How does marketing for jet fighters work anyways. I have historically thought that avoiding hit pieces is the main thing in PR, but there is perhaps more to this.

Su-57
T-14 Armata
Lider
So you are just ignoring whole load of opposite examples and nitpicking few that are fitting your narrative, and then you imagine "funding problems" to push that narrative further. Yeah, pointless. Let's not clutter this thread further.

No, I'm pointing specifically to high-end, high-unit cost programmes where we've seen repeated failures to follow through on funding. My argument actually depends on money being available for lower price-point equipment, the very thing you're arguing disproves it.

There must be some weight associated with it, looking on the main tire contact to the ground, real or a mockup?

Good point, though tyre pressure would also be relevant.

I'm so glad they left the tarp unwrapped just enough to settle the intake position, they must have known thousands of nerds like us were going to fret all weekend until we found out!
It might also be that those are added shapes (folded sheet metal attached to the real fuselage) to conceal the real configuration from the so said army of spying nerds that by the time the plane is unveiled, would have discussed it to boredom.

Britain's destroyer is still rent free in their heads. https://m.vz.ru/news/2021/7/17/1109463.html

The first "target" of the new Russian aircraft, which Rostec will present at the MAKS-2021 air show, was a foreign warship, similar to the British destroyer Defender ("Type 45").

On the corporation's Facebook page, an image of a part of the fuselage of a new aircraft flying over the sea has been published . Under the fuselage of the fighter there is a new type of optical radar station, in the mirror panels of which a foreign warship is reflected, with its outlines reminiscent of the British Navy destroyers "Type 45". "See you (" See you ")" - says the caption in the picture.

"The new image contains a detail that, obviously, is an optical-electronic sighting system built into the aircraft, such equipment is used to guide aircraft weapons in order to strike at ground and sea targets," RIA Novosti reports citing a source in the military-industrial complex.

In May 2021, the media reported on the development of a single-engine fighter in Russia. The VZGLYAD newspaper was trying to figure out why at one time the Air Force of our country abandoned such machines, and where the idea arose to revive their production.

On June 23, the Black Sea Fleet, together with the Russian FSB Border Service, stopped the violation of the Russian state border by a British destroyer, while warning shots and bombing had to be fired. The Russian Defense Ministry accused the command of the British destroyer of dangerous actions and gross violation of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and demanded an investigation into the actions of the ship's crew.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov, commenting on the incident with the British destroyer Defender off the coast of Crimea, said that if colleagues do not understand what Russia's borders are, then “we can bomb”. Meanwhile, the British ambassador was summoned to the Foreign Office for a tough demarche.

Meanwhile, earlier the British authorities made a statement that the destroyer of the Royal Navy allegedly did not enter Russian territorial waters and was not fired upon . The Russian Foreign Ministry accused the British Ministry of Defense of deliberate lies.

Journo should be fired for mixing up the difference between calling something radar and EO.

One thing that I have been thinking about the new fighter is that, will it come with a V/STOL variant like the F-35B or will the V/STOL fighter still be designed by Yakovlev? Or will the new Sukhoi fighter design be shared with both OKB.

One thing that I have been thinking about the new fighter is that, will it come with a V/STOL variant like the F-35B or will the V/STOL fighter still be designed by Yakovlev? Or will the new Sukhoi fighter design be shared with both OKB.

I don't see any reason for there to be a STOVL variant of this. It looks like it's designed mainly for the foreign market, not Russia, and I'm not sure there are a lot of small air forces clamoring for STOVL. Even if it was designed for Russia, they don't have much to operate it from. I don't think China would buy it, because I think they would want the work for their own companies. I don't see India buying it, so I would have to wonder where the market for it is? Hell, even the USMC is giving up many of it's planned B models and going to C's with the F-35 program.

kinda doubt on this as well considering there is healthy 20+ years in between R-79-300 and LTS. I'm kinda wonder if there is still experience left in building engine for VTOL's.

View attachment 660763
The Landing gear, looks very real to me, the doors, not so much, still interesting to see.
There’s no wheel brakes, because there’s no brake actuators backplate /torque pin earthed back to the main leg or hydraulic lines. This isn’t a flyer.

Last edited:

kinda doubt on this as well considering there is healthy 20+ years in between R-79-300 and LTS. I'm kinda wonder if there is still experience left in building engine for VTOL's.

So no future for V/STOL, it is kind of sad in a way for Yakovlev since I liked the Yak-36 and Yak-141.

When the T-50 was introduced in the Maks 2009 airshow, when did they start to display the avionics? Was it in the Maks 2011 airshow? To be honest I am looking more forward to the Su-70's air to ground, air to air missiles options and avionics than I am of something that will just be displayed appearance wise.

My Maks 2021 airshow wish list which is probably setting the expectations too high for this airshow anyways but for fun.

1. Display the GZUR that was launched by the Tu-160.

2. Display the new avionics, engine and weapons specs for project Megapolis Su-57.

3. The new anti-ship missile being developed by KTRV https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4336584.html

4. The Gremlin missile that will be test fired in 2023 but this more than likely coordinate's with point 3 because KTRV is working on it. Dimensions are smaller than kinzhal to be carried by Su-35, Su-57, etc which is all the info given.

5. RTI will be present there September 2019 they stated the photonic radar would be present on a multifunctional aircraft or possibility of VEGA displaying it since they have displayed the antennas for it before in 2020.

6. Su-57 controls the Su-70 and its probably going to be a new shit response if the Sukhoi LTS can do it as well just for confirmation.

7. Air to air weapons the Su-70 test fired, avionics display, any new air to ground weapons.

8. Engine corporation displaying model of izdelie 30 with specs, 3 stream or detonation engine models.

9. Probably the most complex air to ground or ground to ground missile in existence project created which is the Klevok-D2. Tula has made the patent performance characteristics already known. Stated that Army, Navy and Air Force will make use of these missiles from source. This is the least likely to happen than the rest of the list.

10. Obviously displaying the Sukhoi LTS with additional information like engines, avionics and weapons, internal weapon's bay size would be a plus.

11. Small mock up models(like what was shown of the Su-70 in maks 2019) for PAK-DA, mig-41 or mig's 5th gen design.

12. KB arsenal's TEM proposal, spacecraft eagle, the company that worked on the Buran working with a different spacecraft, parachute system image demonstrations of return engines and spacecrafts, Venus drone, 3000 second stage burn time engines along with Amur rockets, etc.

13. the contract orders for the Sukhoi LTS.

Last edited:
Kh-59MK2 (also known as Kh-69) is more of a tactical CM than dedicated AShM tho.

Kh-59MK2, in the original sense (anti-ship version with a radar seeker of the EO guided Kh-59MK, developed principally for China IIRC). The other missile also known as Kh-59MK2 (completely different ALCM with square section fuselage, high-aspect ratio flip-out wings and conformal engine intake) was renamed Kh-69, as you mention.

What I'd consider the closest approach so far (h/t AleDucat on paralay's forum):

c975e67b37b09acfc242a935e21edd8a.jpg

Still not perfect IMHO, I expect the intake will not in fact extend out to the apex of the LERX and the lower nose is going to be far less voluminous (almost flat, blending into a distinct DSI bump near the intake lip). That makes more sense aerodynamically and better matches the desk model, giving the inlet a configuration resembling this earlier drawing:

Some speculation on what it might look like View attachment 660795

And obviously the latest teasers released in the meantime indicate the EO apertures will be facetted.

Last edited:
^ Some details and the model are quite ok, it is a pity that the proportion and sizes are completely wrong. The side of the intake to the tail is a very interesting part of the design, he made the transition between the surfaces very progressive which is not the best for RCS. I am looking forward to see how this is solved in the real model.

Yes, I'm not happy with every aspect (canopy adopts too many details from very early Su-57 prototypes that are no longer current, tails are too big), but it looks like the nearest approach to date in overall configuration. For example it captures the likely LERX planform better than all other attempts so far, although you probably did the best job on the nose and intake profile with this model:

Last edited:
Yes, I'm not happy with every aspect (canopy adopts too many details from very early Su-57 prototypes that are no longer current, tails are too big), but it looks like the nearest approach to date in overall configuration. For example it captures the likely LERX planform better than the other attempts so far, although you probably did a better job on the nose and intake profile with this model:

Thank you! The key difference is that I did it almost 4 years before the Borisov model appeared, when talking about a multirole single engine 5G fighter (with AL-31F or izd. 30 type of engine) was a fairy tale and ventral intake was anathema, that makes it a BIT more difficult than modelling after having seen the pictures of last days you know xD

These newer models are seemingly led astray by the tarpaulin, as a result adopting intake configurations that aren't plausible in a technical sense while ignoring the desk model as a more reliable indicator. In that regard, your unawareness may have been operating as a blessing in disguise :)

I have to admit, the more I think about it, the more I like the approach of this "thing" (and that's not meant in a negative way).

Su-57 and J-20 are hardly for sale, too large and too expensive, F-35 is even more expensive, more complex and above all not accessible to many countries for political reasons ... and everything else like JF-17, Tejas, J-10, Gripen etc. are either too small and therefore often inefficient or, like the good old F-16, slowly out of date.
From that point of view, this "thing" could play the role of a modern F-16, or indeed what the USAF plans with their concept of Multi-Role fighter (MR-X) F-16 Replacement ("4.5 Generation Fighter").

Well some people think it is meant as a MiG-21 for the 21st century

Some very pro-US aviation forums are saying its similar to an F-35 which I don't know if I should laugh or cry about, so I guess that certain forum is not all that bad for not calling it 4th gen but to an aircraft they like to boast about as a 5th gen. The irony kills me and here we are 2 days away.

Last edited:
Some very pro-US aviation forums are saying its similar to an F-35 which I don't know if I should laugh or cry about, so I guess that certain forum is not all that bad for not calling it 4th gen but to an aircraft they like to boast about as a 5th gen. The irony kills me and here we are 2 days away.
MiG-21 in terms of price and affordabilty obviously

MiG-21 in terms of price and affordabilty obviously

Let‘s hope that Sukhoi can keep within budget and it does not spiral out of control like the F-35 did.

I have to admit, the more I think about it, the more I like the approach of this "thing" (and that's not meant in a negative way).

Su-57 and J-20 are hardly for sale, too large and too expensive, F-35 is even more expensive,
Hard to say on what facts you are basing yourself to make such an affirmation. The F-35 being cheaper than many 4th gen jets as being ordered in quantities unreachable to any other jets and the J-20 or Su-57 being unafordable for their respective manufacturing country, it would seem more logical to state the opposite...

We've seen with F-35 the complexity introduced by trying for both VSTOL and CTOL in the same basic airframe. I don't think that complexity is consistent with something taking the export market as a major driver. In fact after F-35 I think even the US would think twice about combining the roles in one airframe. Better to build two optimised designs with (semi-)common avionics.

This is like twice as big and seems to have serious , but I get what you mean. A "fighter for the masses" so to say

Hard to say on what facts you are basing yourself to make such an affirmation. The F-35 being cheaper than many 4th gen jets as being ordered in quantities unreachable to any other jets and the J-20 or Su-57 being unafordable for their respective manufacturing country, it would seem more logical to state the opposite...
??
The F-35 looks cheaper, when the real costs are spread over several years, at least this is what Dan Grazier has argued. I very much doubt the J-20 is unaffordable to the Chinese, and it is clear that the Su-57 is not unaffordable to the Russian, because they are buying it like they buy the rest of their fighters. But ok.

As to the LTS, I tried to clean up a bit my understanding of the features present beneath the tarp. There is some asymmetry, I think the picture was not taken exactly form the front, but it looks weird. I am actually questioning myself, whether the nose wheel is exactly in the middle of the plane? Actually, it being displaced to one side would free more space for the EOTS...
Front_edit_009.jpg