• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sukhoi Su-57 / T-50 / PAK FA - flight testing and development Part II

icyplanetnhc

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu
I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion on my part, but it appears that the composite nacelles on the "second stage" airframes appear to be of slightly larger diameter compared to the initial T-50 prototypes? Piotr Butowski has written that the "circumference of the after lower fuselage" was modified, so perhaps this was what he meant? Furthermore, when I look at pictures of T-50-3 after it received its new nacelles and paint scheme, the nacelles appear to be slightly larger as well. Did this occur to anyone else? I want to make sure that it's not confirmation bias on my part.

icyplanetnhc

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu
Here's an interesting tidbit about the AL-41F1 (izd. 117) from Air International October 2019. Apparently the only major difference between it and the 117S on the Su-35 is the engine control system; the izd. 117 engine control is a part of the aircraft, while the 117S has its own control unit. Thrust is also slightly greater, about 4.9 kN (500 kg) more. This is an interesting contrast to previous reporting that seemed to imply greater differences between the two.

Last edited: