Submersible aircraft

I found the Dassault Trifibium (that's my drawing from the artwork)

Attachments

• Dassault Trifibium.jpg
    Dassault Trifibium.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 396
Hi All, my first post here :)

This scan is from April 1992 issue of an now defunct Yugoslav Science magazine, Galaksija.

According to article, top speed was 600 km/h.

The plane lands like normal hydroplane. After that, four hatches are closed to protect the two turboreactors. The wings are contracted like scissors and two hydrojets take the control, powering the plane up to 20km/h.

The plane has a 8*2 watertight compartment for 12 passengers. In case of engine failure, the craft ejects the water from the tanks and surfaces.

This was the project of an student of industrial design (the name is not mentioned) with assistance of CNRS engineers. Dassault Aviation sponsored the project.

Attachments

• Trifibija.jpg
    Trifibija.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 990
Hi All, my first post here

Thank you very much !!!!!! and welcome here :)

Antonio

I've looking for that info for years :eek:

lol, i have always loved the idea of sumbmersible aircraft... but never understood the reasoning for why
But the sticking point in my mind has always been that aircraft are designed to keep pressure in, submarines pressure out. Aircraft are designed to be lightwieght and subs heavily constructed to take the pressures of being submerged.
Seems like the compromises would be crippling to any design...

bigvlada said:
Hi All, my first post here :)

This scan is from April 1992 issue of an now defunct Yugoslav Science magazine, Galaksija.

Why do I seem to fixate on the word april?

but never understood the reasoning for why

the Trifibium was designed for shuttle service between shore bases and submarine installations in shallow waters. There were lots of designs for that facilities in the 60's and 70's intended for aquiculture, research or leisure.

Anyone ever see that submersible P-40 from "Sky Captain And the World Of Tomorrow"? :D LMFAO!!!!

Feast your eyes on this DARPA video. its amazing.

http://gizmodo.com/5059668/darpa-working-on-a-submersible-aircraft-that-can-go-from-air-to-sea

lol, love how they have chosen to put a large glass panel low on the nose, just where the most pressure will be when landing on water...
Also i am slightly dubious about the ability of that shape to unstick from the water. I think i would have some hydroskis a la convair sea dart.
The overall shape though is one that i would agree with, fairly high structural efficiency. A high proportion of the volume would have to be "wet volume" ie outside of a pressure hull for the crew. However the pressure hull is going to be the heaviest part of the craft i reckon so it makes sense that there is as much as possible outside of it, to reduce the size of the pressure hull.
As far as engines go i dont see why they dont choose recip engines which i believe (though this is only a guess) are better suited to operating in a marine environment.

my 2p ;)

(its easy being a critic isnt it :p )

Orionblamblam said:
Y'all know this is a design from a crappy 1960's sci-fi TV show, right?

"Voyage to the bottom of the sea"
Flying sub and Seaview
From "Best of SFM "-vol.1
and http://www.culttvman.com/david_merriman_s_flying_sub.html

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 304
  • Escanear.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6
Hey looks what's just new at "flightglobal" ???

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/10/08/317172/picture-darpa-seeks-submersible-aircraft-concepts.html

A submersible aircraft's performance requirements have been outlined in a US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency broad agency announcement that requests a concept design and proposals for proof of concept experiments by 1 December.

DARPA's strategic technology office wants an aircraft that can reach a destination, whether it is 1,850km (1,000nm) away by air or 185km by sea or 22km travelling underwater, in less than 8h.

Carrying a crew of eight and 910kg (2,000lb) of payload it would use a snorkel to provide its powerplant's air supply while submerged at shallow depths once at its target. The submersible aircraft would be used for inserting small clandestine teams along coastal waters. After the insertion it could then loiter for up to three days, perhaps at the surface, until the crew rejoined it.

DARPA admits that past efforts in the same area included failed designs to make a submarine fly: "Prior attempts to demonstrate a vehicle with the manoeuvrability of both a submersible and an aircraft have primarily explored approaches that would endow flight capability to platforms that were largely optimised for underwater operations. Unfortunately these attempts have been unsuccessful."

Because the flow conditions of being underwater are so different to being airborne, due to the fluids' respective densities, DARPA also envisages a platform that reconfigures for the two different domains.

Deino

Attachments

• submersible aircraft.jpg
    submersible aircraft.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 291
Too bad Rutan is busy with other endeavors. I could see Scaled Composites coming up with a creative solution to this challenge and building a subscale demonstrator.

Justo Miranda said:
From "Best of SFM "-vol.1

and besides, EVRYONE knows that Sky-1 from UFO would beat that in a straight fight........ ;D

Here Sky 1
from "Best of SFM" vol.1 and APMA 4-87
model by Greg Martin

Attachments

• Escanear0003.jpg
    Escanear0003.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 222
Ah, I would have needed this drawings about 40 years ago !
It was always very difficult to built the Skydiver with Lego bricks, with the
shape only stored in ourmemories. No video recorder, or soemthing like that .
And we were never sure, how it should land and rendzvous with the
diver part again ... :D

Wonder how Flight came up with the concept since it is after all a trade journal and not an engineering concern although I know several of their journalists have engineering backgrounds. Graham Warwick who is now with Aviation Week was one of them. I used to enjoy his Woracle Blog when he was still with Flight.

Jemiba said:
Ah, I would have needed this drawings about 40 years ago !
It was always very difficult to built the Skydiver with Lego bricks, with the
shape only stored in ourmemories. No video recorder, or soemthing like that .
And we were never sure, how it should land and rendzvous with the
diver part again ... :D

Hi Jemiba
LEGO had not yet been invented at that time !
There were just silex tools ...
Here some pics from "21 st century visions" by Derek Meddings ,Paper tiger 1993

Attachments

• Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 431
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 474
  • Escanear0003.jpg
    Escanear0003.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 344
  • Escanear0004.jpg
    Escanear0004.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 346
Great pictures, thank you !

But about Lego : Just have a look at wikipedia, the patent for the today
well known form of the bricks was filed in 1958, I got my first ones around 1964
or 65, I think, our neighbours son already had them and it was always difficult
for my parents, to get me home from him again ... ::)

Just an attempt for a 3-view :
Judging size and position of the wing, the hydrofoil at the bow doubles as canard in flight, so the aerodynamically layout is somewhat similar to the Piaggio P.180 Avanti.
As a Tri-phibium, it would have been able to take-off and land on a runway, but still
yet, I can’t figure out the position of the landing gear. Main gear retracting into the
fuselage, ok, but where’s the nose gear ?
Clues and comments welcome !

Attachments

• tri.GIF
    tri.GIF
    88.4 KB · Views: 369
Perhaps I missed it among the earlier posts, but here is DARPA's request for submersible aircraft studies:

https://www.fbo.gov/download/5bc/5bc436ac4a4724b165cf6b49f58cae12/baa_09_06_submersible_aircraft_baa_pct_final.pdf

If anyone has the original series of 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy Models' magazine published by Mike Reccia, there were some concept drawings for a submersible fighter by Mike Trim (IIRC) for a proposed new marionation series in one of earlier issues (can't remember which). I do not know whether it was featured in his art book. If any forum member has access to both, please do post the pics. Thanks.

typical of me to stray , excuse me for that but any chance of finding similar drawings of the Eagle transport of Space 1999 , and "vipers" and Cylons from Galactica ?

thanks .

r16 said:
typical of me to stray , excuse me for that but any chance of finding similar drawings of the Eagle transport of Space 1999 , and "vipers" and Cylons from Galactica ?

thanks .

Take look at http://www.wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com/ Lots of drawings of fictional starships etc.

Regards,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark

PS: Re. LEGO. According to legend, the name "LEGO" comes from the Danish term "LEg GOdt", meaning "To play well". Later, the company realised that in Latin (maybe, it's all Greek to me), LEGO supposedly means "I put together".

thanks for the link , ı have already spent some time there but the drawings so far ı have noticed are small scale , ı would like somewhat bigger versions to paint for my self .

From http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Pages/default.aspx, 30 October 2008:

DARPA Eyes Submersible Aircraft: DARPA wants to explore the feasibility of developing a single platform that is capable of flying through the air like a traditional aircraft and then submerging below the water to clandestinely insert small teams of special operators along coastlines. According to a broad agency announcement issued earlier this month, the agency intends to sponsor multiple studies of concepts that combine the speed and range of an aircraft with the loiter capabilities of a boat and the stealth of a submarine. Of particular interest are experiments that provide proof that an aircraft of this type could maneuver underwater, DARPA said. Envisioned is a platform capable of carrying eight operators and their equipment into theater, inserting them, and then extracting them. Notional design parameters are a total unrefueled range of 1,000 nautical miles airborne, 200 nm on the surface, and 24 nm subsurface. Creating such a platform is no easy task, DARPA acknowledged, since the design requirements for a submersible (heavy weight for submerging) and an aircraft (minimize weight) are “diametrically opposed.”

can anyone give any information about the following submersible aircraft:

M Evans design (picture 01.jpg on pg 1 of this topic);
Popadales airship;
Reid airship;
submersible plane (pic 2 on pg 1 of this topic);

thanks

amsci99 said:
If anyone has the original series of 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy Models' magazine published by Mike Reccia, there were some concept drawings for a submersible fighter by Mike Trim (IIRC) for a proposed new marionation series in one of earlier issues (can't remember which). I do not know whether it was featured in his art book. If any forum member has access to both, please do post the pics. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this; I've only just seen this post.

I had the complete first year of 'SF & F Models' and put them in the skip twelve years ago when we moved house... something for which I've kicked myself at regular intervals since.

I'm wondering if you're thinking of Martin Bower's 'Starguard' project, which featured heavily in those early editions. You might be able to find what you've described at the link below:

http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.com/html/starguard.html

Hi,

http://www.vtol.boom.ru/

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 189
...You know, there's something to be said about Soviet designs so quirky/retarded that you actually want them to not only work, but to own one of your own :p

can anyone answer my querry above regarding unknown submersible aircraft?

Merv_P said:
Sorry for the delay in replying to this; I've only just seen this post.

I had the complete first year of 'SF & F Models' and put them in the skip twelve years ago when we moved house... something for which I've kicked myself at regular intervals since.

I'm wondering if you're thinking of Martin Bower's 'Starguard' project, which featured heavily in those early editions. You might be able to find what you've described at the link below:

http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.com/html/starguard.html

Merv,

I'm afraid that's not the one. It's a design by Mike Trim for an un-named series. I do not know whether it appears in his book.

Hi,

the General Dyanmics flying submarine.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1965/1965%20-%201993.html

Attachments

• submersible.JPG
    submersible.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 284
This is not a General Dynamics project Hesham
but an April foolsday joke by one of the Flight readers.

date on the page April 1...