-kept landing gear spare parts from F-86 broke, so they finally switched to the front landing gear of HU-16.

Back
Top Bottom