Submarine news, analysis and projects

covert_shores

Research + illustration
Reaction score
Website
www.hisutton.com
Ahoi shipwrecks,

Starting a general thread on submarine news, analysis and projects which fall outside the scope of the Secret Projects Naval section, even if they do have an air of secrecy and mystery to them.

In recent news Russia launched the fourth Borei class SSBN. This is the first Project 0955A borei-II (or borei-A). Count (or prince) Vladimir.

My analysis. http://www.hisutton.com/Borei-A.html Attached is a schematic I've quickly done. We haven't seen the front end of the boat yet but previous borei reused Akula attack subs bow sections, and although the new boat will be a fresh build and updated, it cannot be too different.

Overall the new boat seems more westernized in design terms,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 210

Even though its missiles were aimed at my cities...I will miss the Typhoons...at least it didn't look like Quasimodo like the other Soviet Boomers.

For all the changes from borei to borei a it looks like the pressure hull is very similar. Are these based upon actual open source data? I know Sutton is good at his work.

The construction of Taiwan’s first indigenous submarine reached a new phase Tuesday (Nov. 16) with an official “keel laying” ceremony.

While submarines do not have a keel, the term, which is common in shipbuilding, was used to denote the completion of a connection between the tower-like structure at the top of the submarine with the hull, website Newtalk reported. Pressure tests were also included in the current phase of the construction, according to the report.

Is there a good reason for Taiwan to be building their own submarine instead of
having someone else ?

That doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't think that the Chinese would allow them to build
one ether.

That doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't think that the Chinese would allow them to build
one ether.

Taiwan builds lots of military equipment that China would probably prefer they did not.

These subs are being built largely with US knowhow. There has been talk over the years of building subs for Taiwan in the United States, but it's challenging, because the USN won't let them be built by yards that also build nuclear subs for fear that certain sensitive tech will migrate. (And these days, the US sub yards are pretty much at their max capacity.)

MOSCOW, 18 April. /TASS/. The lead non-nuclear submarine of project 677 (code "Lada") "St. Petersburg" is planned for decommissioning. This was reported to TASS by two sources.

"The St. Petersburg submarine is planned to be decommissioned, since its modernization is very expensive, and a new boat can be built with these funds," the agency's interlocutor in the military-industrial complex said. This information was confirmed by a second source close to the Navy, adding that "the decision on this matter has been made."

TASS has no official confirmation of this information.

Earlier, a source in the military-industrial complex told TASS that the St. Petersburg was in Kronstadt awaiting repairs and modernization.

The lead diesel-electric submarine of project 677 "St. Petersburg" after trial operation, which began in May 2010, in September 2021 became part of the Northern Fleet. It was founded in 2005, its construction was suspended and was resumed only in 2013. The second and third buildings of the project are at different stages of construction.

Another 2 submarines of Project 677 were contracted at the Army-2019 International Military-Technical Forum.

MOSCOW, 18 April. /TASS/. The lead non-nuclear submarine of project 677 (code "Lada") "St. Petersburg" is planned for decommissioning. This was reported to TASS by two sources.

"The St. Petersburg submarine is planned to be decommissioned, since its modernization is very expensive, and a new boat can be built with these funds," the agency's interlocutor in the military-industrial complex said. This information was confirmed by a second source close to the Navy, adding that "the decision on this matter has been made."

TASS has no official confirmation of this information.

Earlier, a source in the military-industrial complex told TASS that the St. Petersburg was in Kronstadt awaiting repairs and modernization.

The lead diesel-electric submarine of project 677 "St. Petersburg" after trial operation, which began in May 2010, in September 2021 became part of the Northern Fleet. It was founded in 2005, its construction was suspended and was resumed only in 2013. The second and third buildings of the project are at different stages of construction.

Another 2 submarines of Project 677 were contracted at the Army-2019 International Military-Technical Forum.

Is it the case this class's lead boat just didn't work after the very extended construction and design phase? Are the other two still going to be built?

Submarine news fits here? Okay.
Saw a thing about the Type 206A submarine U-17 being transported overland to a museum.
Saw this comment on it,
"
Paolo Messeca
1 hour ago

And now I hope it would be remainded the visitors what use this kind of submarine has been made during WW II
"

(I would put the quote in a quote block except forum software insists on including my text below no matter what I've tried in order to prevent that)

:rolleyes: Unless time travel is real it is most unlikely for "this kind of submarine" which wasn't even laid down until 1970 to have been used in WW2.