Isn't that the oddly shaped beige radome that was fitted to the Su-57 in those factory photos?
I was thinking the exact same thing... Not the Su-57 stealth nose with shrp corners at all... Strange...

There are a lot of small details indicating that if its only a mock up, its a bloody detailed one!

Either of those suggestions are correct.

That´s what I thought. With regard to the latter, is it a warning in advance of a possible ban?
Could you please explain why exactly I deserve such a warning, when the only thing I did was post a harmless joke with regard to a NATO reporting name ?
I see other people in this and several other threads on this forum getting away with more 'heated contributions', without receiving such warning-jokes.
It was a harmless joke. I don't want this thread to become a trashbin of inventing funny NATO-reporting names for a plane that even didn't flew yet.

I plaid guilty for a lot of the siliness now in the ash heap of that forum history... no regrets, no offence, fair enough.

Article in Russian but it's a very good and useful summary regarding the leadup to this reveal and the context in which this program exists in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ventral bays seem to be long enough for the A2G ordnance, according to my previous (rough) measurements

This seems a bit optimistic. Could this hint that it's actually a prototype? I doubt it, and I think it's more likely that this is a very low estimate.
Probably it is some kind of prototype AND they are optimistic. They are talknig about first flight in 2023, you are not that far from that for not knowing where you stand or being at the very beginning of the development...

Planned time to serial production - 5.5 years
This seems a bit optimistic. Could this hint that it's actually a prototype? I doubt it, and I think it's more likely that this is a very low estimate.

First flight 2023? I thought that it would be sooner than that. :confused:
Two years from now - it basically means that flying prototype is about to begin assembly.
That's actually more than I personally thought to be likely.

by the way, when was the last time all of us got so excited about an aircraft unveil?
this year was great as we have the Checkmate and the KF-21.

but i dont recall anything generating so much updates since Pak-fa.. which was like 10 years ago?

Enjoy it as we likely wont see something again for a while
them chinese planes. many of us was so blindsided we thought it was made for a movie

Hi guys, this is what I think it could look like.. RVV-SD and RVV-MD in side bays, and a pair of Kh-59MK2 in the main weapons bay:

I agree that your models are great (and the best so far seen). I had a suggestions, but I deleted it before posting, because - upon reflection - I think you are right!

breathless hype and hysteria about what is a plastic mock up of a design which has no customer, no obvious funding stream, and which thus is unlikely to see the light of day in a meaningful timeframe.
Ahh I see assertions based of nothing, like what was previously going on in this thread, got it. Worry about results 1st, its like that one time I was the only user at a certain forum that kept bringing up the Su-70 will have an air to air role, everyone in disbelief than look what happened later.

Hi guys, this is what I think it could look like.. RVV-SD and RVV-MD in side bays, and a pair of Kh-59MK2 in the main weapons bay:
Are the kh59mk2 in that model modelled to be 5.7m or 4.2m long (kh69) ?
4.2 meters.

By the way, I couldn't resist:

since we still some free time until the unveil
I took your model and quickly shopped it with the roundels of potential customers

2zLMTPw.png

May I ask what you're basing the scaling off of? Looks about right, but I just want to get a rough idea on what kind of dimensional uncertainty there is.

What software do you use? To correct for perspective etc?

Or do you calculate it all by hand?

Summary of specs so far known:

Max. speed: 1.8-2.0 Mach
Max. combat radius: 1500 km
Max. range: 3000 km
Max. load: 7400 kg
Max. altitude: 16,500 m
Max. limit: 8 g
STOL: several hundred meters

Weapons in bays: up to 5 air-air missiles (2x RVV-MD, 3x RVV-SD)
Weapons under wings: anti-ship missiles (2x Kh-59MK)

First flight planned: 2023
New test planes: 2024-2025
Initial series: 2026
Time to serial production: 5.5 years

Cost: under 30 million USD per plane
Possible orders: up to 300 planes

You've decided I'm against the aircraft, and therefore that everything I say must be biased against it. I'm simply asking the questions I see based on 20+ years in the industry.
I dare you to say one thing positive ;)

The marketing has been superb. (That enough?)

It's a good looking aircraft, but there really is little more we can say about it until we know more about its intended role and systems, and how much economic backing it has. As it stands we know less about it than we did about the Textron Scorpion.

Seems too good to be true, do you have a source?

This is the ultimate Stealth per se: the Schrodinger's one. You think it's over NZ when it hasn't yet flown over Moscow.

See how the NZ air defense would have fired all their shots even before the mission Package had taken off.
Hurrah to Sukhoi Javascript department!
[/nervous laughter]
STOP the JOKES

Seems too good to be true, do you have a source?

The videos where the plane is shown to Putin, posted here recently.

I'm sorry, but even though this aircraft uses a lot of recycled SU-57 technology, as well as the fact that manufacturing costs in Russia are low, I can't see this fighter jet sold for that low of a price. It's just not possible. Unless Sukhoi is preparing to sell them at a loss in order to obtain a big launch order.

Isn't that the oddly shaped beige radome that was fitted to the Su-57 in those factory photos?
I was thinking the exact same thing... Not the Su-57 stealth nose with shrp corners at all... Strange...

There are a lot of small details indicating that if its only a mock up, its a bloody detailed one!
Would that mean it will have the same main radar as Su-57?

'm sorry, but even though this aircraft uses a lot of recycled SU-57 technology, as well as the fact that manufacturing costs in Russia are low, I just can't see this fighter jet sold for that low of a price. It's just not possible.
You seen the costs and capabilities of the Su-70?

Ventral bays seem to be long enough for the A2G ordnance, according to my previous (rough) measurements
I wonder if Kh-38 and KAB-250 will fit into the main bay.

I'm sorry, but even though this aircraft uses a lot of recycled SU-57 technology, as well as the fact that manufacturing costs in Russia are low, I can't see this fighter jet sold for that low of a price. It's just not possible. Unless Sukhoi is preparing to sell them at a loss in order to obtain a big launch order.
I concur. $40-45 mil sounds more realistic. This my estimate.

You could well be true, I just posted the info that I was able to hear and/or read and translate. :)