• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

T-X - A Future USAF Trainer

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Goshawk in Navy and Redhawk in Airforce.

Is there any possibility that Navy would show interest about the Redhawk?
Possibility, certainly. Cost of adapting it for carrier is a big unknown though. Might be an Agressor candidate first, which would not require carrier modifications.

Desertfox

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Boeing (McD) already has experience in converting a trainer for carrier ops, they should be quite capable of doing the same to the T-7A. What I'm more interested in seeing is if Boeing comes out with a single seat light fighter/attack version ala Hawk 200/F-5. There's plenty of F-5s, Mig-21, and early model F-16s out there needing replacing.

TomS

Reaction score
Boeing (McD) already has experience in converting a trainer for carrier ops, they should be quite capable of doing the same to the T-7A. What I'm more interested in seeing is if Boeing comes out with a single seat light fighter/attack version ala Hawk 200/F-5. There's plenty of F-5s, Mig-21, and early model F-16s out there needing replacing.
That was 30 years ago, and the process wasn't exactly painless.

Boeing is certainly thinking about light attack, but I suspect they will be reluctant to throw money at it until the T-7 is well along. Maybe if there is a serious USAF light fighter program, but the USAF isn't going to have the money either, thanks to B-21, F-35, and NGAD (plus hypersonics, GBSD, etc.)

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
While a light fighter version (similar to the rival FA-50) is possible (even likely) I think the potential market size can be exaggerated.
We’ve not exactly seen a lot of FA-50s sold and my understanding is that the light fighter version of the Aermachi M-346 is on the back burner.
And there really aren’t that many F-5 or MIG-21 operators out there anymore and many of those that are (China and export customers for Chinese MIG-21 variants, Iran etc.) don’t appear likely future users.
The F-16 successes has largely killed the Western lightweight fighter with even the Gripen moving away from its lightweight roots to becoming a bigger heavier aircraft (Gripen E).
A fighter version of a lllo “Redhawk” should be more successful than someof these predecessors l

Moose

Reaction score
The Navy was involved in some of the preliminary work that went into setting T-X requirements, and is certainly paying attention to how things are going. I wouldn't expect a program of record right soon, but I'm kinda hoping the team puts out a concept image or two of a navalized T-7 just to get the juices flowing.

AeroFranz

Reaction score
That was 30 years ago, and the process wasn't exactly painless.
My thoughts exactly. Unless Navy requirements were factored in from the beginning, fuggedaboutit. That's not to say i wouldn't want to see a Navy RedHawk, it's just that history shows 'marinization' of an aircraft is hard under the best of circumstances.

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
A clearer view to AIDC AT-5.

Attachments