Sukhoi Su-27 & 30/33/34/35: Famous Russian Aircraft

bercr

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Sukhoi-27-30-33-34/dp/1910809187/ref=sr_1_248

elmayerle

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Received my copy yesterday and it is a very thick, and very complete, book. It looks to be superb from the initial scans I've done; detailed reading will take a while.

One question for others who have this book, does yours have a certain peculiarity on the spine of both the book and the dust jacket? If yours does, you'll know what I mean without further description as it appears to be an almost unbelieveable "Oops".

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You mean where it says Tupolev instead of Sukhoi?

Yep, they all have that. Clearly the layout person reused an old file and failed to edit it correctly, and nobody picked it up in proofing. Apparently Crecy will send you a corrected dust jacket for free.

elmayerle

Reaction score
It's not just the dust jacket, it's on the spine of my copy, too. You have to wonder how that got through.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
elmayerle said:
It's not just the dust jacket, it's on the spine of my copy, too. You have to wonder how that got through.
Yep, but Crecy aren't going to replace the spine for you.

The problem is, the book is printed in China, and publishers have got rid of skilled in-house art / layout people. Its not the worst mistake made recently - that'd be the book printed low resolution so all the images are blurry.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Oh, I agree that the spine wouldn't be replaced. I'm keeping the book as is for amusement's sake. Ah, that would be the second French Secret Projects book?

I understand that outsourcing is becoming a necessity as business gets more cutthroat, but is decent supplier quality control supervision too much to ask? If I'd done something equally stupid when I was working as an engineer, I would have definitely been heavily penalized, if not fired. You know, something like not getting units conversions correct (Mars Observer, anyone?) or some equally inane actions.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is, the first time anyone sees the finished book is when 1000s have been printed in China and shipped. You can't print one copy as a preview.

I ended up with a small number of mistakes in my own book, despite my best efforts. Nothing as bad as this though :)

FighterJock

Reaction score
I was going to buy this book but the comments have made me think twice.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its only a cosmetic issue with the cover typo.

elmayerle

Reaction score
What Paul said; the book itself is superb and well worth buying. It's a hefty tome and crammed with information, some of which I had not really known. I can recommend the book highly, I'm just amused by the cover error.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Perhaps I will give the book another chance and buy it, I have the original 2007 original version after all.

Pasoleati

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
How come the dustjacket is already damaged (top corners)?