Super Clippers for Pan Am (1938)

From Ailes 1937,

a strange Info to a Project,with weight 500 ton and 1000 passenger ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    302.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k6560485j_10.jpeg
    Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k6560485j_10.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
Hesham,

This was a bout of speculative megalomania by Sikorsky - maybe he was a little high on Champagne at a party.

Mega-big civil projects come around on a +/- 10-year cycle. Must be related to sunspot activity or something

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr

The advent of the 1000 passenger airliner is bound to happen since 1930 at least...

In my files,until remember the source,

Consolidated submitted a six engined flying boat Proposal,could
be accommodated 180 passenger,never mentioned in the book;
Convair Advanced Designs ?,what was that ?.

Last edited:
Also in my files,until remember the source,

the Consolidated submitted anther flying boat Project,could
accommodate 76 passenger,powered by four engines,again
it was never mentioned in the book ; Convair Advanced Designs.

Now things get really interesting. To my knowledge, no hints of this third Consolidated concept for the 100-pax transoceanic liner RFP by PanAm ever surfaced. Back then seems was classified by the military (the brochure cover has a "declasified" stamp, while the brochure of the other two has none of this). Don't know it is was classified because it was shelved for later or the reverse. Anyway, it marks a turn from the traditional Consolidated boatplane paradigm, in favour of a seaplane with floats. Engines are Allison 3420s. Relevant dimensions can be inferred from the 3-view. This come from SDAM, too. Drawings are from January 1938.
Well, since Skybolt hasn't been on here since 30 Aug 2020 I can't expect a response from him... but perhaps the classified stamp can be explained by the hints I see in the engine layout of the future B-36.

Perhaps it was more a design for the military than the civilian sector, and Consolidated (Convair by 1943) took the engine layout and maybe other design elements for their "intercontinental bomber" proposal to fill the 11 April 1941 USAAF specification.

From Interavia 1954,

a six-engined Dougals proposal,it was a landplane
Hesham, could you please post the tittle and author of the article. It would be interesting to have more information about a design which could be related to the mistery Douglas 100 ton bomber. Probably a design lineage emanated from the DC4E

My dear Antonio,

I think that,the opposite is the right,and this aircraft would be the basis for
DC-4 and 100 Ton Bomber,but unfortunately a very small Info in the article !.

Attachments

• 15.png
    15.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 16.png
    16.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 38
From this book.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26