Swarming Aerial Drones

swarms of 1 shot wonders are premejac and then ur spent...

Minus returnable reloadable, ur done before u start...dumb

UAE swarm drone Hunter 2-S(warm) these would absolutely decimate enemy troops and tanks and with a range of 50km they could be used far away from the frontline.

This seems to be the only real Swarm drone within the last few posts. This would be almost impossible to intercept with missiles even in Ukraine. Imagine Ukrainian AD attempting to shoot down 64 of these at night.

1681166164788.jpeg

949CF41B-2B5A-4F5C-89CA-AC9F707B6A18.jpeg

1D2003E6-C1C1-4FDE-8236-91444826B1AE.jpeg

Swarming drones launched from UGVs could be very useful

The first contains 30 Hunter-SP loitering munitions with 5km range and the second picture contains a pair Hunter 2-S drones I talked about above.

FC366BCD-B572-4CAC-9E87-C5FAD3657636.jpeg

06A1D6AA-0729-453D-BBC0-6CF77B0E31CF.jpeg

^Drones flying in formation?
Yes. Program the animation then each drone is a pixel. Would be interesting to know if they're just flying completely independent paths or if they are getting cues from those around them (like a swarm of birds).

Yes. Program the animation then each drone is a pixel. Would be interesting to know if they're just flying completely independent paths or if they are getting cues from those around them (like a swarm of birds).
Normally in animation or robotics an object is programmed by describing the position of one joint relative to the proceeding joint as a series of translations and rotations in matrix format, going say shoulder to end effector for a robotic arms or nose to tail for an general object. The final product is the forward kinematic, which is then differentiated to form a Jacobian velocity matrix (J). E.g. For a simple 6 degree of freedom arm:

V = J.Thetadot and J^(-1).V = Thetadot

where

V = Velocity vector (x, y, z, roll, pitch, yaw)
J = (6x6) Jacobian velocity matrix
J^(-1) = Inverse of J
Thetadot = (6x1) Joint rotational velocity vector (rotational speed of every joint)

I imagine that the process is similar for dragon but with a lot more joints and the movement of each joint now has roll-pitch-yaw rotation and speed, as opposed to just rotation. The maths is likely horrible but very possible. Really it'll be more like robotics than screen animation, because it's a 3D object being animated in real life.

Drones flying above an enemy position demonstrate in concept surveillance (green), electronic warfare (blue), and attack (orange) capabilities during a human-machine team exercise at Puckapunyal Military Area.

20230609adf8547344_0125.jpg.iif14sHWMWdnSa1jwCUA.xKeVYxXaGq.jpg

20230609adf8547344_0119.jpg.iifCxcHWMWdnSa1jwCUA.Qxd9gjaxQd.jpg

20230609adf8547344_0105.jpg.iifn9cHWMWdnSa1jwCUA.8EP2-7swQR.jpg

Folks, I have just done a major clean up of this thread and removed 2/3 of it. Most have been moved to other threads with only a couple of posts deleted.

As the the title states, this particular topic is dedicated to Swarming Aerial Drones. It is quite simple: Swarming drones are those designed to operate in a swarm. That is, those operating as a group in a coordinated fashion. This should not therefore include videos/posts etc talking about single FPV drones or otherwise unless there is some obvious connection with swarming - for example if someone posts something just showing the test of such a drone but it also says that this is designed to be used as part of a swarm then that is ok. It also is not the place to post videos from the Ukraine war such as that shown above unless it shows a swarm in use. Leniency on this last point has been shown but it is becoming tiresome with some members constantly posting Ukraine war tweets/videos etc. Future violations will result in warnings or more.

A couple of posts? Hum... Well I guess those were mines, since you deleted both according to my notifications list..

Explaining that drones don't have the performances to employ an effective interception geometry against helicopters and jets and that then drone swarms with an aerial denial mission would have to field the skies before any target fly through (I explicitly mentioned 3d mine field), is that something to be moderated, in that case?!
Isn't analysis of assumptions one of the main core of our discussions?

I fail to understand.

View: https://twitter.com/FlightGlobal/status/1702714185363100141?s=20

Jackal will be capable of performing collaborative and swarming operations, and the company will also look to add manned-unmanned teaming capabilities.

Last edited:
Uhhh, drone AI hallucinates, adopts the callsign of "Nomad" and tries to defect for high grade 3-in-1 oil and witness protection relocation to a job doing aerial video covering the Super Bowl. The AI is later terminated after repeated spurious location coordinate requests for a "John Connor".